The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

2 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Are there other forums? This forum is run by the Canucks so no doubt there is less complaining allowed.

Sir if you haven't checked out HF forums I suggest you do so.

The main-boards are actually decent and if you can wade through the toxic and immature posters (bans are pretty big there) it's nice to get opinions from some of the many decent posters from around the world.

Take Podz for example, there are tons of Russians who not only provide info we don't get they also shut down the haters who troll him. He is the most polarizing prospect I have ever seen on hockey forums.

The Canadian teams fans mostly hate each other so with the new north division it's gonna be epic this season.

I'm banned till Feb for weighing in on a thread for Hughes vs Makar, that thread became legendary with basically Nucks fans against the rest. The hate for our team that was born during the cup-run and continues now that we lapped the rest of Canada with our current rebuild is awesome.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Also Tanbir from Surrey is a grade A goof. He, Taj and the rest of the Canucks twitter personalities are awful representations of this fanbase.  

I dislike that twitter is used to represent the fan base, but it is what it is, the media has always been lazy and unfair. 

I do appreciate tweets that actually teach something or have a pov with some facts or well thought out take, but usually its just bird crap. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Podz is doing just fine. It is obvious he takes his "C" seriously. His team is on course for the finals against Canada IMHO. He strikes me as the type who considers winning more important than taking personal tributes. When offense is needed he is in front of the net or dishing nice passes into the slot. When defence is needed he is the 3rd man back. I think he is playing the game that Igor asked of him.  

I'll take an NHL defensively ready forward who plays a pro-game over a JR style that looks good against 18-19-year-olds but has little chance of transferring to the NHL any day. We lack a playmaking forward badly, the fact that he is also chalked full of other traits we lack has me hopeful.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

It's funny how this site and HF\Nucks is so contrasting.

CDC is much more pro Benning and aside from a few over-, the top homers are much better for actual content.

HF sadly is where most opinions are formed about the team and our fanbase, a large chunk are the epitome of bandwagon fans.

They crap on Benning for every move, pray we tank for 1st overall and my personal favourite, every single good pick is a Judd pick, while any poor choice is completely on Benning.

Those same fans during the bubble suddenly loved the team so much that they felt the need to troll other team's, furthering the resentment non-Nuck fans have for the team.

Fact. Vancouver\HF is the only team thread that has an active tank thread and an anti-GM thread.

I completely get why other fanbases hate us so much. Imagine advocating and actively hoping the team fails so Benning and Green get canned one minute, then after beating the Blues these same fans troll and act like total Dbags only to revert back the minute this terrible team that Benning has  basically built from scratch without ever having a top 4 pick loses in game seven while doing so without Marky (who was very average in the bubble) carrying the team. 

Most of the time though HF is where you're gonna find realistic fans too for the Canucks board. Cdc is littered with Homer's who hate it when you talk negatively of somebody who is playing like ass. The mods can sometimes be super overbearing, so much so that I've been accused of being a flames fan even though I've been on these boards longer than said moderator. 

A couple years ago everybody went full on hate mode saying I'm not a fan of of the team because I made the same accurate statements that people are saying now. 

Most Canucks fans on HF are actually great hockey fans, and there are some really great ones here too but you can't argue that cdc is filled with a lot of blind homerism. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:
18 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I dislike that twitter is used to represent the fan base, but it is what it is, the media has always been lazy and unfair.

IMO Botchard had great articles and takes on the Canucks. Miss his writing and unique perspective. RIP.

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

Most of the time though HF is where you're gonna find realistic fans too for the Canucks board. Cdc is littered with Homer's who hate it when you talk negatively of somebody who is playing like ass. The mods can sometimes be super overbearing, so much so that I've been accused of being a flames fan even though I've been on these boards longer than said moderator. 

A couple years ago everybody went full on hate mode saying I'm not a fan of of the team because I made the same accurate statements that people are saying now. 

Most Canucks fans on HF are actually great hockey fans, and there are some really great ones here too but you can't argue that cdc is filled with a lot of blind homerism. 

I agree and there are lots of great people on HF and I appreciate other fans non-homer views. I just stay away from our sub-forum since that's where most of the crap is spewed. My rule of thumb is to avoid the threads that involve Benning lol.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I think people expect an offensive dynamo at the 10th pick.

Anyone who expects anything more than a 40 -50 pt 2 way forward is going to be disappointed in his play. 

