The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Theres such a double when talking about our prospects here it's annoying AF. Any type of criticism towards one of our boys and you're automatically a troll. 

Podkolzin is going to be a good nhl player. I dont doubt that. His motor is enough earn him a long career in the top 9. However I doubt he tops 50 points in a season imo. 

This isnt my conclusion after 2 games. This is my conclusion after a year and a half. 

Flame away suckas 

Well said. There is also a reason he has not been used offensively in the KHL, and now in the world juniors as well. To be honest,  its great he is developing his defensive game first,  because I have no doubt the offense is still possibly there. We shal see. He is not being unfairly treated IMO. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Not every top end prospect is Pettersson or Hughes. Some are gonna take longer then others. That’s one thing fans need to get over. I think those guys have spoiled us a bit.

Nice thing about Podz is he’s the type of player that would fit just fine on a 3rd of 4th line in the NHL as a youngster where there is a lot of other types of players that can’t do that. They are either a top 6 or nothing. He’ll keep getting better. He’s got tools that coaches salivate over. No worries here 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Having spent most of the last 20 winters in the California Desert I perforce saw a lot of Kings games on TV.

Podz to me looks like a bigger and faster Dustin Brown (another "bust" in  2 World Juniors.... 8 points in 14 games). And we all know how Brown turned out, and the leadership qualities he showed.  That's my expectation for Podkolzin.  At least 2 Stanley Cups. 

• Cheers 4

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Given how much flak Jake gets, I get worried about every top 10 pick by the Canucks. People will just scrutinize every shift he plays. 

There is disappointment potential if a top 10 pick doesn't work out. There is even more potential for disappointment if that pick doesn't play like he can.

Pods doesn't have that problem. Fans will like him just fine.

10 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Given how much flak Jake gets, I get worried about every top 10 pick by the Canucks. People will just scrutinize every shift he plays. 

but that is because people wanted so many other flashy players. They only understand flashy. So, they cannot forgive Jake for his longer development or his unflashy ways. So they attack everything he does.

I have said that I watched game 5 of the Vegas series a few times. There was this one play with less than 5 min in the game that I am sure nobody cares to remember, the puck was being cycled and then from the point came the shot but it went wide. Then the announcer comes on, "you know that shot went wide intentionally, Wirtanen was in the lane". He was making the right play. Quietly.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Laheys Liquor said:

Show me all the other 19 year olds in the KHL that are being 'used offensively'... 

Well Marchenko and Morozov are putting up points and getting 2nd unit pp time I believe on the same team as Podkolzin. Granted they are a year older though.

Chinakhov is 19 and getting plenty of offensive opportunity with 15pts in 27 games. 

On 12/26/2020 at 3:41 PM, mordekai said:

Not just fans that are toxic

look at this headline by Vancouver media 

https://thecanuckway.com/2020/12/26/canucks-podkolzin-pointless-through-2-games-at-wjc/
And first game was a tune up against a stacked Canadian team 

no wonder canucks fans read this and goes crazy negative 

I wouldn't call this site Vancouver media.

It is just some hack with a computer that writes nonsense.

Edited by GarthButcher5
  • Cheers 1

If that shot he had in the third was 2 inches to the right -and/or Amirov gets a stick on it in the crease and puts it in- he gets a point and the discussion is totally different. I watched his shifts back and one thing that is apparent is that his linemates (Amirov and Khusnutdinov) don't do a lot for him; anything he creates he has to do for himself. He doesn't have guys like Dach, Cozens, Zegras, Turcotte, etc. to play off of. He can definitely do more but I wouldn't say he was bad; he made multiple good plays on both sides of the puck 

Here's what this board needs more of .... facts. No speculation. Consider your self a GM or a scout and cross  your heart on your mothers life ... what ever, that you see skills that jump out for you. The tourney is young still lots of games to play but here's what, ( the truth ) he hasn't done any thing to warrant the praise he gets here. I did see Soderstrom look good ditto Newhook and Ryan Susuki, all 2019 picks There's a lot of players in the WJC that never go far as pros. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Here's what this board needs more of .... facts. No speculation. Consider your self a GM or a scout and cross  your heart on your mothers life ... what ever, that you see skills that jump out for you. The tourney is young still lots of games to play but here's what, ( the truth ) he hasn't done any thing to warrant the praise he gets here. I did see Soderstrom look good ditto Newhook and Ryan Susuki, all 2019 picks There's a lot of players in the WJC that never go far as pros. 

