The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1 hour ago, Harvey Specter said:

Vasy getting good praise from Larionov - he has demonstrated great leadership and poise throughout the Karjala Cup! 

Surprising that he does well when he actually has a chance to play and isn't being constantly jerked around the lineup/between teams.

58 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Surprising that he does well when he actually has a chance to play and isn't being constantly jerked around the lineup/between teams.

Except he’s not jerked around the team and gets ample ice time. He was reassigned to the VHL in order to get longer game minutes prior to this tournament and for the WJC, it was actually a development move to do so, not a demotion.

Also the KHL is a competitive league, just because someone is a prospect that a NHL team has an interest in doesn’t mean they get given ice time. They have to be good enough to earn it, just like a prospect would to step up from the AHL or CHL

Excellent article from Athletic today in relation to play in the last tournament.

Quote from Benning "

“He’s the type of player that good players like to play with because he’ll do all the dirty work and heavy lifting for them.”

Another quote from Athletic hockey analyst Scott Wheeler:

“I think Podkolzin has progressed about where I expected he would from his draft year to this point. He’s the kind of player who should be able to drive a third line, be a big part of a second line, or be more of a role player as the third-best player on a first line. I’ve never believed he was going to be a top-line driver, and honestly think some of the conversations about his upside haven’t done a good enough job contextualizing his deficiencies.

“But he’s still got the tools to be a very good NHL player who is a big part of the Canucks’ future, and there’s no question he should be playing more than he has.”

This about sums it up for me.  Someone mentioned Burrows type of player... If say that is more of a realistic expectation.... Anything more then that (aka Miller/Stone comparison) is gravy.  Can't wait to get his jersey!!!

Edited by Hogs & Podz

I don't blame SKA for limiting his ice time. Why invest in a player who will most likely be gone after the season? Good to see his play hasn't diminished with his limited ice time in the KHL. We are in desperate need of a big man on the wing who can play up and down the lineup. I sure hope Podz is that guy.

3 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

I don't blame SKA for limiting his ice time. Why invest in a player who will most likely be gone after the season? Good to see his play hasn't diminished with his limited ice time in the KHL. We are in desperate need of a big man on the wing who can play up and down the lineup. I sure hope Podz is that guy.

I don't get this thinking. Why should they play a 19 year old top 6 minutes in their top pro league and arguably the 2nd best league in the world if they feel he isn't ready for it? This has nothing to do with investing time. If they felt this way, they would've just burned his contract and let him walk altogether rather than having him in the system still. How is this different than say us sending a young player to the AHL if we feel they would be better off getting the minutes there?

If we have a player that is going to be UFA and doesn't plan on re-signing with us, do we not bother playing them at all and try to bury them? They want to keep a good rep with Podkolzin as he's likely a national representative for their country, it looks good for other players that want to see how the team treats it's players, and keeps the door open should Podkolzin want to return to Russia to play.

His play hasn't diminished because he's still being developed into a complete player. He's dominant against lesser competition which is a good start but he's being groomed to play with the big boys. There are plenty of players that can dominate a lesser league and get cocky and don't make the jump to the pros. I, for one, am glad they aren't just handing him minutes and making him earn it.

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

We do need more grit/size/skill on our wings. JT Miller illustrated how profoundly 1 great addition can boost a lineup.

Hoping VP & KL can arrive, as players we've all envisioned. Hoglander too

Then there's pressure on Jake & Brock to continually up their game. All of this leads to a bar for W's being raised higher & higher. Factor in the 3 young quality C's we have, & appears we've got a fwd cast shaping up quite nicely. Be interesting to see how lines come together in 2, 3 yrs' time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It is an interesting time, as a Canuck fan for sure............

With Pods playing well, when given the opportunity, Kole Lind and Juolevi improving, Utica is doing their job...

Add to that Jack Rathbone's dna, and we are adding some serious potential. that and Hoglander, will put us in 

good stead for years to come.

In addition, the potential for Tryamkin to come in after playing very well in the KHL and Karlsson now, starting to so well

and we are looking just fine.

It will be fun to see who we add to this list..........DiPietro?, Woo, Utunen, Zlodeyev, Truscott, etc........I wonder who steps up?

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

It is an interesting time, as a Canuck fan for sure............

With Pods playing well, when given the opportunity, Kole Lind and Juolevi improving, Utica is doing their job...

Add to that Jack Rathbone's dna, and we are adding some serious potential. that and Hoglander, will put us in 

good stead for years to come.

In addition, the potential for Tryamkin to come in after playing very well in the KHL and Karlsson now, starting to so well

and we are looking just fine.

It will be fun to see who we add to this list..........DiPietro?, Woo, Utunen, Zlodeyev, Truscott, etc........I wonder who steps up?

Jurmo...

.. I see a Benning trend , I see a true farm system..

attrition good players out for picks , balance great players, and welcome the unforeseen potential in our 3rd to 7th rnd picks.

• Cheers 1

Podz looks like what we hoped Jake would be...a hard nosed guy who drives the net through people if he can't get around them...and actually really tries to score...instead of just getting the puck on net and skating by hoping it went in...

Jake could learn from him...I hope he is over here this season to help be tuff to play against...!

• Cheers 1

I see him taking a similar path as Bo did.  He will be on the 4th line and maybe around 10g 12a.  I am excited to see Podz over here but expecting him to be a top 6 forward right away is a set up for disappointment.  :towel:Podz :towel:  B)

20 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I see him taking a similar path as Bo did.  He will be on the 4th line and maybe around 10g 12a.  I am excited to see Podz over here but expecting him to be a top 6 forward right away is a set up for disappointment.  :towel:Podz :towel:  B)

I think he's roughly 1-2 years behind Virtanen's current level of development (at 5 years his junior). And arguably with better defensive acumen.