The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1 minute ago, mll said:

Podz is at the WJC preparation camp. 

Thanks, I was wondering about all the conflicting schedules, quarantines, training camps, etc, right now.

What the hell?  Podz is so good, he can play on all the teams!  At the same time.

(Man, I'm desperate for some hockey.)

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, mll said:

Going by these tweets from McKenzie where he says only players in team camps today (Monday) will be WJC eligible.  Teams can no longer add players to their preliminary roster and can only remove them from that point on.  

Mll

When I first started noticing you....you bugged me.......you seemed like a know it all

But you really do know it all! :emot-parrot:

Now you are one of my go to guys, for info :bigblush:

Keep up the good work! :goat:...well not there yet, but you are doing great!

There is large interview with Igor Larionov, Roman Roterberg (vice-president of Russian Hockey Federation) and Vladislav Tretyak (president of RHF). Some quotes from Larionov:

- Is Podkolzin the captain?

- Yes, he is the team captain. Vasily has been with the junior team for the third year already, we know his qualities as a leader. Podkolzin has high ambitions, he is example for all other guys. This is a master, and a man who pushes everyone forward. We will select his team assistants in Edmonton. Vasily is an excellent professional, we are pleased with his work in this training camp. It is nice to see his focus and impact in every workout, this turns guys on and it's a very good sign.

- How the first two lines look like at the moment?

- Based on the Karjala Cup, there is understanding that Khusnutdinov-Podkolzin line works very well. Safonov-Chinakhov line also works excellent. We are looking who are going to play with them on wing, and we also look for Plan B is something needs to be changed during the game. We have very interesting team in terms of skills, talent, improvisation, work ethic, that allows us to change the lineup almost every game. Guys play very well in any combination. No one has any complaints, all players show decent hockey. The line combinations will be finally decided in two friendly games.

- The right side is obviously the strongest in this team: Podkolzin, Amirov, Chinakhov. Did you try one of them on other wing?

- Definitely we tried. Game requires aggressiveness, active pressure from the place of loosing the puck. The more we play offensively, the more we play to win and to keep the whole team moving. All the guys play where the situation dictates. The wing question is only about position during face off, the task is to have total control of the puck, compact defence and attack. The coaching staff is pleased with the latest training sessions. Many game elements were worked out, that were difficult at the beginning. You always need patience with the players who just start to play with each other and then their play is going to look more efficient, harmonious and energy consuming. The puck moves faster than the legs, and it is harder for opponents to stop.

About the covid situation...

Larionov:

- How did you work with the players regarding the coronavirus situation?

- This question is more to the medical staff. We don't let the guys to the ice without the full medical examination. All guys played with their clubs before the camp, there was full monitoring of each selected player. The guys arrived in very good shape, they became stronger and faster during the camp. We did not have any contacts during the camp, rehearsed the bubble that is going to be in Edmonton. The entire team is clean, everyone has passed three negative covid tests. Judging by the players mood, everyone is ready and in perfect conditions.

Roman Roterberg:

The team did a great job for two weeks. We are not looking at what happening with other teams in connection with coronavirus, we monitor only our situation. I can tell you in fact: this junior team has no problem. Obviously this is important that all best national teams play in the tournament but we cannot impact the world situation.

I did not experience the NHL bubble, but what our players told me is the highest level of organization. WJC will have the same conditions, excellent accommodation, food and leisure. This will be a whole city of clean zone. We have full understanding that everyone will be safe. This is going to be valuable experience for the players.

We study all current covid vaccines. But there is no research so far at how vaccines affect body, physics, psychology of athlete. Possibly this would be done next year and then we would consider the players vaccination. We cannot take the risk of vaccination now, and I repeat once again - we don't have any problem with coronavirus in the team.

On 12/9/2020 at 6:31 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Mll

When I first started noticing you....you bugged me.......you seemed like a know it all

But you really do know it all! :emot-parrot:

Now you are one of my go to guys, for info :bigblush:

Keep up the good work! :goat:...well not there yet, but you are doing great!

Yeah mll is just an informant. There are others here that have the scoop but I find only VC/mll seem to not have any stern biases or opinions. Just seems to inform the misinformed which is appreciated.

• Cheers 2

Some details were published about two unlucky flights of 6 national European teams to Edmonton yesterday.

Initially it was planned that teams of Finland, Sweden, Russia would fly on one charter airplane to Canada and Slovakia, Austria, Czech Rep. on another. Everything looked reasonable on paper but as soon as two Scandinavian teams and Russia gathered in the international airport in Helsinki, problems began. It turned out that the teams and broadcast representatives simply did not fit on the plane.

For some reason IIHF entered into an agreement with the little known Polish charter airline Enterair which provided the medium-range airplane Boeing 737-800 for such long transatlantic flight. Moreover, the route to Edmonton turned out to be amazing with two stops in Reykjavik, Iceland for fueling and in the exotic place of Kargerlussuaq, Greenland for unknown reason.

One way or another, it became clear that three teams did not fit on the plane - or rather, their bulky hockey luggage did not fit. The airline staff did not think of anything better than to put luggage right in the aisle in the passenger compartment but the team representatives, already outraged, said that they would not go "on suitcases". "At some point trunks, hockey equipment and other luggage began to be packed into the salon. Then we organized the meeting with representatives from the national teams of Sweden and Russia. It was jointly decided to refuse to fly on such an aircraft. This is a safety issue and violation of aviation regulations", said general manager of the Finnish national team Kimmo Oikarinen.

