The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

I can see some of Podkolzin's old tendencies to do too much on his own.  Might also because his teammates aren't giving him much to work with.

I also notice he overcommits himself on the ice. He is too far low in the d zone, needs to keep his position a little higher, or he is susceptible to giving the point too much time with the puck. Off the rush he tries too much to cover the D by skating too close to them, needs to work on his on ice spacing.

Overall though I love his compete and work ethic. I think he is overcompensating for some weaker teammates out there, which is making it difficult for his own play.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

The guy Poz is mixing it up with is number 22 Dylan Cozens who is 6 foot 3.  I would say he looks taller than Podz so I would put Podz at 6 foot 1 or 2. A lot of discussion on his height in the past 3 months on CDC.  This seems pretty clear evidence of Podz being 6 foot 1 or 2. 

First real chance to see him in action.

Larionov (my favourite player of all time), compares his play with Messier.  So that isn’t too bad, even as much as we have good reason to dislike Messier.

As a more contemporary comparison, he honestly looks like Bo out there.  Strong, hard worker, plays a 200 foot game. Maybe will take more time to develop his offence than I had thought before... but also looks like he could be a good complementary player anywhere in our top 9.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

I think you can sum up Podkolzins skill level and speed when he skated end to end against the best and deepest team on the tournie. Not sure who was on the ice for Canada, but he caught that defenseman unprepared for his speed. (He got there faster than the Dman thought he would get there, hense Pods skated around him) IMO, he is as fast as anyone else out there.....I don't think that is the issue people are talking about. He actually showed his speed more than once on those clips that are in this thread. 

Vision and passing are great......shooting? Jury is out on! (The backhand was weak)

Overall, he was as good as Dach, so I am good with those comparisons

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

12 minutes ago, rekker said:

His style of play, he reminds me of Burr actually. 

Sorry rekker, no disrespect, but I don't see it.......maybe, but I don't see it, and you are right

In style.....yesh, I can't convince myself of that...maybe after seeing more games

I know Larionov gets him to relax, but the raw talent is there, but Bure had a confidence to use his talent at will, without fear

Podkolzin needs more Larionov and less KHL

I am in no way saying that Podkolzin is either of these two, but neither Gretzky or Orr were tethered in any way, and were free to do and go where they wanted to go

Free of guilt of making a mistake, with no fear of punishment.........Bure was developed much the same way

Larionov gets it, but I am afraid those cookie cutters in the KHL are fighting for their jobs, and have to teach system and discipline to keep their jobs

My bet is they are intentionally slowing down his development...conspiracy? Yes! But they see alot of their talent end up in our juniors and then NHL

They get the dregs 

It is only a short time, but we need to get him out of there!

• Like 1

Really liked his game. He is definitely bigger. Two grade A setups in the 1st period. He generated a number of scoring chances for himself during the game. He is a solid net front presence. I have the USA game set for recording. A lot of size on the Russian team. As they get there games in I suspect they amp up the physical side. Thought Canada was a tad faster. 

• Like 2