The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

29 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Do you seriously expect an honest response from that poster? A stupid face response is all you will get from him when you point out facts he doesn't want to acknowledge.

well, I guess when you put it that way

dating app GIF

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Do you seriously expect an honest response from that poster? A stupid face response is all you will get from him when you point out facts he doesn't want to acknowledge.

Belongs on HFboards for sure. I love the irrational spin on the downward spiral rebuild story. Talk about reaching to pull the facts around the fable.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

So Podz's performance in the second half of last season and in the KHL playoffs, playing against men in the second best league in the world, was "less that ordinary"?

And we won't be seeing him here sometime in 2021, the way those of us who follow the Canucks prospects rather than just belittling them, expect?

Thanks for sharing those gems with us lowly homers. You are the poster boy for "realistic fans."

He is a prospect, apparently he has grown 3+ inches since being drafted, he is not favored by his Russian team's coaches and personally, I will woory about whether he can play in the NHL when there is a chance for him to be here.

41 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I asked for specifics on what he thinks is missing from the kids game at this point, and got the lame confusey face response. 

Button has been one of the most accurate media guys when it comes to Canucks prospects, and by his eye test Podz is close to ready. Of course he's not a finished product.

Just would like to see something more specific than :blink: as an analysis. Maybe I'm asking for too much. 

Specifics, really? Okay from my eye test, he seems to try to force the play when he does get the puck, he isn't that fast a skater, he skates with one hand on his stick making accepting passes difficult BUT good for checking, so far he hasn't used his size to dominate smaller players, he appears to be a player now, that relies on the rest of his line, he adds but not so much create. Haven't got a clue what his personality is like, haven't talked to him.

Of course I appreciate your personal impressions and what his strengths are apart from being big.

No matter what he is years out yet but a good distraction from this year's Canuck team. 16 days Go Canucks

42 minutes ago, gurn said:

Can you please show a link to a story that states he was ranked in the top ten because of his offensive prowess?

5 Standouts from Hlinka Gretzky Cup

BY LARRY FISHER AUGUST 13TH, 2018

There were no shortage of stellar performances at this year’s Hlinka Gretzky Cup, which didn’t disappoint in terms of entertainment value as the annual summer under-18 tournament played out in primetime from Edmonton for the first time.

It wasn’t without some controversy, with the United States getting robbed of a chance to play for gold due to a decision preventing the use of video review, which allowed Canada’s semifinal equalizer to stand up despite clearly not beating the buzzer. Canada went on to win in overtime, then overcame a 2-0 deficit to defeat Sweden 6-2 in the championship game on Saturday night.

For the organizers, it was an ideal result, with Canada repeating as champions and defending gold on home ice in front of a healthy crowd of 10,000-plus at Rogers Place, the fancy new home of the NHL’s Edmonton Oilers.

This tournament, formerly known as the Ivan Hlinka Memorial, has long been a launching pad for future NHL stars and showcases the top draft-eligible talent for the coming years. For scouts, it is the official start of the draft year, the first look at the next class in a best-on-best environment.

I’m still conferring with scouts in attendance, fielding feedback to finalize my preseason Top 100 rankings — to be published later this month — but from my view on television, these five prospects were the biggest standouts at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup.

Vasili Podkolzin, LW, Russia

Podkolzin scored in every game for Russia, finishing with a tournament-high eight goals, including a handful for the highlight reel.

I’m not sure he scored an “ugly” goal among those eight and his hat trick in the bronze-medal game was a thing of beauty, securing Russia’s spot on the podium with a 5-4 victory over the U.S.

Podkolzin wasn’t a consensus first-round pick heading into the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, but I’m with TSN’s Craig Button in considering him a top-five prospect for 2019 after watching Podkolzin work all that magic. Button was making the comparison to Pavel Datsyuk — The Magic Man — but I saw more of a power element to Podkolzin’s game in addition to that finesse. A bit of Ilya Kovalchuk.

5 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Christ here we go again with people being worried about a prospect busting after one sub par game in an overrated tournament. Can’t wait for this kid to get to Vancouver, steamrolls somebody behind the net, creates a turnover, and buries a goal. Kids got game written all over him.

It will be two years before this kid gets a chance to play for the Canucks yet, I gave my eye test to what I saw, he didn't stand out at all and then Ferraro and Button started calling him a complimentary player that should make the NHL.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Christ here we go again with people being worried about a prospect busting after one sub par game in an overrated tournament. Can’t wait for this kid to get to Vancouver, steamrolls somebody behind the net, creates a turnover, and buries a goal. Kids got game written all over him. 

Yeah, one mustn't enjoy the fact that we have an exciting prospect with lots of potential upside, scoring wise and other. Nope, go out of one's way to disregard said prospect based on his performance in a top professional league at 18 years of age, and about 8 world junior games. Don't take a balanced approach. Don't even wait to see how he stacks up at camp next year in a North American setting.