Critical arrows were sent to the IIHF which representatives could not properly organize a  fairly simple flight by not thinking about the aircraft capacity. Finns tried to quickly negotiate the flight with Finnair. "I would like the teams and players to be respected because we strive to prepare ourselves as best as possible to the tournament. In this we are united together with the national teams of Sweden and Russia. Nobody asks for any miracles but we just need decent conditions for the flight", said the Finnish head coach Antti Pennanen. "It's nice to see the three main rivals doing something together, even if for this we had to hang around the airport more than we should", said Linus Hugosson, spokesman for the Swedish national team.

As a result, the departure of three teams were delayed by more than four hours. Some luggage will be delivered to Edmonton on the cargo airplane and this also raises some questions. Separate luggage will be treated with antiseptics and go through "quarantine" since there is small chance of bringing virus inside "the bubble" with hockey goods.

And not surprisingly, the same problem with the aircraft capacity arose for three other teams - Slovakia, Austria and Czech Rep., that were trying to board the similar charter flight in Vienna.

• Haha 2

On 12/13/2020 at 9:55 AM, Stierlitz said:

There was the problem of accommodating three national teams into one airplane booked by IIHF considering the covid social distance requirement, fortunately this seems to be okay now

2 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Some details were published about two unlucky flights of 6 national European teams to Edmonton yesterday.

Initially it was planned that teams of Finland, Sweden, Russia would fly on one charter airplane to Canada and Slovakia, Austria, Czech Rep. on another. Everything looked reasonable on paper but as soon as two Scandinavian teams and Russia gathered in the international airport in Helsinki, problems began. It turned out that the teams and broadcast representatives simply did not fit on the plane.

For some reason IIHF entered into an agreement with the little known Polish charter airline Enterair which provided the medium-range airplane Boeing 737-800 for such long transatlantic flight. Moreover, the route to Edmonton turned out to be amazing with two stops in Reykjavik, Iceland for fueling and in the exotic place of Kargerlussuaq, Greenland for unknown reason.

One way or another, it became clear that three teams did not fit on the plane - or rather, their bulky hockey luggage did not fit. The airline staff did not think of anything better than to put luggage right in the aisle in the passenger compartment but the team representatives, already outraged, said that they would not go "on suitcases". "At some point trunks, hockey equipment and other luggage began to be packed into the salon. Then we organized the meeting with representatives from the national teams of Sweden and Russia. It was jointly decided to refuse to fly on such an aircraft. This is a safety issue and violation of aviation regulations", said general manager of the Finnish national team Kimmo Oikarinen.

Critical arrows were sent to the IIHF which representatives could not properly organize a  fairly simple flight by not thinking about the aircraft capacity. Finns tried to quickly negotiate the flight with Finnair. "I would like the teams and players to be respected because we strive to prepare ourselves as best as possible to the tournament. In this we are united together with the national teams of Sweden and Russia. Nobody asks for any miracles but we just need decent conditions for the flight", said the Finnish head coach Antti Pennanen. "It's nice to see the three main rivals doing something together, even if for this we had to hang around the airport more than we should", said Linus Hugosson, spokesman for the Swedish national team.

As a result, the departure of three teams were delayed by more than four hours. Some luggage will be delivered to Edmonton on the cargo airplane and this also raises some questions. Separate luggage will be treated with antiseptics and go through "quarantine" since there is small chance of bringing virus inside "the bubble" with hockey goods.

And not surprisingly, the same problem with the aircraft capacity arose for three other teams - Slovakia, Austria and Czech Rep., that were trying to board the similar charter flight in Vienna.

Is stuffing sardine cans a European thing? I guess you have to get used to the European acceptance of royalty and their opinion that peasants and their armor are much larger in reality than when viewed from far behind the line of battle.

• Wat 1

16 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Except the IIHF is based in Switzerland with no monarch (we are not counting the winner of a wrestling contest and a prize cow) has a fairly large french staff (again a republic) and is bordered by Austria, France, Germany and Italy all republics.

whereas Canada is a constitutional monarchy 

Point well taken. I was merely trying to find a little irony in the situation for the purpose of humor, and don’t mind a bit that I find myself the butt of some in turn. To quote from “The Count of Monte Cristo” - “King’s to you.” 

At least actually at the moment, but not historically.

Canada is a parliamentary democracy with a titular only monarch. The monarch has no actual power. As for Austria, Germany, Italy, and two thirds of France, they were ruled by effective monarchical leaders as recently as the Second World War- remember der Fuhrer and ‘Il Duce’? And those guys the people actually voted in to rule them. I don’t believe Canada has ever had that situation until the advent of this plague - Canada has always been a parliamentary democracy, but that is not true of Europe. 

As for Switzerland, it is:

Switzerland, officially the Swiss Confederation, is a collection of semi-autonomous cantons. As membership of the confederation has fluctuated throughout history, each of these cantons has its own unique history and nobility. Typically, each canton had its own constitution, currency, jurisdiction, habits, customs, history, and nobility.”

per Wikipedia.

• Cheers 1