That was why he was ranked in the top ten, for his offensive prowess, not because he had a good plus minus or a pretty smile. Isn't it great the way the story changes to suit the circumstances and ignore the facts.

9 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

The common narrative from that group is losing to get Benning and Green fired while being a perpetual lottery team (the oiler and Sabre special) is the way to go. 

It is odd that you consider the Oilers or Buffalo failures but this team a success, have you looked at all?

Narrative wanting the team to lose in order to fire Benning and Green? Doesn't losing usually result in firing? I don't know how much more this team could lose only Buffalo or Arizona have lost more games the last over 4 or 5 years by one or two I think.

I think what you have is a group advocating firing Bennng more so than Green because of all the losing and mistakes. Time is priceless and Benning is using it up in so many ways, the window will be open the next 5 years but he hasn't enough draft picks ready to take advantage of that or cap management planned.

These things do not happen by accident or shouldn't. It is his job to create a winning team, not a retirement community.

He is paid to not make all these mistakes. He was hired for his expertise to quicken a rebuild not take longer. How is it TO has more top stars, cap space and prospects in half the time? Even Buffalo if they had goaltending. Isn't he coming up on 8 years and the team still hasn't won 40 out of 82 games? I don't know what the definition of losing is but I am pretty sure losing more the winning must have some reference to the word.

As far as the experts stating all other know nothing, there are a few posters here that are using there own eyes to see what they see. Craig Button has never had a bad word to say about any team look at how much he was praising Benning for the Eriksson contract 4 years ago and still does. Button blames players for everything.

Back to Poldkozin. When drafted he was listed at 5'11" and if he is now 6'4" that could explain the dramatic drop in agility, growing pains.

Just now, Alienhuggyflow said:

I agree and there are lots of great people on HF and I appreciate other fans non-homer views. I just stay away from our sub-forum since that's where most of the crap is spewed. My rule of thumb is to avoid the threads that involve Benning lol.

Oh yeah. There's definitely some really really really toxic people there. HF can be an absolute cesspool or the best place to discuss hockey. One thing that always bothers me is people who can't be fans of the game, but only of their own team. It's like when somebody posts up a highlight reel goal and they all go, "yeah but what about their poor season 3 years ago?" or people that automatically just hate other teams for no reason lol. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I have noticed there are quite a few posters that were negative that are gone now. I always looked at them as trying to balance out the forum's opinions.

I know this is derailing the post quite a bit but there is no thread that is allowed to carry on this type of conversation.

Podkolzin and the eye test, since his big moment in 2017 he just isn't the same player in that tournament he was everything you are seeing other players doing now, he carried the play, outstanding stick handling and wicked shot. Since that tourny he has been less that ordinary.

Well the Canucks will not see him here for another 2 seasons any way, unless he is cut from his KHL team.

That was why he was ranked in the top ten, for his offensive prowess, not because he had a good plus minus or a pretty smile. Isn't it great the way the story changes to suit the circumstances and ignore the facts.

It is odd that you consider the Oilers or Buffalo failures but this team a success, have you looked at all?

Narrative wanting the team to lose in order to fire Benning and Green? Doesn't losing usually result in firing? I don't know how much more this team could lose only Buffalo or Arizona have lost more games the last over 4 or 5 years by one or two I think.

I think what you have is a group advocating firing Bennng more so than Green because of all the losing and mistakes. Time is priceless and Benning is using it up in so many ways, the window will be open the next 5 years but he hasn't enough draft picks ready to take advantage of that or cap management planned.

These things do not happen by accident or shouldn't. It is his job to create a winning team, not a retirement community.

He is paid to not make all these mistakes. He was hired for his expertise to quicken a rebuild not take longer. How is it TO has more top stars, cap space and prospects in half the time? Even Buffalo if they had goaltending. Isn't he coming up on 8 years and the team still hasn't won 40 out of 82 games? I don't know what the definition of losing is but I am pretty sure losing more the winning must have some reference to the word.

As far as the experts stating all other know nothing, there are a few posters here that are using there own eyes to see what they see. Craig Button has never had a bad word to say about any team look at how much he was praising Benning for the Eriksson contract 4 years ago and still does. Button blames players for everything.

Back to Poldkozin. When drafted he was listed at 5'11" and if he is now 6'4" that could explain the dramatic drop in agility, growing pains.

We are in no way like the Sabres or Oilers.

