The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

11 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

When did I insult anyone?

Herb just called me a joke... you turned a blind eye to that...

Not that I'm insulted.

You have been negative and willfully ignorant about Podz ever since you jumped into this thread last year and abused poor Alf because he wasn't as ignorant as you are about Podz. 

Specifically, you insulted Alf because unlike you, he was aware that JB had described Podz as being NHL-ready when he was drafted.

If you don't want to be called a joke, maybe you should stop saying stupid things like, "This place is a joke anymore. Pod should have won at Ross..." about a player that those of us who actually follow our prospects are eagerly awaiting.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Damn, rough luck there.  Not intentional at all....feel SO bad for him.

no kidding, that was heartbreaking. Penalty created due to effort :picard:

Kids got nothing to be ashamed of, he just earned himself an NHL ELC that he gets to burn most of 1 year off. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Can't wait to see Podkolzin in the blue and green. He brings a different skill set than Pettersson, Hoglander and Boeser. I see him more of a Horvat type of player, a bull with speed, lots of heart, captain material (not that he'll ever be the Canucks captain)

The USA guys, they've been paying together for years. But even those players will report to the teams that drafted them, and then we'll see the players they become. Jack was sure underwhelming in NJ, just sayin'. 

Is Caufield going to score 50 goals a season for the Habs? Doubtful. Is Zegras going to suddenly make the Ducks a playoff team? Don't make me laugh. Just examples, but I can see a player like Podkolzin having a big impact in VAN and adding to the great young talent they've already got.   

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Hallaffnnlooya. Well said. Some people get it, some obviously don't. But if you've played the game at any level you know how valuable players of Pods ilk can be. He just may end up being the perfect addition at the perfect time for this team. 

• Cheers 2

Well, that was not really that impressive

BUT

The Canucks have to get this kid out of Russia or out of the system he is in.

They are killing his creativity.

He seems to be playing like he is scared to make a mistake, tentative. Ever now and then he just played, he went after the puck. Most times he was bent over, one hand on the stick and looking over his shoulder.

Played very much like in a restrictive system still.

WJC media were not ecstatic in describing his play or projecting his NHL spot.

• Wat 1

32 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

BUT

He seems to be playing like he is scared to make a mistake, tentative. Ever now and then he just played, he went after the puck. Most times he was bent over, one hand on the stick and looking over his shoulder.

who are you listening to?   all of the key knowledgeable people I know who were following the WJC very closely could not have spoken more highly about him and how he is NHL ready but seemed to be mismatched on his own team.   your description seems very much at odds with what actually happened on the ice so perhaps you had the wrong number for him  (?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Every media member I heard speak with respect to VP said essentially the same thing - he's NHL ready right now and can not only play, but contribute.  Mind you, I only had access to the TSN coverage (who we all know have no love for Vancouver) - yet all of them more or less agreed that VP's game, his physical package, and his mind-set are all geared more towards NHL-style hockey vs. the KHL where he's struggled (deployment decisions and ice time by his coaches notwithstanding). 

I'm guessing JB has his entry level deal already waiting for him to sign as soon as his season in the KHL is done.  Should be interesting since as far as I know the end of the KHL season corresponds closely with the end of the NHL season/beginning of playoffs over here. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

BUT

Really? Ferraro was very complimentary of Pods play and complimented Pods on his play several times after his first game. Burke described Pods as NHL ready. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

who are you listening to?   all of the key knowledgeable people I know who were following the WJC very closely could not have spoken more highly about him and how he is NHL ready but seemed to be mismatched on his own team.   your description seems very much at odds with what actually happened on the ice so perhaps you had the wrong number for him  (?)

Ferro, MacKenzie, even Button was less than glowing and he will say a goalie played great in 10 goal loss. They described him as bottom 9, middle 6, a complementary player. I guess you didn't watch or turned the sound down.

I guess you didn't actually read my post. I stated they needed to get hi away fromteh KHL because they are ruining his creativity and confidence. I am sure glad that you feel the KHL is the best league to teaching players how to play.

21 minutes ago, rekker said:

Really? Ferraro was very complimentary of Pods play and complimented Pods on his play several times after his first game. Burke described Pods as NHL ready. 

That can be taken as good or bad. I would sure hope he is as good as he gets. More likely it has to do with his size and simply getting him out of Russia.

Besides can you name ONE SINGLE TIME any of them ever said something negative about a Canadian draft pick, EVER?

31 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Ferro, MacKenzie, even Button was less than glowing and he will say a goalie played great in 10 goal loss. They described him as bottom 9, middle 6, a complementary player. I guess you didn't watch or turned the sound down.

I guess you didn't actually read my post. I stated they needed to get hi away fromteh KHL because they are ruining his creativity and confidence. I am sure glad that you feel the KHL is the best league to teaching players how to play.

I think you are hearing what you want to hear Lazurus

I think if you are looking for a purely offensive "STAT" type player, you are looking at the wrong guy. In saying that he is one hell of a passer. But his strength lays in his high motor, forecheck, and his general IQ. His ability to never stop. He will be the guy that gets a large amount of assists.

