The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1:13 Igor Larionov begins to dissect what he has in Vasili Podkolzin.

“One of the biggest tasks for me, when I’m getting the boys from the KHL teams, they’re very strict, by the system, by the coaches, because they’re young. So the coaches, obviously, they’re under the pressure, so they’re not letting the boys [make] mistakes. When they come to my hands […] I let them play the game, create some chances […] I like Vasili from last year, [he] needs special attention, in terms of [letting] him play, to understand the game and to play the right game in certain situations […] [there’s] no doubt in my mind he’s a team leader and he’s the guy who can handle the pressure, who can do the [little things well]. His skill level is top-notch. Sometimes he’s doing a bit too much, but now with a good centre, I think he’s going to do his job more [efficiently] and effectively. I expect him to be a top guy and a [go-to] guy and lead the way for the Russian Junior team.”

Igor seems very excited to try and access this untapped potential in Vasili. I feel Podkolzin is going to really benefit from the tutelage of Igor's mind and overall approach to the game. We have seen Vasili's offensive creativeness take a backseat to play a more safe game. Hopefully this gives him a confidence boost like the Karjala Cup tourney to start exerting more of his skill in the game.

He will play with SKA's top rookie center Marat Khusnutdinov and Rodion Amirov which should also evoke a lot of offensive creativity out of him too. Russia may have one of the most formidable top lines in the tourney.

• Cheers 2

On 12/21/2020 at 12:56 AM, Ray_Cathode said:

Let’s start by saying I’m not comparing stature, but there have been very effective levels of toughness combined with talent in Messier’s era - that were the same size as Hoglander and who were in the 70 to 80 point range - Smyl and Verbeek

So what you are saying is players that size being very successful playing that style are very few and far between.  Lol.  
Smyl has his number retired.   For every smyl, there are a couple hundred Meh. 

- they took turns leading the league in hits. And those weren’t just hits - these two guys HIT. Smyl was 5’9 190, Verbeek was 5’8 180. And Messier only had one of his 100 point seasons when he wasn’t playing on the same team as Gretzky, Coffey, Kurri, and Anderson

What a ridiculous thing to say.   He was playing with the greats during his prime.  Whoops?  Haha.  Are you suggesting he wouldn’t have been amazing either way?   Because you’d be alone with that thought. 

- in addition Messier was 6’1 210. Much of Messier’s toughness consisted of being willing to take your head off with his elbow or his stick. All this is to say that there is little that prevents Hogs from being effective playing his game.

Hogs can play his game for sure.  That isn’t Messier or Jagr’s game though.  Jesus Christ.  Two of the best ever to play the game and we are comparing to Nils Hoglander.      Hahahahahahhaha

ok. 

There is a guy in Boston who excels at that kind of game - proficient and nasty and of small stature. With a guy like that holding down one of the wings for the Sedins, we might of had us a cup. Marchand is 5’8 180 and a consistent top ten scorer.

again one of the few out of hundreds.  Also, he doesn’t play the same power forward game as these two all time greats. 

The average player today is 6’1 200. Messier was not an extraordinarily big guy, what he was mostly, was fast and extremely nasty. Playing on a team in Edmonton that could afford to carry a couple of guys like Semenko and McSorley permits that kind of behaviour. The tallest team in the NHL is the Vancouver Canucks with only two players under six feet. https://www.stack.com/a/how-big-is-the-average-nhl-player

It’s exhausting reading this board sometimes.  
 Hoglander players like Jagr and Messier. 
Give me a break kids.  

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

He will play with SKA's top rookie center Marat Khusnutdinov and Rodion Amirov which should also evoke a lot of offensive creativity out of him too. Russia may have one of the most formidable top lines in the tourney.

The Wild must have been very high on Khusnutdinov. They traded Kunin in a package for a top-10 pick in the 2nd round (and Bonino) to draft him. I was really keen on him heading into the draft too. Says a lot that Guerin was willing to move Kunin so that Brackett and his scouting staff could take a flyer on him.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

The Wild must have been very high on Khusnutdinov. They traded Kunin in a package for a top-10 pick in the 2nd round (and Bonino) to draft him. I was really keen on him heading into the draft too. Says a lot that Guerin was willing to move Kunin so that Brackett and his scouting staff could take a flyer on him.

He has been playing sporadically for SKA on the fourth line, a lot of the time with Vasili Podkolzin when the team was hit with Covid.

Like you said, he is going to be a very interesting guy to watch, tons of skill