The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I thought Podkolzin got better as the game went on, but he was almost invisible in the first period, and showed as a little in the third.  Larionov loved him enough to have him out in the closing minute of the game, and that was an impressive rush with, I think, about four minutes left. Not a strong finish, though - but both goalies in this one were pretty impressive. And he does look bigger, he may be his new listed numbers at 6'4" - if he is, it may take a bit to adjust to accommodate that growth spurt..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I thought Podkolzin got better as the game went on, but he was almost invisible in the first period, and showed as a little in the third.  Larionov loved him enough to have him out in the closing minute of the game, and that was an impressive rush with, I think, about four minutes left. Not a strong finish, though - but both goalies in this one were pretty impressive. And he does look bigger, he may be his new listed numbers at 6'4" - if he is, it may take a bit to adjust to accommodate that growth spurt..

Geez Ray I thought his 2 set ups in the 1st were grade A ops. He set up both team mates in the slot, close in. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Sorry rekker, no disrespect, but I don't see it.......maybe, but I don't see it, and you are right

In style.....yesh, I can't convince myself of that...maybe after seeing more games

I know Larionov gets him to relax, but the raw talent is there, but Bure had a confidence to use his talent at will, without fear

Podkolzin needs more Larionov and less KHL

I am in no way saying that Podkolzin is either of these two, but neither Gretzky or Orr were tethered in any way, and were free to do and go where they wanted to go

Free of guilt of making a mistake, with no fear of punishment.........Bure was developed much the same way

Larionov gets it, but I am afraid those cookie cutters in the KHL are fighting for their jobs, and have to teach system and discipline to keep their jobs

My bet is they are intentionally slowing down his development...conspiracy? Yes! But they see alot of their talent end up in our juniors and then NHL

They get the dregs 

It is only a short time, but we need to get him out of there!

Was only one game so maybe I'm reaching. What I saw that reminded me of Burr was the willingness to be at the net and winning his board battles. I didn't see a guy that drives his line but rather the hard working glue guy. Ala Burr. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Sorry rekker, no disrespect, but I don't see it.......maybe, but I don't see it, and you are right

In style.....yesh, I can't convince myself of that...maybe after seeing more games

I know Larionov gets him to relax, but the raw talent is there, but Bure had a confidence to use his talent at will, without fear

Podkolzin needs more Larionov and less KHL

I am in no way saying that Podkolzin is either of these two, but neither Gretzky or Orr were tethered in any way, and were free to do and go where they wanted to go

Free of guilt of making a mistake, with no fear of punishment.........Bure was developed much the same way

Larionov gets it, but I am afraid those cookie cutters in the KHL are fighting for their jobs, and have to teach system and discipline to keep their jobs

My bet is they are intentionally slowing down his development...conspiracy? Yes! But they see alot of their talent end up in our juniors and then NHL

They get the dregs 

It is only a short time, but we need to get him out of there!

You do know that Bure and Burr are two different players, right?

• Hydration 1
17 hours ago, rekker said:

His style of play, he reminds me of Burr actually. 

Good call, I made the same observation in a different thread.  

17 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Podz is not a Elias P or Sedin style dominating puck possession guy.  Play driver?

These guys can stick handle in a phone both. Move the booth from corner to corner with guys hanging on them.  Have their head up, still make plays. See plays three steps ahead, then dangle & sauce their way in to that position...

Like Burr? Podkolzin is bigger in the game because he is a relentless hound on the fore check. The back check. Wins puck battles, kills penalties, sits in front of the net and bangs D, goalies. Has a smashing good work rate. Plus has some of the skills to trade pucks, score some goals with the real puck handlers.  

• Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, rekker said:

Was only one game so maybe I'm reaching. What I saw that reminded me of Burr was the willingness to be at the net and winning his board battles. I didn't see a guy that drives his line but rather the hard working glue guy. Ala Burr. 

Sorry buddy! I mis-read that......

FYI and totally my fault, but I call Burrows......Burrows

So, I just did not see it....