Take special note of Igor Larionov's response, when the Russians played in the bronze game and Podkolzin was talking to his team-mates during a stoppage. In short, Larionov let Podkolzin do the talking. This is an indication of just how respected Podkolzin is as a captain. And I can assure you that a captain will not be listened or be allowed to talk like that, if he does not walk his own talk........so I would point to you what the Russian players and coaches thought of Podkolzin

But, even further to this. Once Green and Co, convince him, he does not have to carry the Canucks, he will be able to use his energy more efficiently, he will find that he is not the only one that can forecheck, etc. I do not believe you will ever find him at the top of the scoring race, but I do think you will find him at the top of many more stats that are complimentary. 

Interestingly enough, a poster over in HFBoards thought that Podkolzin would make a elite defensive centerman........and I have to say he reminds me very much of a young Bob Gainey, who was probably the poster boy, of all defensive centers.....EVER! (He was a +200ish in his career) Gainey also had multiple 20 goal seasons, while being that type of player. Now I am not advocating that at this time, but the poster does make a point.

Gainey was also Captain of the Canadiens during this time.

I think it is very important to recognize, that he is young and it may take time to find his nesh, but lets not diminish him, before he even laces his skates up.

PS........Ferrero had a lot of nice things to say about Podkolzin that I heard first hand, so I am not sure exactly what you are talking about there. They were all positive

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think you are hearing what you want to hear Lazurus

I think if you are looking for a purely offensive "STAT" type player, you are looking at the wrong guy. In saying that he is one hell of a passer. But his strength lays in his high motor, forecheck, and his general IQ. His ability to never stop. He will be the guy that gets a large amount of assists.

Take special note of Igor Larionov's response, when the Russians played in the bronze game and Podkolzin was talking to his team-mates during a stoppage. In short, Larionov let Podkolzin do the talking. This is an indication of just how respected Podkolzin is as a captain. And I can assure you that a captain will not be listened or be allowed to talk like that, if he does not walk his own talk........so I would point to you what the Russian players and coaches thought of Podkolzin

But, even further to this. Once Green and Co, convince him, he does not have to carry the Canucks, he will be able to use his energy more efficiently, he will find that he is not the only one that can forecheck, etc. I do not believe you will ever find him at the top of the scoring race, but I do think you will find him at the top of many more stats that are complimentary. 

Interestingly enough, a poster over in HFBoards thought that Podkolzin would make a elite defensive centerman........and I have to say he reminds me very much of a young Bob Gainey, who was probably the poster boy, of all defensive centers.....EVER! (He was a +200ish in his career) Gainey also had multiple 20 goal seasons, while being that type of player. Now I am not advocating that at this time, but the poster does make a point.

Gainey was also Captain of the Canadiens during this time.

I think it is very important to recognize, that he is young and it may take time to find his nesh, but lets not diminish him, before he even laces his skates up.

PS........Ferrero had a lot of nice things to say about Podkolzin that I heard first hand, so I am not sure exactly what you are talking about there. They were all positive

I don't know of any media person that said anything negative about any player.

But I do interpret "he will be a good support player" or "fans will like him he plays a heavy game" and "he will compliment scoring players" as being less than enthusiastic comments'

He is good. He is great, He is fantastic. All are positive comments, but there are degrees in those comments. One player they really raved about was that other Canucks Swedish draft pick, Arvid Costmar. By comparison of comments between the two was noticeable. They almost raved about Costmar

In my "eye test" he wasn't playing relaxed or all out. He seemed reserved. I would love to see him over here. As far as leadership, pretty sure Horvat, Miller, Sutter, Edler, .....are enough. Too many chefs and not enough cooks.:mellow:

33 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

I don't know of any media person that said anything negative about any player.

But I do interpret "he will be a good support player" or "fans will like him he plays a heavy game" and "he will compliment scoring players" as being less than enthusiastic comments'

He is good. He is great, He is fantastic. All are positive comments, but there are degrees in those comments. One player they really raved about was that other Canucks Swedish draft pick, Arvid Costmar. By comparison of comments between the two was noticeable. They almost raved about Costmar

In my "eye test" he wasn't playing relaxed or all out. He seemed reserved. I would love to see him over here. As far as leadership, pretty sure Horvat, Miller, Sutter, Edler, .....are enough. Too many chefs and not enough cooks.:mellow:

I would take anything being "raved" about at the World Juniors with a grain of salt. Some kids dominant that tournament and don't amount to much in the end - see Hodgson and Schroeder. Mittelstadt was running away with praise, but... since then? Even Will Lockwood looked great and was raved about for his work ethic in the tournament, but I don't believe he is going to be an impactful player for us when all is said and done. On the flip side, players like Quinn Hughes didn't have a standout performance, and actually showed better at higher levels like the World Championships and at the NHL level. 

Podz is definitely one of those players that will look better (on the score sheet), when he plays with better players. His game is exactly what we need on our team and will thrive in my opinion once he gets here in terms of his development and future outlook. If I had to pick a forward from the tournament to throw onto the wing of EP40 or BH53, Podz would probably be it. I wouldn't worry about how much praise he got playing with kids. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1