Makes sense.

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, one mustn't enjoy the fact that we have an exciting prospect with lots of potential upside, scoring wise and other. Nope, go out of one's way to disregard said prospect based on his performance in a top professional league at 18 years of age, and about 8 world junior games. Don't take a balanced approach. Don't even wait to see how he stacks up at camp next year in a North American setting.

Makes sense.

Every prospect has potential until they don't, that is, play in the NHL and show what they have. At 18, 2 years ago, he was smaller, maybe his growth spurt has upset his "balance". But the only time most fans have got to see him is after TS has hyped him up along with the later draft picks from other teams. And don't say they aren't talking about this team's draft pick or that one.

Like I posted before, his draft position creates expectations, TV is putting a spot light on him. 

I hope he does go back to being the next "Magic Man" but really, who cares, it is two years away. Concentrate on the glory of this year's team.

1 minute ago, Lazurus said:

Every prospect has potential until they don't, that is, play in the NHL and show what they have. At 18, 2 years ago, he was smaller, maybe his growth spurt has upset his "balance". But the only time most fans have got to see him is after TS has hyped him up along with the later draft picks from other teams. And don't say they aren't talking about this team's draft pick or that one.

Like I posted before, his draft position creates expectations, TV is putting a spot light on him. 

I hope he does go back to being the next "Magic Man" but really, who cares, it is two years away. Concentrate on the glory of this year's team.

If you say so. A lot of people believe he'll be given every chance at a roster spot for the 21-22 season, so my hope is he's ready to play in the NHL by the end of 2021. He may not make it, but he just might be an everyday player too.

He's eligible to come after his contract runs out in April this coming year. Hell likely finish his year in the Canucks.

2 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Removed by mod

He's eligible to come after his contract runs out in April this coming year. Hell likely finish his year on the Canucks.

Yes, as is your M.O., you've once again signed on to litter the board with uninformed nonsense.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

He is a prospect, apparently he has grown 3+ inches since being drafted, he is not favored by his Russian team's coaches and personally, I will woory about whether he can play in the NHL when there is a chance for him to be here.

Specifics, really? Okay from my eye test, he seems to try to force the play when he does get the puck, he isn't that fast a skater, he skates with one hand on his stick making accepting passes difficult BUT good for checking, so far he hasn't used his size to dominate smaller players, he appears to be a player now, that relies on the rest of his line, he adds but not so much create. Haven't got a clue what his personality is like, haven't talked to him.

Of course I appreciate your personal impressions and what his strengths are apart from being big.

No matter what he is years out yet but a good distraction from this year's Canuck team. 16 days Go Canucks

I'd agree for sure that at times he does seem to try to do too much. But what is there, by my eye and reading the scouting info, is he has the potential to be a difference maker physically and does show that. I think people get frustrated when they see him active in front of the net one game and not in the next, but I think that might be coaching more than his own personal ideas on that front. He seems very engaged to me.

I see him very much as a complimentary type of physical player that can be so useful on. a top 6 group. I can see him ending up being a slightly bigger version of JT Miller, but without as much goal scoring potential. Podz, if he makes it, will be a hard forechecking setup linemate by the looks of things so far. I do like his passing skills, thats an area where I think you'd agree he's shown a lot of promise.

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Well the Canucks will not see him here for another 2 seasons any way, unless he is cut from his KHL team.

We're done waiting.

The KHL regular season ends Feb.27th. 

SKA St. Petersburg should make the playoffs.

VP's contract with KHL ends April 30th unless JB can work some magic.

Sure as s**t he'll be lining up to the right of Bo soon as he steps off the plane. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

It will be two years before this kid gets a chance to play for the Canucks yet, I gave my eye test to what I saw, he didn't stand out at all and then Ferraro and Button started calling him a complimentary player that should make the NHL.

so was he drafted in the first round because of his offense, or was he drafted in the first round because Button and Ferraro sayid he's a complimentary player?:unsure:

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's eligible to come after his contract runs out in April this coming year. Hell likely finish his year in the Canucks.

He's eligible to come after his contract runs out in April this coming year. Hell likely finish his year on the Canucks.

Yes, as is your M.O., you've once again signed on to litter the board with uninformed nonsense.

Well you can use actual facts if you want but they sure make it harder to bash management. :angry:

;)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Well you can use actual facts if you want but they sure make it harder to bash management. :angry:

;)

This guy's over spewing nonsense in the taxi squad thread too if you want some more Sunday morning comedy?

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This guy's over spewing nonsense in the taxi squad thread too if you want some more Sunday morning comedy?

I picked up a month of TSN just to watch Podz, looking forward to the game this afternoon. I guess the comedy is a bonus. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pickly said:

Need more of this on the nucks. People complain about our team needing more grit and in the same breath complain that Pod isn’t any good. Like what do these people want hahahahah