The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

There are a few Russian players who are rather breathtaking on the rush. Podz isn’t that. He is an industrious skater but it’s not really pleasing to the eye. Kind of reminds me of Cody Hodgson in this regard...though I think he’s a better skater than CoHo was. But he is on another level in terms of his “half court” game down low. These other kids can’t really move him once he has the puck on his stick down low. Could easily have a couple points in this game if his team mates could finish.

I was disappointed in Podz first couple of games. I guess I was a “hater”. But I love what I’m seeing now. Just wish he was rewarded with some points for his efforts.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Locke Lamora said:

There are a few Russian players who are rather breathtaking on the rush. Podz isn’t that. He is an industrious skater but it’s not really pleasing to the eye. Kind of reminds me of Cody Hodgson in this regard...though I think he’s a better skater than CoHo was. But he is on another level in terms of his “half court” game down low. These other kids can’t really move him once he has the puck on his stick down low. Could easily have a couple points in this game if his team mates could finish.

I was disappointed in Podz first couple of games. I guess I was a “hater”. But I love what I’m seeing now. Just wish he was rewarded with some points for his efforts.

He’s Bo + Burr imho 

And it’s pretty hard not to love a player like that. As a long time canucks fan, he is a throw back to what it meant to be a Canuck. Heart, effort, grit, do what it takes, and still has skill (which we didn’t have in the 80’s). Guys like Smyl, Fraser, Linden etc were loved because we sucked but they gave it their all. This kid isn’t going to hit 100 pts but he sure as hell is the type you win with. 

Edited by Millsy
  • Vintage 3

7 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I never thought of people as haters.

More premature in their assessment.  Impatient and not allowing a proper sample size...which is what we're now getting.  Cheers for your honesty though.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

depends on the eye ^_^ Il love his style, will fit very well with Miller or Bo. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

My God our top 6 is going to be hard to deal with if JV can take the next step and Miller can stay at the top of his game for 4-5 years.

Miller Petey Boeser

JV Bo Podz

For all the benning haters, as someone who’s been a fan of this team for 30+ years, this group of kids top to bottom, including our D, is the best group I’ve ever seen as a fan.

I really do think this group will win a cup. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

depends on the eye ^_^ Il love his style, will fit very well with Miller or Bo. 

Problem is that's how some assess things.  If you're not Bure on a breakout you're a bust.

It's the little intricacies that often go unnoticed.  But shouldn't.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Problem is that's how some assess things.  If you're not Bure on a breakout you're a bust.

It's the little intricacies that often go unnoticed.  But shouldn't.

its exiting to me because the things we're seeing usually take offensive prospects into their late ELCs to emerge. If Goldy had 1/2 of what Podz is showing he'd be on the team.

What will he produce for goals in the NHL? who knows. I can see him being something like a 15 goal, 50-60 point player if he's able to translate his game. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

1st period summary:

- Podkolzin two great defensive plays breaks up Germany's ozone pressure

- Hasn't carried the puck very much this game. 

- Hungry on the puck though, as poster above said, German tried stripping him of the puck, but his strength in his hands, wrist, and arms he anchors himself to pull the puck away from the German to negate Germany from going the other way at the end of the first period.

- Larionov seems to be having Amirov controlling zone entries today, whether that is a tactic to have more puck possession and speed, but it hasn't been nearly as effective when Podkolzin was the primary puck carrier against the Swedes.  Not sure why the switch but it hasn't led to as many offensive opportunities. Russia overall looked a bit tentative as they were leary of making plays into the middle of the ice, but slowly starting to poke away at Germany.

54 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

2nd period summary:

- Podkolzin hasn't done very much offensively on the stat sheet, but he has been a factor that has led to a lot of ozone chances for his linemates and other lines.

- consistently shift after shift his attention to the dzone work has led to Russia going on the offensive attack because his subtle chips, dumps, clears, and active stick work in passing lanes has disrupted Germany's continuity on the offensive attack.