My apologies

Good thing I was polite! LOL

Egg on my face

And for the record...yes, I see some Burrows in him, for sure!

Sorry again!

Merry Christmas

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Hydration 4
8 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Totally see that now

I skimmed over the name and thought I saw Bure

Sorry guys!

Merry Christmas CC

There's some pace to his game for sure but not Rocket-like but hey, I kid you, it's not like I haven't mis-read something before.....

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Sorry buddy! I mis-read that......

FYI and totally my fault, but I call Burrows......Burrows

So, I just did not see it....

My apologies

Good thing I was polite! LOL

Egg on my face

And for the record...yes, I see some Burrows in him, for sure!

Sorry again!

Merry Christmas

Lol. All good. Enjoy the upcoming season. I can't wait for the games to begin with just so many things wrong with this year. But I think near the top of my list of things missed is Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday night. Im going on my fourth decade of my winter Saturday nights spent in front of the tube, box of Pils in the fridge on the ready, double header on TV. Can't wait. 

• Hydration 2

Some highlights from Podkolzin's game against Finland in the Karjala cup tourney

1) He loves to be in the middle of everything. Something that I think will easily earn Podkolzin a lot of trust with Green and the coaches is that he is constantly looking to engage physically, with his body, stick, and overall skating. He is constantly moving his feet, and never becomes lackadaisical in his effort. Unlike some prospects and players who have come Green's way who have had issues with consistency in effort, Podkolzin has ton of it in spades.It also is a true testament to his overall fitness level, even on long shifts, he seems to be moving his feet very well, even when tired. 

2) However, being always active can be a detriment. Several times, Podkolzin wants to be in the thick of it all, he often pulls himself out of position especially in the dzone. He overcommits, which also shows some lack of trust of his teammates to do their jobs. Several clips above you see him rushing the opposition when already his teammate has them covered, often exposing the point shot or a cross ice play.  I love his eagerness to attack, but with some refining he will realize he should just focus on his quadrant or area of the ice instead of skating up and down everywhere. It can cause not only confusion for his teammates, but in the end exposes him and requiring him to explosively move towards the next player. Its not bad because it shows he has capability to do that, but he is actually wasting more energy doing that. I think overall, refining his efficiency in how he does things defensively will go a long way.

3) Along with being active, he often tracks a little too closely to his own teammates, maybe its the European ice that is making him do that, but I do notice he sorta hangs around his teammates too much. Again wondering if he is overcompensating for weaker teammates, desire to be close to the play for puck support, or etc. Especially on breakouts, he often hovers too closely that he negates himself as a pass option as the defender basically can cover him and the passer. I see this as a huge desire to have the puck, but I think he would be more effective finding the open space to be a pass option. It also shows that he wants to be the puck driver and player who sets players up. Additionally, I noticed, his passing is a huge huge underrated skill that nobody really talks about.  In his draft year, he often avoided passing into high danger areas of the ice to be safe. But more and more highlights and clips, I see of him, he has really good vision, and is starting to see the soft spots on the ice in all 3 zones to make really really smart and shrewd passing plays. 

4) another underrated skill, his active stick/hand eye coordination. He seems to know when to use his stick to get into passing lanes, and has very adept understanding where oppositions are trying to feed the puck. He knows where the passing lanes are and has just a great awareness how to leverage all his strength, reach, and smarts with his stick to steal pucks. Making him a dangeorus weapon on the PK, as he is so smart and quick, he often creates a counter attack. With potentially losing Sutter, Pearson, Motte, Eriksson and Beagle in the next few seasons (UFA, trade, expansion etc) Podz will be front and centre for PK duty.

5) he is fearless, he goes into corners with little concern, he drives the net hard knowing he will get punished, and blocks shots.  This guy puts himself and his body on the line for his team. It does concern me a bit how long he can uphold that style of play because that is super taxing and can lead to injuries going forward. But you marvel at how he doesn't seem to care.  He screams leadership material to me.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2
22 hours ago, rekker said:

I think maybe Janisahockeynut read Bure instead of Burr (for Burrows).

• Upvote 1