The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

One of the good things about Podz is he can play on any line and contribute.  When Bo broke in to the league, he started on the 4th line and worked his way up. He could do that because he was big and strong and could bang and hit like anyone else his size.  Podz is the same kind of player.  He could be just as effective on the forth line as he could be in the top 6.  If Podz development mirrors Bo's, I don't think we will have any trouble with Podz development if we are patient.  B)

There are a lot of similarities between Horvat and Podkolzin, especially when it comes to impressions and predictions, prior to joining the NHL.

Easy to forget that many pundits suggested Bo would likely top out as a good #3C, but that he lacked the elite skill, flash, and production to be a top-6 player in the NHL. Boy, did he ever prove people wrong.

Podkolzin, in many ways, gives you the winger version of a Horvat. Here’s hoping he shatters expectations (of some) to the same degree Bo did.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

^^Craig Button not pulling any punches in that quote! :towel:

And the thing is, he’s 100% right. Podkolzin is the type of player any good NHLer wants on his line. The kid is all effort, all motor, and plays full out all the time. He has enough skill and hockey IQ to play with top players, but he’s not flashy, and he likely won’t be the top point earner on his line. And that’s just fine. Skilled players will love having a guy with them who’ll push the pace, work his butt off at both ends, help drive possession, and be a hound on puck recoveries. Podkolzin is exactly what the Canucks need to add to their mix of young skilled forwards.

Where things get really exciting is when you consider Höglander also joining the group, guys like Lind and McDonough also potentially adding some top-six talent, along with grit and heavy games, Jake hopefully learning to play to his potential, and a bunch of other young guys with real shots at rounding out the remaining bottom-six spots. With a spine down the middle of Petey (likely a top-5 superstar for years to come) and Horvat (top quality #2C) and wingers like JT Miller (first line talent) and Boeser (another first line talent). Just need Gauds to take another step, when it comes to his defence and faceoffs, or acquire a high end #3C, and this forward group has the pieces to be nearly complete. And a very strong and well balanced group, from top to bottom, assuming these kids develop properly (which isn’t guaranteed, but I feel pretty good about Pod, Hogs, Lind, and McD all having great shots at making it).

Definitely still some things needs to fall into place, when it comes to the young guys reaching their potential (or close to it), but you can easily see how this future team will shape up, and Podkolzin should play a huge part in everything coming together.

I have a feeling Podkolzin won't put up offensive eye popping numbers, but a lot of goals, plays, and chances will be directly centered based on the things that he does on the ice like you mentioned above. I see him as a huge integral piece going forward. He is the kind of forward you win with.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

22 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I have a feeling Podkolzin won't put up offensive eye popping numbers, but a lot of goals, plays, and chances will be directly centered based on the things that he does on the ice like you mentioned above. I see him as a huge integral piece going forward. He is the kind of forward you win with.

I see him being a "big game player" like Horvat always is in the playoffs. 

From what I have seen, which is limited, he has strong fundamentals and an incredible work ethic. combined with high level 1st round talent it is looking promising. high character proven by captaining the WJC team. so many positives here.

JB's drafting prowess sure is looking to pay high dividends for us

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Couldn't have said it better myself!

If the world juniors go ahead, I expect Podz to be a dominant force and the best player on his team (not necessarily reflected in point totals but rather his impact on the overall games).

Hoping Larionov removes the leash POdz has been dealing with in the KHL for the past while here.

• Cheers 2

Russian captain Vasily Podkolzin spoke about the national team quarantine in Edmonton and what coronavirus rules would apply during the coming tournament:

We have been sitting for two and a half days, we just pick up food and undergo tests every morning. There is some problem with sleep obviously, we need to get used to new time zone. We get up in the morning, take the coronavirus test, breakfast, then free for two hours. Then exercises with Zoom video app, everyone has some equipment in the hotel room: all sorts of rubber bands, rollers, carpets. Then lunch, dinner. Something like this.

Regarding safety rules... First, it`s social distance - several people are not permitted in elevator, obviously you go everywhere with a mask, without mask you only go to the ice and in your room. We were told not to spit on the ice, we could not celebrate goals either - I don`t know how strictly this would be suppressed but there was something like this. This is information so far...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Russian captain Vasily Podkolzin spoke about the national team quarantine in Edmonton and what coronavirus rules would apply during the coming tournament:

No celebrating goals?

They’ll be sitting shoulder to shoulder with other players on the bench. But no the virus will wait till they celebrate to attack!  

Honestly some of these arbitrary rules are so ridiculous.

• Haha 2

Manager of the Swedish junior team Jonas Fransson will not participate in WJC-2021 in Canada. Fransson reportedly violated the quarantine rules in Edmonton. The manager left his hotel to go to the airport to pick up the forgotten luggage. General Secretary of the Swedish Hockey Association Johan Stark said that Fransson had already flown home. 

"I have not spoken to him myself. But this is a human mistake. When you get into the bubble, you should be in your room. According to Fransson, he took a taxi to the airport because he forgot something there. But the bubble rules would not allow to enter the bubble again. He is very disappointed", Stark said.

Swedish team has already lost the head coach, assistant head coach and video coach before the flight to Edmonton due to coronavirus and still does not take it seriously...

44 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Swedish team has already lost the head coach, assistant head coach and video coach before the flight to Edmonton due to coronavirus and still does not take it seriously...

Wait so who’s actually running things?

Are we gonna see a player coached and managed team?

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Wait so who’s actually running things?

Are we gonna see a player coached and managed team?

Head coach Thomas Monten was promptly replaced with Yoel Ronnmark who was head coach for the national U18 team for the last four years. All members of the coaching staff who did not pass the coronavirus test are going to help the national team remotely as consultants. I did not mention the goalie coach Nizze Landen in my previous post, he was also tested positive for covid and stayed in Sweden.

As we know, Sweden is probably the only European country where the covid national quarantine has not been officially declared anytime in 2020.