- Podkolzin had two really good ozone shifts where he stole the puck and made really good passes in the middle of the ice. High danger passes was critique in his game, where he always elected to make a safe pass, but overall his time in this tourney has seen his vision and playmaking skills as he is now electing to find the open man in high danger areas specifically seem passes through the middle of the ozone.

- Tiresless worker, if I can recall he had 4 takeaways in that period.

- Would like to see the play run through him more often, finding that Khusnutdinov and Amirov are making some blind passes into nowhere, or skating themselves into traffic only to lose the puck.

3rd Period Summary:

Much of team Russia's gameplan seem to try and lull Germany to sleep. They seemed very content with skating back and forth and not making a lot of chances. Podkolzin however, made several good passes to try and generate some offense. Most notably he made a good pass from behind the net on the short powerplay which created havoc in front.

- Podkolzin steady as a rock defensively. Watching him reminds me of watching Ryan Kesler in his prime in 2011. Just super hard working, very smart in his placement of his stick and overall positioning, and just breathes confidence and calmness into his team. Out in the final minute of the game and makes a great play at the defensive blueline to clear the puck and stifle any comeback for the Germans.

- Did anyone else notice, but his skating level went up a notch? He seemed even quicker on the backcheck and first to loose pucks on the forecheck.  I don't care what strength of the opposition, but Vasili increases his game when it counts and he notably seemed very thorough in his approach in the third period. This screams to me that he has urgency in his game at the right moments.

Overall: A grade for his game today, would've been an A+ for Podz if his teammates were able to finish his good passes, but overall such a steady hand throughout the game. You can see why he is the captain for Russia, brings such a professional approach to his game that it transcends throughout the lineup.  Don't be fooled by the stat line you will see from this game, without context, you miss out on his actual impact on this game.

This is the bread and butter of Podkolzin's game, steady, impactful, and uses each second on the ice to be effective. There are some players who provide empty calorie performances but have a good stat line, but despite what you may see has 0'z across the board, Podkolzin steadily played probably his most complete game of the tournament. 

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Imagine the puck retrieval and board work with Miller? Droooooool.

maybe Bo too. With Bo being a beast on face-offs and Pods going into retrieve pucks, they can create a lot of chances that way too. I'd love to see Hoglander-Bo-Podz work out. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 3

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

- Did anyone else notice, but his skating level went up a notch? He seemed even quicker on the backcheck and first to loose pucks on the forecheck.  I don't care what strength of the opposition, but Vasili increases his game when it counts and he notably seemed very thorough in his approach in the third period. This screams to me that he has urgency in his game at the right moments.

I did notice.

I think it happens and that's why some who are so quick to judge need to show restraint and patience.

His "urgency" as the game was on the line certainly shone through.  A bit of a slower starter...but guys who really want to win CAN be a bit tentative as they feel things out.  I think that, like Petey, he really feels a sense of responsibility out there.  Seems to have a good level of maturity in his game that will translate well here.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I think there's a bit of fan ego that sometimes gets in the way of things.  Having to set things up to be "right" down the road that prevents really enjoying some of the moments.

It's ok to be excited....even IF proven wrong down the road.  It's why I watch....because someone sparks that positive energy.  

Some watch, closely, to see if he fails rather than when he succeeds.  Small victories are ok to celebrate...we don't have to wait to see if it's all or nothing.  Cup or bust (who never did respond which, for me, makes the comments meaningless and more of a troll job than real insight).

Cheers to having something exciting to look forward to.  Rather than holding our breath to see "if" it all goes wrong in order to chime in with an I told you so.  

I'm really enjoying this tournament and a good portion of that is based on how our prospects are generating so much interest.  It's great.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Underrating the hard work the German team did. They were playing a lot like the Czechs. Giving Russia nothing to get shots on goal.

dunno, I felt like Russia came out a bit flat in the 1st, not really skating hard and didn't build a decent lead. They picked it up later tho and were lucky for this not to go to OT.