Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Did you watch the game?

No I didn't, but the games to watch was not against Austria you need to watch the game against the quality opposition. It serves no purpose to watch the games against a Pee Wee team. As a rule of thumb you do as well as the opposition permits. Canada got tired of scoring against the likes of Switzerland  and Germany, it means nothing. In our home I only get one vote as to what we watch :) But tonight I'll be voting to watch the Russia/Sweden game, fingers crossed :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

If Podkolzyn turns into a consistent heavy player he'll do well, because that is one of the teams needs. Scoring two goals against Austria only tells us he'd do well in the Austrian Junior league

Definitely his style of play is a team need.  Also, being able to play a defensive game will likely get him into the NHL sooner than many other jr. players.  I do believe that he will take some time to reach his potential though.

 

He surpassed the Russian Jr league and the 2nd adult league long ago; both of which far exceed the Austrian Jr league.  I agree that the 3pts don't prove anything about his NHL playability, nor does the treasure trove of goals the Cdns are scoring against Germany and Switzerland. 

 

We are all speculating on what Podz NHL game will be right now, but I think Larionov's and Button's thoughts are at least based in professional experience.

 

 

 

  • Vintage 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

OK, gonna call you out on your "meaningless games" deal because it seems you may apply a double standard.

 

So:  when you were impressed by Zegras....was that in the game they lost versus Russia?  Or, more likely, the one where they clobbered Austria (meaningless team/game)?  

And Newhook & Sukuki?  During the game where they slaughtered a depleted/limping German team?  Because your comment was made after that game.

 

It's ok to be excited about Canucks' prospects (like I am)...but if you're not on board, that's cool too.  Just want you to be consistent in how you gauge players, that's all.  

 

 

He he that's a nice take on it... I guess we'll find out a lot about Zegras/Podz/Costmar the two upcoming games which will be interesting. Points are not really the main issue though, remember Petey being kind of less than elite in his tourney because of linemates or whatever, but still think it will give a clear indication on what level each player is on.

Edited by J-P
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, J-P said:

He he that's a nice take on it... I guess we'll find out a lot about Zegras/Podz/Costmar the two upcoming games which will be interesting. Points are not really the main issue though, remember Petey being kind of less than elite in his tourney because of linemates or whatever, but still think it will give a clear indication on what level each player is on.

Time will tell...for all of them.  And that extends beyond this and into how they fare in the NHL.

 

But it's ok to be excited about our prospects.  Love people who come in here touting other players and compare ours negatively against them when they...actually don't even watch?  No.  Your opinion really doesn't count if it's based on checking out point totals and stats.  Especially when claiming that you don't need to read the reports...you watch with your own eyes.  Except when you don't.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

OK, gonna call you out on your "meaningless games" deal because it seems you may apply a double standard.

 

So:  when you were impressed by Zegras....was that in the game they lost versus Russia?  Or, more likely, the one where they clobbered Austria (meaningless team/game)?  

And Newhook & Sukuki?  During the game where they slaughtered a depleted/limping German team?  Because your comment was made after that game.

 

It's ok to be excited about Canucks' prospects (like I am)...but if you're not on board, that's cool too.  Just want you to be consistent in how you gauge players, that's all.  ,

 

Some truth in that. But   A) I didn't swoon over Newhook, if you're to quantify him from the German game.  B)  B) Zegras I ranked before he was even drafted. I liked him then and I like him now. He's clearly a quality player, you don't need  to watch him more than once to understand his skill. Podkolzyn you have to wait for a Pee Wee game to watch, I never watched Podkolzyn prior to the draft and apart from the Pee Wee game I've seen nothing. You skew his value by using the Austrian game to make a judgment ....IMHO.  But that's not to say I'm correct

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Some truth in that. But   A) I didn't swoon over Newhook, if you're to quantify him from the German game.  B)  B) Zegras I ranked before he was even drafted. I liked him then and I like him now. He's clearly a quality player, you don't need  to watch him more than once to understand his skill. Podkolzyn you have to wait for a Pee Wee game to watch, I never watched Podkolzyn prior to the draft and apart from the Pee Wee game I've seen nothing. You skew his value by using the Austrian game to make a judgment ....IMHO.  But that's not to say I'm correct

Says we skew Podz value (he didn't watch him...we did) :blink: 
Decides based on "never watching him prior to the draft" and not watching him in a meaningless game. 
But knows more about him than we do.

 

On Zegras:  "ranked him before he was even drafted....quality player...you don't need to watch him more than once(aka skewed value?)

