The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

3 hours ago, Squamfan said:

both were Russians with a high expectation. Everybody was saying he was going to dominate the juniors, so far in two games he is struggling. Petey was dominating the swedish elite league has a 18 year old where Pods was sent down because he could not handle the K

Wait wait WAT?

This was how you felt about Petey when we drafted him so not sure you've earned the bragging rights:

On 6/23/2017 at 4:38 PM, Squamfan said:

lol

On 6/23/2017 at 4:39 PM, Squamfan said:

you gotta be be kidding me

You should have learned not to judge prematurely.  

You were someone who was not convinced on Makar OR Petey from the start....so maybe wait and see?  One thing I'VE learned is that you tend to throw in the towel before it's even out of the dryer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

He's living up to the expectations I've set on him (years ago I was telling everybody to limit their expectations around the kid). His iq is getting better, which is the most important thing. He's still great defensively (nhl ready for the most part) but tends to overcommit to blocking shots, however has an elite sense in tracking players off of the puck which is an extremely underrated skill at the nhl level that most players don't ever seem to gain. 

He'll be in the nhl, but like I said years ago, limit expectations of a dynamic first line player. He can end up being that way but still lacks a lot of creativity and drive for this style of play and also could use some foot speed. 

Hopefully he ends up being an elite third line player who can move up and down the lineup. I really think he needs somebody to instill some trust into him that allows him to play unleashed before he settles into pure defensive roles. He has the skill to carry plays, he's just far too cautious far too often. 

He's as expected for anybody that's been scouting him for a while. 

As some mentioned already in this thread, his ceiling is comparable to an elite Hansen or Burrows type player (with better size). I like the Landeskog comparison noted earlier as well. Not likely to be a huge point producer on his own, but skill guys will LOVE playing with him (doing a lot of the dirty work, board/defensive play and puck retrieval).

He's arguably also EXACTLY what we need to compliment our skill guys.

IMO 'elite third liner' is pretty much his floor though.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

All this talk of Podz being disappointing is....just wrong....

Open your eyes people ....watch the players not just the game....

Podz stole at least 4-5 pucks and turned the play the other way....he had the same # of hits...he came close to scoring 3-4 times over the 2 games and his linemates did not make any good passes to him...only the other way around.

Someone mentioned Landeskog as a comparable and that seems about right to me....

Podz will be fine....

Just watch....!

...try squinting and looking out of the corner of your eye if you can't see it already...! 

It’s crazy to me that people can actually watch the kid play and say that he is disappointing. He plays exactly as advertised and that is the type of player we need playing in our forward group. I see him playing with Petey down the road and being a great compliment to his style of game 

• Cheers 3

Just now, shayster007 said:

Crappy opinions to boot. The fact he posts a tweet the started with a guy bragging how his negative assumption was correct says everything. I don't know how anyone could post a tweet like that on twitter and think that they had contributed anything of substance. Those kind of tweets are the reason I don't use Twitter.

Yea there seems to be a big group of people like that in this fan base.

Constantly trying to pat themselves on the back because a small sample size makes them think they’re right. 

Never hear their opinion on that player again if they’re wrong though.

• Cheers 1

I come from a generation where the Canucks drafted 1st round picks that never played an NHL game.

Some played 5-60 games. As recently as 2012 we've had a 1st round pick that played 118 NHL games and got 6 goals and 10 assists for his career.

Some people forget Jake Virtanen is actually already at 93rd overall in career points for Vancouver at 95 points.

Maybe lets wait and see how Podz goes before writing his NHL obituary.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea there seems to be a big group of people like that in this fan base.

Constantly trying to pat themselves on the back because a small sample size makes them think they’re right. 

Never hear their opinion on that player again if they’re wrong though.

You, like myself, have been around the Canucks social media fan base a long time. Do you have any theories why our fanbase has a tendency to be overly toxic at times? A chunk of our fans seem to be actively cheering for the team to fail at any given time. Is this a Canuck phenomenon or just a general sports thing? I'm not peticularly active on the internets, besides here and Reddit.

25 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

You, like myself, have been around the Canucks social media fan base a long time. Do you have any theories why our fanbase has a tendency to be overly toxic at times? A chunk of our fans seem to be actively cheering for the team to fail at any given time. Is this a Canuck phenomenon or just a general sports thing? I'm not peticularly active on the internets, besides here and Reddit.

Just guessing, but fifty years without a cup must be damn near a record - surpassed only by Toronto and matched by Buffalo. Of course, when Buffalo and Vancouver joined the league there was no great gift of talent like Vegas received. When the Canucks joined the league, only Old Age Security qualifiers were made available in the opening draft. But I loved Roger Neilson, Pat Quinn, and like how this version is shaping up. 

• Upvote 1