The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

10 minutes ago, Comet Fan 0727 said:

I agree 100%. I don’t care what his stat line is for the tournament....he plays a pro game and will just get better and stronger.  Just the type of player you want going into 7 game playoff series. 

He is the kind of guy you'd love to see filling out a scoring line - willing to do the hard work - forecheck, backcheck, take the body, get the puck, feed his teammates and he will never hurt the team wherever he is played. Hoglander, Horvat, and Podkolzin would make a very interesting second line one day.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

In another thread it was tweeted that Benning expects Pod to be available by April 30th and they intend to sign him and have him playing games this season.

That will be a very interesting mid season addition.  I am not sure if there will be an opportunity for him to be released a little earlier if his team is bounced from the playoffs.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Provost said:

In another thread it was tweeted that Benning expects Pod to be available by April 30th and they intend to sign him and have him playing games this season.

That will be a very interesting mid season addition.  I am not sure if there will be an opportunity for him to be released a little earlier if his team is bounced from the playoffs.

Generally KHL rules are if you release a player (buyout) before their actual termination date for the deal, the KHL team releases the rights to the player should they ever want to resign back to Russia. Also like an RFA like situation, doing so means they relinquish priority rights over the player, and most KHL teams are reluctant to do that especially with young potential Russian stars.

I'm sure Benning and Podkolzin would be more than happy to buyout the deal but it is likely SKA's deal to not do so. Considering how political they are this season about his usage, and multiple times they've tried to extend his deal, he has said no, so you can tell they really like him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Very pleased with Podkolzin's tournament, thought he played his heart out, but a team filled with a lot of 18 year olds, its tough.

Loved the clip someone posted in the last page of him screaming leadership over his teammates. This kid cares to win, you can doubt his hands and offensive production all you want but his give a damn meter is so high, you wish a lot of Canuck players had the same mentality. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Hansen's 6'1", 198 lb. as a grown man.  Podkolzin is already 6'4", 203 lbs. and probably has 3-4 years of good growth left, probably topping out around 220-230?  
Probably will be a lot more built and tougher to handle in the right side hash marks.

Where is this 6'4 coming from? 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I wish I see what many on here see in pods. I just dont. 

I see Jannik Hansen.

Yeah, I don’t see any comparison what so ever. The only thing they have in common is they check hard and play with a high motor. Hansen had great top

end speed but hands of stone, average IQ, and was predominantly a checker. Pods is an all around great player who doesn’t excel at anything in particular but plays a smart game and always finds himself engaged in the play and creating turnovers or chances. There’s a reason he was a top 10 pick. 

• Cheers 3

29 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

Where is this 6'4 coming from? 

Depends on which page of this thread you've read.

8 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Yeah, we know, they got that from the KHL page. No idea how it got to that, but as has been noted with him standing next to other players during the WJHC, he's more likely 6'1" or 6'2". Don't worry about his height. He's a solid player who plays strong.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I see Jannik Hansen.

After watching every game and trying to isolate my eyes on podz, he reminds me nothing of Hanson. His iq and his playmaking are top notch and his strength and positioning were very impressive.

He is definitely the type of player where stat watching can be misleading, ( not saying that was you)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BlastPast said:

Anyone with a functioning pair of eyes-and half a brain- can tell you he isn't 6'4''.

Yep. It’s as though seeing that Petey won’t magically become that 190lb specimen they were hoping for some folks now want to fantasize about Podz becoming our own 6’4” Ivan Drago. I think 6’1” is likely which is plenty big, plenty strong.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I see Jannik Hansen.

I wish I could see what people see in Tram, because I don't.

Yes he's tall. Because of his height he skates decently. He's an above average defenceman. 

He's no Chara. He doesn't hit so much as just skate into you. (That does show smarts because he doesn't want to draw penalties)

I like Podz character, and his desire, and overall game far more than Tram. 

• Like 3
  • Wat 2

36 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yes he's tall. Because of his height he skates decently. He's an above average defenceman. 

He's no Chara. He doesn't hit so much as just skate into you. (That does show smarts because he doesn't want to draw penalties)

Chara wasn’t even Chara until midway through his career. Neither the Islanders nor Ottawa saw enough in Chara to keep him. 
Tryamkin, much like Chara has one thing you can’t teach.... And that’s size.

Bo Horvat’s knock was his skating, look at where he is at now. We have a monstrous dman that we shape and mold. One who tosses guys like Getlaf and Jamie Benn around like its childs play.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, knucklehead91 said:

Chara wasn’t even Chara until midway through his career. Neither the Islanders nor Ottawa saw enough in Chara to keep him. 
Tryamkin, much like Chara has one thing you can’t teach.... And that’s size.

Bo Horvat’s knock was his skating, look at where he is at now. We have a monstrous dman that we shape and mold. One who tosses guys like Getlaf and Jamie Benn around like its childs play.

yeah, no. he was a big piece of the trade that landed yashin for the isles, and then ottawa let him walk because they had to choose which of their two star ufa defencemen they were going to squeeze under a $39 mil salary cap and went with the more established commodity in redden. 

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I also dont see the obsession. Guy played one season for us and it's likely it ends there lol.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1