It's more so some people forgetting how Horvat/Virtanen developed as soon as Boeser/Petey/Hughes showed up. We've been extremely fortunate with 3 players back to back to back having excellent rookie seasons and coming out of the gate well. It's kind of set a hard bar for whomever is following up next to follow.

Some people were starting to get the idea that Pod is gonna be more of a complementary with his skill set and based off what others, like Button, said of him over this off-season(A player everyone will want to play with). Perhaps he could be a Landeskog to Petey's Mackinnon but time is the ultimate verdict and his path will start to be more clear when he's playing in the bigs.

It's good to be excited but better to have an open mind than clouded visions of grandeur with every prospect now. Pod will be a reality check, reminding people that patience is a virtue... though perhaps OJ proves that before Pod comes over. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I remember when Friedman called out our fanbase for this and of course, it started a twitterstorm forcing Friedman to back off his comment. At the time, I wasn't aware of it as much, but it's has been coming out to light for me since he made that comment.

It's funny how this site and HF\Nucks is so contrasting.

CDC is much more pro Benning and aside from a few over-, the top homers are much better for actual content.

HF sadly is where most opinions are formed about the team and our fanbase, a large chunk are the epitome of bandwagon fans.

They crap on Benning for every move, pray we tank for 1st overall and my personal favourite, every single good pick is a Judd pick, while any poor choice is completely on Benning.

Those same fans during the bubble suddenly loved the team so much that they felt the need to troll other team's, furthering the resentment non-Nuck fans have for the team.

Fact. Vancouver\HF is the only team thread that has an active tank thread and an anti-GM thread.

I completely get why other fanbases hate us so much. Imagine advocating and actively hoping the team fails so Benning and Green get canned one minute, then after beating the Blues these same fans troll and act like total Dbags only to revert back the minute this terrible team that Benning has  basically built from scratch without ever having a top 4 pick loses in game seven while doing so without Marky (who was very average in the bubble) carrying the team. 

33 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

It's funny how this site and HF\Nucks is so contrasting.

CDC is much more pro Benning and aside from a few over-, the top homers are much better for actual content.

HF sadly is where most opinions are formed about the team and our fanbase, a large chunk are the epitome of bandwagon fans.

They crap on Benning for every move, pray we tank for 1st overall and my personal favourite, every single good pick is a Judd pick, while any poor choice is completely on Benning.

Those same fans during the bubble suddenly loved the team so much that they felt the need to troll other team's, furthering the resentment non-Nuck fans have for the team.

Fact. Vancouver\HF is the only team thread that has an active tank thread and an anti-GM thread.

I completely get why other fanbases hate us so much. Imagine advocating and actively hoping the team fails so Benning and Green get canned one minute, then after beating the Blues these same fans troll and act like total Dbags only to revert back the minute this terrible team that Benning has  basically built from scratch without ever having a top 4 pick loses in game seven while doing so without Marky (who was very average in the bubble) carrying the team. 

Even right now they're hoping to tank?

9 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Even right now they're hoping to tank?

Sadly yes.

The common narrative from that group is losing to get Benning and Green fired while being a perpetual lottery team (the oiler and Sabre special) is the way to go. 

Keep in mind these same people would prefer to have the only lottery picks on the roster while all the intangibles like experience, the culture of winning, etc in no way help to win a cup.

Nevermind the average age for cup winners is 28.5 and it's been proven that in a cap-world building a team mostly with top picks  isn't feasible.

• Cheers 1