The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Forget the Alex Burrows or Jannik Hansen comparisons.  These guys weren’t even drafted or were drafted like in the 9th round. 

Podkolzin needs to be compared to first round talent. His skill and work ethic put him in a category of Gabriel Landeskog. If he keeps growing and turns into a true power forward he could be a smaller version of Todd Bertuzzi. 

Podkolzin already has better on ice vision than either Miller or Horvat. He sees the ice like a #1 centre would. He will also be bigger than both those guys when he’s 22. 

As Benning already said Podkolzin will be a top 6 talent. Putting him with Miller and Horvat would probably produce one of the best shutdown lines in all of hockey. 

I think this is a solid comment

His vision is quite extraordinary, and many of his passes are not converted, mainly because the receiving player is not ready for them

I too, have the feeling that when he adds that extra muscle, he will be a force

NHL Coaching and off season training should fix the small things that are impediments for him now....aka shot! (which is about the only thing I see that needs to improve)

I am hoping for somewhere between Burrows and Landeskg, is where he lands. Here is hoping!

He will be a handful for the softer players in the league, that is for sure

My only thought is, lets take it easy on him for the first shift, anyways........whatcha think........give him some time!

Man, we are going to be rich, if some of our young ones reach their ceiling!

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Millsy said:

Agree with all of this. Basically Jake has to prove he deserves the 2RW spot this year and then keep it. I doubt he will as Podz is a better player, but as a 3RW who can play PP and PK if they develop that in him ( I hope so, his speed will cause a lot of issues and potential SH goals) he is still valuable. It will also make him cheaper. If Jake wants to hit it big financially this year and next mean it all. Upside for him is he can play LW and Pearson will be gone in a year so he still has outs to stay top 6 if he proves he deserves it.

I think Virtanen's future here has a couple good potential paths still.

He's had his share of experience/development alongside Sutter - and is likely to only get better in that sense (he's just starting to glimpse a stage of mental 'maturity' imo) - but nevertheless is significantly more advanced than Gaudette, who is pretty close to Virtanen's age, but nowhere near as ready to play challenging minutes.  In this sense an improved Virtanen is also a viable fit for Horvat - actually a good fit imo - as Horvat is a solid transition player - who handles his share of dzone starts and matchup minutes - Virtanen's speed/transition threat, development, heaviness - is potentially a pretty good fit for Horvat.   While the same can be said about Podkolzin - who also brings some great complementary strengths whether it'd be on a line with EP and Miller, or Horvat's line - and could undoubtedly handle comparable development where he could potentially start 'seasoning' in the NHL as a two way 3rd line winger (although I think Podkolzin stands a good chance of stepping in higher up in the lineup).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

It’s been nice seeing some potential out of Podkolzin firsthand. Didn’t really notice him the first couple of games but the last two have been promising. All we really have are stats and the odd highlight posted on Twitter or YouTube. The stats aren’t really there but the KHL is traditionally a league where young players don’t get a lot of opportunity. To be honest I was losing some optimism about him so it’s nice to actually see the skill and talent. Hopefully he can transition his game to impose his will against pros like we’ve seen him do the past couple of games.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cat Man said:

As you please.

I expect to be proven wrong and will look

forward to resuming this topic later in the season :mellow: 

no right or wrong - we're just guessing at this stage - but I'd think that the risk of becoming 'peripheral'  might confront Gaudette moreso at this stage - although Green has been pretty consistent in getting him minutes at center thus far, so he may not wind up a winger conversion in the end.

Personally I'm not as concerned as some people with the departures of Toffoli - I'm somewhat relieved that there remains a winger spot open to younger players to compete for - and I think there's enough talent within to fill that.   I think it would have been nice to bring back Leivo though - who was versatile and gave Green options....

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't think I was referring to your post.  I believe a few others mentioned he was a Burrows comparable many times in this thread.  Agreed with Costmar.  I like him on our 4th line and he looks like a Burrows type pest with some skill.  Could be a diamond in the rough in the 7th round...

I agree.

If we're talking about Podkolzin, those players don't come to mind.

One person that does - is "The Tank" (although from a different era).

Podkolzin has more size, perhaps more speed, - not one for 'nicknames' really, but perhaps we have ourselves the "APC"?

Whatever the comparison though - having another two way, solid, intelligent power forward that can skate - to add to Miller and Horvat (and Pearson, Virtanen)....that's fun to look forward to.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think a lot will depend on which version of Jake shows up this camp and season

To be indelicate, Virtanen is just about to start growing a/his brain.

Not a shot - I can relate lol.  For most men, we don't reach a physical/strength/energy peak until around 25 - which is about the same stage at which we grow an adult brain.

He's a young 24.  I think there's a lot more to see from Virtanen - imo he's one of those guys that are late bloomers - although I have no problem with what he's brought to this point - until this past playoffs (where there was certainly room for improvement/bette performance) = it hasn't really mattered much.

I'd agree that he needs to continue taking steps forward though - and particularly building a consistent, professional off ice work ethic.  There's certainly been great examples in that sense in Vancouver - the Sedins, Bieksa, and now Beagle, Sutter, (and likely Horvat) - definitely examples of how to stay in professional shape (at all times).  That can be a great example - can also make a player like Virtanen feel relatively young/green - realize how much work he has to do to reach those kinds of seasoned levels of fitness/habit.  I'm going to guess that it will increasingly rub off - I think he'll continue to grow into his potential (in large part because of how much respect he also has for his coach/Green - who I think has done a great job with Virtanen.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Forget the Alex Burrows or Jannik Hansen comparisons.  These guys weren’t even drafted or were drafted like in the 9th round. 

