The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I get that out of you Jimmy

But really, commenting on a hockey stick in a picture? is reaching just a little..........

A short stick is for stickhandling in a phone booth, and nothing more

the longer stick, if is actually long, gives a much harder shot

Which is funny, because Podz have absolutely no problem with controlling the puck in tight

and has to work on his shot...........his passes seem to be spot on, so

If his stick is longer, it may be to improve what he and the coaches feel is a weaker shot

Again, I know you know this but some just don't, which is why I am spelling it out

The kid is 19 and not an "generational, elite" talent some of you expect

IMO, I think he develops in to a JT Miller type.....and that is bad How?

Frankly I don't see any thing that would remotely suggest a likeness to JT Miller. Secondly the best way to judge is look, assess what you see and reach a conclusion. Don't be stampeded by other to think contrary to what you see and don't fall prey to wild speculation, line mates, age, stick length etc etc judge on what you physically see. Because frankly you will be judged on your on comments

Also a factor....aka "POSSIBLE" factor is that he has reportedly grown substantially over a pretty short time.....if that is true, it may take time to catch up with his body

A 6'4" body with above average skill and drive is a very exciting prospect...........imagine 6'4" 215/220 at 24 years of age

That is Bo with a couple more inches.................I will wait for that!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

Frankly I don't see any thing that would remotely suggest a likeness to JT Miller. Secondly the best way to judge is look, assess what you see and reach a conclusion. Don't be stampeded by other to think contrary to what you see and don't fall prey to wild speculation, line mates, age, stick length etc etc judge on what you physically see. Because frankly you will be judged on your on comments

Fred..........If you do not know what you are looking at, you will not be able to judge properly. That is what I am saying

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I get that out of you Jimmy

But really, commenting on a hockey stick in a picture? is reaching just a little..........

A short stick is for stickhandling in a phone booth, and nothing more

the longer stick, if is actually long, gives a much harder shot

Which is funny, because Podz has absolutely no problem with controlling the puck in tight

and has to work on his shot...........his passes seem to be spot on, so

If his stick is longer, it may be to improve what he and the coaches feel is a weaker shot

Again, I know you know this but some just don't, which is why I am spelling it out

The kid is 19 and not an "generational, elite" talent some of you expect

IMO, I think he develops in to a JT Miller type.....and that is bad How?

Sure they could be experimenting with his stick for his shot, but it could also help block lanes, so I could see both uses. He doesn't seem to have any problems winning battles and getting passes through.

I'm not concerned about his goal scoring when I see so many other good parts to his game. Look at a guy like Brady Tkachuk - scored 8 goals in his college year. I'm not saying Podz is going to score 20 but if he turned out to be a Miller-like player and did the dirty work and fed passes to Petey and Hoglander e.g. I don't know why anyone would be upset by that. 

And he may yet find a scoring touch around net if one of his team mates could ever get the puck to him there. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Sure they could be experimenting with his stick for his shot, but it could also help block lanes, so I could see both uses. He doesn't seem to have any problems winning battles and getting passes through.

I'm not concerned about his goal scoring when I see so many other good parts to his game. Look at a guy like Brady Tkachuk - scored 8 goals in his college year. I'm not saying Podz is going to score 20 but if he turned out to be a Miller-like player and did the dirty work and fed passes to Petey and Hoglander e.g. I don't know why anyone would be upset by that. 

And he may yet find a scoring touch around net if one of his team mates could ever get the puck to him there. 

Exactly!

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

He was a huge net front presence and, like Petey, isn't a selfish player but maybe needs to be a bit more so.  He set up some beautiful chances and it's not really his fault if they weren't capitalized on.  Seems he was given more leeway TO move away from the net as the game went on.

People really need to pace themselves a bit more and not decide (Cup Or) Bust so quickly.  He did some good things out there...unfortunately, his team really didn't.  

I think I'm just being pessimist lol. Was expecting him to dominate this year. 

• Cheers 1

I see a LOT of fans questioning his abilities.

Guys, this IS a 19 year old kid, who has been playing in the KHL, the second best league in the world, and has been holding his own there.

Does he have more development to do? Absolutely, because, if you read back to my earlier point, he is a 19 YEAR OLD KID!

Wait and see how he looks and performs when he is signed here and plays with skilled players.

