The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1 hour ago, gurn said:

so was he drafted in the first round because of his offense, or was he drafted in the first round because Button and Ferraro sayid he's a complimentary player?:unsure:

He’s a rare type of player you don’t see much of and is exactly what we need. 

A 2-way PWF. 

Potential is high but time is the ultimate judge. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I don't think Podz will ever be an elite offensive player, but he will likely become invaluable to the team, just the same.  People have been screaming for this kind of player to be added to the team.  His incredible passion for the game and endless drive are not something that can be taught, but they are the characteristics that often allow a player to become the best he can possibly be.  He already understands the defensive game and has tremendous courage to 'hang around' in the dirty areas, work the boards and hunt the puck down.  With his increasing mass/muscle, he will become a very difficult player to play against.

I agree, he will need to improve his speed.  Like Bo, he appears to have an odd stance, so hopefully it can be a quick fix.  He will likely progress slower than what fans would like, as he plays a man's game and is just a boy.  He will likely be on the 3rd and 4th lines for a time.

He will probably end up being a 50-60pt player, who steps up and outplays himself in the playoff games.  Although I see him as a hybrid Bo/Burr (with more fight); I believe he just might become the Canucks Ryan O'Reilly when he reaches his prime.

Of course this is all speculations, but so are all the other opinions around here.  One thing I know for sure though, is that we need to have patience and allow this kid to develop his game. 

14 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I don't think Podz will ever be an elite offensive player, but he will likely become invaluable to the team, just the same.  People have been screaming for this kind of player to be added to the team.  His incredible passion for the game and endless drive are not something that can be taught, but they are the characteristics that often allow a player to become the best he can possibly be.  He already understands the defensive game and has tremendous courage to 'hang around' in the dirty areas, work the boards and hunt the puck down.  With his increasing mass/muscle, he will become a very difficult player to play against.

I agree, he will need to improve his speed.  Like Bo, he appears to have an odd stance, so hopefully it can be a quick fix.  He will likely progress slower than what fans would like, as he plays a man's game and is just a boy.  He will likely be on the 3rd and 4th lines for a time.

He will probably end up being a 50-60pt player, who steps up and outplays himself in the playoff games.  Although I see him as a hybrid Bo/Burr (with more fight); I believe he just might become the Canucks Ryan O'Reilly when he reaches his prime.

Of course this is all speculations, but so are all the other opinions around here.  One thing I know for sure though, is that we need to have patience and allow this kid to develop his game. 

I just looked back at our last full season:

Elias Pettersson 66

Bo Horvat 61

Brock Boeser 56

These were our top scorers for 2018-19
By that standard and for this team, 50-60 pts is pretty close to elite. If Podz does that, I will be a happy camper - particularly if he also brings great defence and grit.

16 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Podz will be verbatim Victor Arvedson, and I would take that all day long. He will help drive the second or third line for ten years. The real story will be Hoglander, as he'll sub-plant Miller as Petey's LW and win rookie of the year. Hoglander might be as good as Barzal. I know that sounds like a deep-reach, but he on his own can create offence, add him with Petey and Boeser and watch out. This allows the team to move off of Pearson for a defensive prospect or 2nd round pick, and add Hoffman. Miller- Horvat- Hoffman = a very good, hard to play against second line. iPod slots into a kid line with Gaudette and Virtanen, and I think this becomes a very quick, tenacious, and as a group has plenty of upside as a line.  

I don't understand why posters assume that there's an element of fans that actually wish to fail, be it the team as a group or individual players. For my on part I'm a season ticket holder and want to come away from Rogers feeling happy. I want to enjoy a televised game, hey  who wouldn't. It would be perverse to think other wise, especially when I (personally ) spend tens of thousands of dollars for tickets. It would be crazy. However I do believe my own eyes. I watch, I see and I judge ( for myself ) I'm not swayed by media or hysteria. I watch Podkolzyn and see a player that does not stand out ... in this tourney. I'm unwilling to make excuses. Other players in the tourney have caught my eye, Zegras is a beauty ( but was taken one slot earlier than Podkolzyn.) I thought Soderstrom looked very good, Newhook looked good ( but I'm not sure if he'll be the big boy on campus in the NHL) and Ryan Suzuki looks like a keeper  . Akhtyamov look like a good pick for TO as dos Broberg for Oilers. There's a few other I liked but you can't  list them all :)

Edited by Fred65

8 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Elias Pettersson 66

Bo Horvat 61

Brock Boeser 56

By that standard and for this team, 50-60 pts is pretty close to elite. If Podz does that, I will be a happy camper - particularly if he also brings great defence and grit.

Ending up being a 50-60 point guy is not the same as him stepping into the lineup putting up those numbers. But if he's eventually a 50-60 point guy that puts him in solid 2nd line territory and lower end 1st line. Given his defensive game and motor, hopefully that is an added boost to the top 6 on top of his offensive output.

9 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Elias Pettersson 66

Bo Horvat 61

Brock Boeser 56

I was suggesting that Podz might be 50-60pts in his prime.  I would hope that Pete and Boes will be getting closer to a pt a game (or more for Pete) by then).  Bo is putting up better than expected points while playing with 3rd line players.  I think the improvement in his skating has made his offensive game much better.

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I don't understand why posters assume that there's an element of fans that actually wish to fail, be it the team as a group of individual players. For my on part I'm a season ticket holder and want to come away from Rogers feeling happy. I want to enjoy a televised game, hey or who wouldn't. It would be perverse to think other wise, especially when I (personally ) spend tens of thousands of dollars fro tickets. It would be crazy. However I do believe my own eyes. I watch, I see and I judge ( for myself ) I'm not swayed by media or hysteria. I watch Podkolzyn and see a player that does not stand out ... in this tourney. I'm unwilling to make excuses. Other players in the tourney have caught my eye, Zegras is a beauty ( but was taken one slot earlier than Podkolzyn.) I thought Soderstrom looked very good, Newhook looked good ( but I'm not sure if he'll be the big boy on campus in the NHL) and Ryan Suzuki looks like a keeper  . Akhtyamov look like a good pick for TO as dos Broberg for Oilers. There's a few other I liked but you can't  list them all :)

Interesting that you added him here considering he hasn't played at all for Russia.

I'd need to see how Canadian players play against more meaningful competition before deciding who actually looks good IMO.

Zegras has been outstanding though and based on the commentary during the draft, it sounded like we were really hoping Zegras would fall to us. Unfortunately that didn't happen and we ended up with a player that was ranked in the top 3 for the majority of the year until maybe just before the draft where teams were scared off by the Russian contract. We weren't concerned with the contract because we understood that it would take a couple of years development anyway for him before stepping in.

Podkolzin may not be the flashy offensive player, but he's the type of player that plays in the trenches. He's the type of player you win with and likely doesn't end up with the high praise.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Regardless of opinion this is a player with his experience and age who should be dominating this tournament in every way. His deployment the last two years has not been good and confidence is a huge factor when it comes to hockey. I see a frustrated player who is trying to simplify his game because of expectations. He needs to dominate offensively for the rest of the tournament in a big way.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

Regardless of opinion this is a player with his experience and age who should be dominating this tournament in every way. His deployment the last two years has not been good and confidence is a huge factor when it comes to hockey. I see a frustrated player who is trying to simplify his game because of expectations. He needs to dominate offensively for the rest of the tournament in a big way.

No he doesn’t need to dominate the rest of the tournament. That’s rubbish to say the least. Plenty of players dominate the tournament and become nothing’s.

Would it be exciting yes but it really doesn’t mean anything when in a year or 2 he’s playing in the NHL. It will all be forgotten about 

• Cheers 2