The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No different than Canada padding stats against Germany or USA against Austria.

The real separation with these guys is what they can do against teams in elimination games.

The difference is points aside Podkolzin is ready for the NHL and a lot of those other players padding their stats aren’t 

Just now, Devron44 said:

The difference is points aside Podkolzin is ready for the NHL and a lot of those other players padding their stats aren’t 

Physically I’d agree.

Might need some work on his skating, but he plays a much more rounded game than most.

4 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Okay but there was very little will before this game. If you go back it wasn’t us complaining about the lack of points. It was the floating and lack of intensity in battles.

I dont think you have been watching the past two previous games then. The complaint was solely that Podkolzin's game wasn't leading to points. If anything his game is prided off of having excellent work ethic. I've posted several clips in this thread of the past two games where his workethic and will was on display for team Russia. 

Podkolzin was playing with a lot of will, if anything was the only player playing with any sense of will.  Was Russia's most complete player the last two games. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Physically I’d agree.

Might need some work on his skating, but he plays a much more rounded game than most.

I don’t expect him to blow the doors down when he arrives like a lot of people will. It could take a couple years before we see top 6 production but getting him to Vancouver is essential for his development at this point and I can see him playing a 3rd of 4th line roll right away just fine. Should be quite the player in a few years. Thats exciting and to top it off he’s the type of player we need in our lineup

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I don’t expect him to blow the doors down when he arrives like a lot of people will. It could take a couple years before we see top 6 production but getting him to Vancouver is essential for his development at this point and I can see him playing a 3rd of 4th line roll right away just fine. Should be quite the player in a few years. Thats exciting and to top it off he’s the type of player we need in our lineup

Compare him to Virtanen. Similar draft position 6 vs 10. 

Virtanen spent his first year on the Canucks then got sent down for a year to the AHL.

Podz has spent 2 years in the KHL before coming to the NHL.

I think he will be ahead of Virt when he arrives. Meaning  better than Virt's 25 points in year 3 of his development vs year 3 Virt.

And I think his upside will be at least as high if not higher.  He makes a lot of smart plays already.  

Really looking forward to seeing Podz here with NHL coaching and joining a great up and coming team.  Kid could become part of the core very quickly.

Edited by fanfor42
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Compare him to Virtanen. Similar draft position 5 vs 10. 

Virtanen spent his first year on the Canucks then got sent down for a year to the AHL.

I think he will be ahead of Virt when he arrives. Meaning  better than Virt's 25 points in year 3 of his development.

And I think his upside will be at least as high if not higher.  He makes a lot of smart plays already.  

Really looking forward to seeing Podz here with NHL coaching and joining a great up and coming ream.  Kid could become part of the core very quickly.

6-10 not top 5

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

Compare him to Virtanen. Similar draft position 5 vs 10. 

I think he will be ahead of Virt when he arrives. Meaning  better than Virt's 25 points in year 3 of his development.

Really looking forward to seeing Podz here with NHL coaching and joining a great up and coming ream.  Kid could become part of the core very quickly.

I think there is a big difference between Virtanen and Podkolzin, personally. Virtanen was more of a “raw” prospect with tremendous physical tools, top end speed, and a great shot. The biggest question mark he had coming into the league is still the question that looms to this day, wether or not his ability to think the game at a high level could couple with his skill set. Podkolzin already thinks the game at a high level and has the skill set to match which I feel will translate much quicker to the NHL. His motor and engagement in the game is enough for him to be an effective player night in and night out at the NHL level regardless if he produces offensively right away which he may or may not we won’t know until he’s here. My expectations for him in his prime will be a 20-30, hard nosed player who other teams won’t want to play against. You kinda need those guys in today’s game especially if you want to be successful in the playoffs.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Compare him to Virtanen. Similar draft position 6 vs 10. 

I think he will be ahead of Virt when he arrives. Meaning  better than Virt's 25 points in year 3 of his development vs year 3 Virt.

Really looking forward to seeing Podz here with NHL coaching and joining a great up and coming team.  Kid could become part of the core very quickly.

The difference is Podz has an elite work level and already has the tools to be reliable defensively so he won’t have to be as sheltered his first couple years so the offensive should come a bit quicker than JV. I agree the offence maybe quite similar at first but he should be able to help the team in other area fairly quickly 

3 minutes ago, Pickly said:

I think there is a big difference between Virtanen and Podkolzin, personally. Virtanen was more of a “raw” prospect with tremendous physical tools, top end speed, and a great shot. The biggest question mark he had coming into the league is still the question that looms to this day, wether or not his ability to think the game at a high level could couple with his skill set. Podkolzin already thinks the game at a high level and has the skill set to match which I feel will translate much quicker to the NHL. His motor and engagement in the game is enough for him to be an effective player night in and night out at the NHL level regardless if he produces offensively right away which he may or may not we won’t know until he’s here. My expectations for him in his prime will be a 20-30, hard nosed player who other teams won’t want to play against. You kinda need those guys in today’s game especially if you want to be successful in the playoffs.

Are we talking a 56 game schedule in his prime? 

Well said but 20-30 points in his prime? Im thinking more like 50-60 in an 82 game schedule. He’s definitely has offensive tools to go with his rounded game

Just now, Devron44 said:

Well said but 20-30 points in his prime? Im thinking more like 50-60 in an 82 game schedule. He’s definitely has offensive tools to go with his rounded game

20 goals 30 assists. Maybe a couple seasons with 60+ points. Anything more would be outstanding production IMO. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Bazinga.

JB recently warned Virt that others were coming to take his job if he doesn't step up.  Hello Podz. Come and push Virtanen please!

Would love to see both of them reach their potential. (Hello Stanley).

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Pickly said:

20 goals 30 assists. Maybe a couple seasons with 60+ points. Anything more would be outstanding production IMO. 

We on the same page then. Definitely agree. With other aspects of his game and that kind of production will make him a very special player.

• Upvote 1