 

It's ok...this is hurting my brain too much.  I'm just going to keep watching and cheering for our guy.  You keep not watching and evaluating in order to correct us when we're wrong.   

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Googlie said:

Finally got the skinny .....

 

After Larianov told him he had to be the team's defensive conscience, he googled "defensive forward", and watched endless hours of tape, then modelled his game after Eriksson countless Red Army players to emulate.

 

ftty

 

Larionov is transitioning that team to a more signature/traditional Russian style of hockey.

 

Imo this serves Podzolzin - and the Canucks - well.  We all know the Podkolzin has upside/talent - I welcome this focus on the rest of the game - and don't really care about concerns over situational and small sample production.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, oldnews said:

ftty

 

Larionov is transitioning that team to a more signature/traditional Russian style of hockey.

 

Imo this serves Podzolzin - and the Canucks - well.  We all know the Podkolzin has upside/talent - I welcome this focus on the rest of the game - and don't really care about concerns over situational and small sample production.

Larionov clearly trusts VP to lead the way in that regard. Tonight will be a great chance to see how far he's come, Sweden won't be an easy game. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Larionov clearly trusts VP to lead the way in that regard. Tonight will be a great chance to see how far he's come, Sweden won't be an easy game. 

I think if his teammates show up, Pod will have a good game. They’ll still be in tough against the Swedes, of course. But the Russian team as a whole needs to make good decisions on exits, play selection, and shot selection, at least compared to what they did in their earlier games (especially versus the Czechs). The last game was a step in the right direction, but also an inferior opponent, so it’s easier to dictate play. But if the Russians get back to treating the puck like a hand grenade, poorly reading transition paths, flubbing passes, fanning on shots, and making a bunch of stupid point shots into heavy traffic, then Podkolzin likely won’t look very good, regardless of how hard he works, or how well he plays individually.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Some truth in that. But   A) I didn't swoon over Newhook, if you're to quantify him from the German game.  B)  B) Zegras I ranked before he was even drafted. I liked him then and I like him now. He's clearly a quality player, you don't need  to watch him more than once to understand his skill. Podkolzyn you have to wait for a Pee Wee game to watch, I never watched Podkolzyn prior to the draft and apart from the Pee Wee game I've seen nothing. You skew his value by using the Austrian game to make a judgment ....IMHO.  But that's not to say I'm correct

So you have never watched him play, you can't even spell his name right, and what do you mean - you didn't watch the game so you still haven't seen 'nothing'... :picard: just stop man

 

"You skew his value by using the Austrian game to make a judgment ....IMHO." isnt that what you're doing though lmfao

Edited by Laheys Liquor
  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Laheys Liquor said:

So you have never watched him play, you can't even spell his name right, and what do you mean - you didn't watch the game so you still haven't seen 'nothing'... :picard: just stop man

 

"You skew his value by using the Austrian game to make a judgment ....IMHO." isnt that what you're doing though lmfao

He must have gotten into your liquor cabinet! :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

It’s laughable reading posts from arm chair keyboard warriors that clearly have never stepped on the ice in their lives 

 

Somehow these clowns are now prospect experts

 

I am ordering you all (you know who you are) to cease immediately and leave the talent commentary to the few people on this forum that actually know hockey 

 

I have been busy so that that leaves approximately 5 others that are allowed to comment

 

in the meantime let me offer some advice:

 

- the scoresheet rarely tells the story

- did the player pick up his check?

- did he get into the correct offensive position?

- did he make passes or set up plays that were not converted? 
- does he handle adversity with poise?

- what Is his breakout and retreat speed?

- puck handling skill?

- ice vision?

- corner strength?

- does he lead by example?

- shot quality?

- overall hockey IQ?

 

all this can be seen and evaluated regardless of competition 

 

you are welcome fir the tips you clueless fools that attempt to actually k is the game (you know who you are)

 

oh, and Happy New Year

 

 

 

 

What on earth is this post lol

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I think people have too high of expectations for Podz.  He won't be a top 6 forward this year or the next.  I see him on a similar path as Bo and Bo was not a top six forward right away.  He was on the 4th and the 3rd lines.  Expect him to develop with maybe 10 to 12 goals for his first couple seasons.  I like Podz and think he is a great prospect for us.  I just don't see him having the start that Pete and Quinn.

Yeah, Pod isn't a Petey/Hughes level prospect. Both of which would probably go much higher in a redraft. Pod will be a fantastic complementary player, perfect for Horvat.

Edited by Qwags
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...