Podkolzin needs to be compared to first round talent. His skill and work ethic put him in a category of Gabriel Landeskog. If he keeps growing and turns into a true power forward he could be a smaller version of Todd Bertuzzi. 

Podkolzin already has better on ice vision than either Miller or Horvat. He sees the ice like a #1 centre would. He will also be bigger than both those guys when he’s 22. 

As Benning already said Podkolzin will be a top 6 talent. Putting him with Miller and Horvat would probably produce one of the best shutdown lines in all of hockey. 

I kinda agree with the optimism here but Burrows was a top line talent and key contributor on one of the most dominant teams we’ve ever seen... if Podkolzin can play like prime Burrows we’ve knocked a the pick out of the park.... draft positions be damned.

Edit: I agree that style wise they’re much different... just saying I’d be happy with Burrows-like production and impact out of Pods. 

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Not a shot - I can relate lol.  For most men, we don't reach a physical/strength/energy peak until around 25 - which is about the same stage at which we grow an adult brain.

He's a young 24.  I think there's a lot more to see from Virtanen - imo he's one of those guys that are late bloomers - although I have no problem with what he's brought to this point - until this past playoffs (where there was certainly room for improvement/bette performance) = it hasn't really mattered much.

I'd agree that he needs to continue taking steps forward though - and particularly building a consistent, professional off ice work ethic.  There's certainly been great examples in that sense in Vancouver - the Sedins, Bieksa, and now Beagle, Sutter, (and likely Horvat) - definitely examples of how to stay in professional shape (at all times).  That can be a great example - can also make a player like Virtanen feel relatively young/green - realize how much work he has to do to reach those kinds of seasoned levels of fitness/habit.  I'm going to guess that it will increasingly rub off - I think he'll continue to grow into his potential (in large part because of how much respect he also has for his coach/Green - who I think has done a great job with Virtanen.

If rumours about his offseason are to be believed combined with a prime opportunity at RW, I’m 100% on board with this.  I think this is Jake’s year. 

• Cheers 3

43 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Absolutely agree. 

Now he just needs to actually take those steps :lol: We'll find out soon enough!

The next 'problem' then becomes (assuming the maturity materializes), can we afford to keep him along with Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat etc mid-long term? If he becomes the player he can, I hope so!

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Myers is reputed to be a real fitness buff also. 

On 12/31/2020 at 12:14 PM, gurn said:

Nobody cares if you missed a game.

The issue is you missed a game, but felt ok venturing your opinion on how a guy played, even though you did not watch that game.

Simple really.

Not only that, but doubled, tripled and quadrupled down on the opinion when challenged on it. No one would care if someone says something, didn't watch the game, then gave up on the idea (or couldn't qualify it as a larger statement).

18 hours ago, aGENT said:

Also wouldn't eventually mind him on Bo's W. Bo could use a playmaker on his line, something Podz is already pretty decent at. And his defensive/two way  play would mesh well with the Horvat line's match up role.

I expect he starts on the third (or fourth) line but an eventual top 6 of:

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser
Hoglander, Horvat, Podz

Sure looks purrrty to me :wub:

If it wasn't for his playmaking, I'd be more worried about Bo and Podz on the same line. How I mean that is they're both tenacious players and great in pucks battles, especially in the corners and on the forecheck. It doesn't hurt to have two of those on one line, but it's nice to have some diversity and spread those skills around. Podz having some vision and understanding how the play is going could bode well though. And we know Bo can finish a play, too.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is a bang on comparison- Gabriel Landeskog is whast I think iPod will turnout to be. He will look amazing on Horvat's right-side, and Miller will play on Bo's left-side. Leaving Hoglander, Petey, and Boeser as our first line. A top 6 built the right way, and young enough to grow together. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

no right or wrong - we're just guessing at this stage - but I'd think that the risk of becoming 'peripheral'  might confront Gaudette moreso at this stage - although Green has been pretty consistent in getting him minutes at center thus far, so he may not wind up a winger conversion in the end.

Personally I'm not as concerned as some people with the departures of Toffoli - I'm somewhat relieved that there remains a winger spot open to younger players to compete for - and I think there's enough talent within to fill that.   I think it would have been nice to bring back Leivo though - who was versatile and gave Green options....

Agreed, though guys like Hawr, Mac...even potentially one or two of Lind, Bailey, Jasek, Michaelis etc can also battle it out for that 'role'...and won't be playing on one questionable, post-surgery, knee. Or the time it will take him to likely get back up to speed on it.

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sorry EP, can he play a few games in the NHL first?

Good lord man i want your crystal ball

15 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Sorry EP, can he play a few games in the NHL first?

Good lord man i want your crystal ball

No he is good to go right now.  No need for him to even practice.  He could play on my right side right away, but my buddy Brock might get jealous...  :)

People also ask

What is Corsi percentage in hockey?
Corsi, called shot attempts (SAT) by the NHL, is the sum of shots on goal, missed shots and blocked shots. ... According to blogger Kent Wilson, most players will have a Corsi For percentage (CF%) between 40 and 60. A player or team ranked above 55% is often considered "elite".
en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki › Analyti...

Analytics (ice hockey) - Wikipedia

(Whoever Kent Wilson is ...)

Edited by Googlie
  • Thanks 3