We went from elite to a rebuild which is the usual way.

The Oilers have been spinning their wheels for how long now?

Numerous top 3 picks yet haven't had any sustained success since when the early 2000s? The Sabres haven't been much better even tho were able to draft 2 players that have been called generational.

Vancouver has been the winningest Canadian team over the last 25 years and we are now once again poised to be in the conversation to be Canadas best team again all without a top 4 pick, nevermind multiple top 2-3 like the Oilers and Sabres.

The way I see it is, while we were elite the Oilers and Sabres sucked, when we started sucking they both still sucked. Now that we are trending up both those teams are still stationary at best.

Benning hasn't been perfect but going forward I'll take our team over most, especially amongst the Canadian teams.

I have noticed there are quite a few posters that were negative that are gone now. I always looked at them as trying to balance out the forum's opinions.

I know this is derailing the post quite a bit but there is no thread that is allowed to carry on this type of conversation.

Podkolzin and the eye test, since his big moment in 2017 he just isn't the same player in that tournament he was everything you are seeing other players doing now, he carried the play, outstanding stick handling and wicked shot. Since that tourny he has been less that ordinary.

Well the Canucks will not see him here for another 2 seasons any way, unless he is cut from his KHL team.

so what things, specifically, have you not seen that guys like Craig Button say are there? what is it you're looking for out of him? 

• Wat 1

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:
26 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

IMO Botchard had great articles and takes on the Canucks. Miss his writing and unique perspective. RIP.

he was pretty funny from time to time.

Jason was one of the very few that called out what most know. I loved the "The No Plan, Plan", he asked the tough questions and was not paid by the Canucks. He got TV time because he could say what commentators couldn't. He had his "group".

Just now, Lazurus said:

Jason was one of the very few that called out what most know. I loved the "The No Plan, Plan", he asked the tough questions and was not paid by the Canucks. He got TV time because he could say what commentators couldn't. He had his "group".

I thought he was wrong on that take. There was a plan, it was just a bad one. 

13 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Definitely not the end all be all, but I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune.

Oh, no doubt. I was excited as all hell when JS was passing Roenick a decade ago. Just like I was stoked Cody Hodgson was killing it. I don't remember Petey really destroying this tourney though. So while great performance and stats definitely increase my optimism of our guys. The lack of a performance here doesn't deter my optimism either.

Edited by A.V.'s slurp

8 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

So Podz's performance in the second half of last season and in the KHL playoffs, playing against men in the second best league in the world, was "less that ordinary"?

And we won't be seeing him here sometime in 2021, the way those of us who follow the Canucks prospects rather than just belittling them, expect?

Thanks for sharing those gems with us lowly homers. You are the poster boy for "realistic fans."

I asked for specifics on what he thinks is missing from the kids game at this point, and got the lame confusey face response. 

Button has been one of the most accurate media guys when it comes to Canucks prospects, and by his eye test Podz is close to ready. Of course he's not a finished product.

Just would like to see something more specific than :blink: as an analysis. Maybe I'm asking for too much. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I asked for specifics on what he thinks is missing from the kids game at this point, and got the lame confusey face response. 

Button has been one of the most accurate media guys when it comes to Canucks prospects, and by his eye test Podz is close to ready. Of course he's not a finished product.

Just would like to see something more specific than :blink: as an analysis. Maybe I'm asking for too much. 

Do you seriously expect an honest response from that poster? A stupid face response is all you will get from him when you point out facts he doesn't want to acknowledge.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/512832/vasili-podkolzin

"

A skilled winger who plays with an edge. Podkolzin combines his fine hockey sense, puck handling and shooting with an aggressive, in-your-face, type of game. He competes hard, is very difficult to play against and has the tools to be a high scoring player. (EP 2019)

He can bulldoze through a defenseman on his way to the net, Hockeyprospect.com 2019
A force to be reckoned with each time he is on the ice, his explosive skating and speed help him carry the puck with ease, Future Considerations 2019
He takes powerful strides to get up ice and needs only a few steps to reach his top speed, McKeen's Hockey 2019
He’s a complete winger with all the qualities that you want in a player, Craig Button - TSN 2018
Very strong on the puck.. plays the hard way.. fierce but disciplined.. sound puck management.. possesses an effective move to his forehand, Draftin Europe 2018"

Can you please show a link to a story that states he was ranked in the top ten because of his offensive prowess?
  • Cheers 3