Benning is a better judge of talent than anyone else on this forum, and he is excited about this kid, so I'm more than willing to see how he looks when he gets here.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think the Czech game just proved that this may be on of Russia’s weakest teams in the WJC in a long while. 

Askarov is the only one stepping up. 

The current Russian junior team is fresh from winning the Karjala Cup. The opposition was in fact senior teams from Sweden, Finland, Czech and of course Russia. You might recall right here on this board fans were then bragging about how over whelming the Russian squad was .... juniors versus senior team. Then of course we get the "well he's still young" brigade here's another snippet the WJC is basically a 19 year old tourney ... the majority of his oppenents were also ..... "just 19!" Throw your bias out the window and judge on what you see

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Fred..........If you do not know what you are looking at, you will not be able to judge properly. That is what I am saying

Well I might be not the best but I don't believe I'm any worse than other and by the way I did scout for a NCAA uni for a few years. That of course doesn't mean any thing except you are forced under circumstances to listen to other points of view. There's going to be some hefty scholarships handed out and the Uni wants value for it's money. Blue eyes don't count it's the end product you're judged on. Podkolzin may yet turn out to be a good player, I hope he does .... just show me

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Well I might be not the best but I don't believe I'm any worse than other and by the way I did scout for a NCAA uni for a few years. That of course doesn't mean any thing except you are forced under circumstances to listen to other points of view. There's going to be some hefty scholarships handed out and the Uni wants value for it's money. Blue eyes don't count it's the end product you're judged on. Podkolzin may yet turn out to be a good player, I hope he does .... just show me

No Fred....I did not mean you...lol

Sorry Buddy, I should have worded it differently! Oops!

I am just meaning there are some people here that do not have the understanding to look past the goals and assists

and see what else the guy is doing.........

I do see Pods different than you, but you are right in the fact that at some point he has to show us

I think though that there are alot of factors

Regards of your credentials.......I like your comments....don't always agree, but who am I?

:picard:

Edited by janisahockeynut

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Benning is a better judge of talent than anyone else on this forum, and he is excited about this kid, so I'm more than willing to see how he looks when he gets here.

That same Benning who was excited about the acquisition of Pouliot and Del Zotto?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

The current Russian junior team is fresh from winning the Karjala Cup. The opposition was in fact senior teams from Sweden, Finland, Czech and of course Russia. You might recall right here on this board fans were then bragging about how over whelming the Russian squad was .... juniors versus senior team. Then of course we get the "well he's still young" brigade here's another snippet the WJC is basically a 19 year old tourney ... the majority of his oppenents were also ..... "just 19!" Throw your bias out the window and judge on what you see

I wonder why they lost to the Czechs then.  A bad game? Maybe their chemistry is whack? Askarov was the only guy playing up to par that game. Everyone else looked out of place. 

I guess overall the only certainty it goes to show that these tournaments can mean nothing after the fact. What only matters is what these prospects do once and if they make it to the NHL. 

Also I’ve always advocated for having patience and easing expectations. People can set bars too high for prospects and I prefer them to not have that pressure of expectation. 

That goes both ways though with people prematurely calling out bust and what not with prospects that don’t do too well for their personal  expectations of them which could stem from what I previously mentioned. 

Overall Patience is a virtue. 

The Czecks upped their physicality and collapsed to their net. The Russians still kept moving the puck around the outside and never tried to get more than one player battling in the front of the net. When a player did go to the front, the puck was rarely put to the front at the same time. Larionov should have gotten his guys to get inside and battle in the dirty areas more.

Since it is a team game, I watched Pod to see what he did with and without the puck. I saw a lot of smart plays and he was in good position almost always. I think he will be a good two way player who can eventually match up against top players while contributing some offense. Our skills coaches can help him with his stance and skating. I don't think he goes straight to the top 6 though. Unless we have injuries.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

That same Benning who was excited about the acquisition of Pouliot and Del Zotto?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Every GM makes mistakes on players, all you can do is give your best guess.

Even the acquisition of Vey for a 2nd, he had shown promise in the NHL, and if not for the family issues spiraling out of control, we don't know how that might have played out.

Del Zotto was a free agent signing and although he had his defensive deficiencies, he was an okay fill in for a few years.

Pouliot, for a 4th and a throw away contract, was a good risk. He had talent, just couldn't put the game together at the NHL level.