The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

3 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

He's trying to make a point that, just because a player might not have done well at the WJC doesn't mean he cannot be an effective NHLer.  He used Bo Horvat.

oh ok.. missed that part at the very bottom of the page, finally saw it, thanks

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Oh I appreciate Podkolzyn's skills. But he's more like a Juolevi type pick than a Hughes type. I fully understtand the need for different components  to make a good roster and I suspect he will be a welcome addition but his effect will be more like a Virtanen effect ( not in attitude but defining skills) I'm trying to remain realistic and like many  hope for the best. Zegras what a beauty he's going to be and frankly  I did follow him pre draft and was hoping we'd land him, we missed by one pick. Boldy was better than I expected but I'm not fully sold on him. Just think if we'd drafted Zegras, this board would be in a swoon

Like you said we couldn't draft Zegras so it's moot to think about such things. 

I personally advocated very hard for Newhook but 100% Podkolzin was the player to take there. Imagine the years of poop fleury we would have to endure if JB had let a top 5 ranked pick slip by him at 10. (also a moot point he didn't)

He had a great tournament some had a better one. That doesn't diminish Podkolzin's performance. Could you imagine the tournament he would have had playing with finishers like on the American and Canadian teams. I feel like he's doing just fine for a 19yearold kid playing a mans style. 

• Cheers 3

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

So Podkolzin is different, and has a different skill set. Does he lack a snippers shot, yes, but it is teachable to some extent, so it will improve.

Don't see much wrong with this .....

• Cheers 1

It’s interesting to watch his highlights from when he was younger. He was much lighter, quicker on his feet and played with better support players. It wouldn’t surprise me if an increase in his conditioning would make a world of difference for his effectiveness on the ice now that he is a much bigger guy. The difference of his shiftiness from when he was young and light to now reminds me a lot of Joulevi when he won the tourney with Laine to when he grew and then captained the team himself. It’s not shocking that either player were picked where they were, and then had growing pains because of their respective situations and personal events.

1 hour ago, HomeBrew said:

It’s interesting to watch his highlights from when he was younger. He was much lighter, quicker on his feet and played with better support players. It wouldn’t surprise me if an increase in his conditioning would make a world of difference for his effectiveness on the ice now that he is a much bigger guy. The difference of his shiftiness from when he was young and light to now reminds me a lot of Joulevi when he won the tourney with Laine to when he grew and then captained the team himself. It’s not shocking that either player were picked where they were, and then had growing pains because of their respective situations and personal events.

It is honestly hard to tell if he's lost a step or not. This tourney he definitely looked slower but I think he was hurt. He was shaken up after a lot of plays and it appeared to be a lower body issue. He just didn't look to be skating in some games and that isn't the Podz we all know. More often than not as players gain weight they slow down slightly but it isn't very noticeable. But I think his best world juniors was his first one which is weird.

Edited by Outsiders

19 hours ago, hammertime said:

Like you said we couldn't draft Zegras so it's moot to think about such things. 

I personally advocated very hard for Newhook but 100% Podkolzin was the player to take there. Imagine the years of poop fleury we would have to endure if JB had let a top 5 ranked pick slip by him at 10. (also a moot point he didn't)

He had a great tournament some had a better one. That doesn't diminish Podkolzin's performance. Could you imagine the tournament he would have had playing with finishers like on the American and Canadian teams. I feel like he's doing just fine for a 19yearold kid playing a mans style. 

He's doing fine considering he hasn't been developed much but I think most of what you see is from his drive to learn and be a elite player, some say he isn't but I doubt you'd convince him of otherwise since Horvat was much the same but with much better development but it will come for Podz in time, a huge upgrade from Jake, Jake only wishes he had the drive as Podz does. 

7 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

First one looked like a Petey snipe.. can see that coming close to Petey's with some more practice

Exactly what I thought.  I tried to capture a still shot of the stick flex at impact and put side by side with one of Petey's but that skill is way above my pay grade

Here's Petey's first NHL goal ...

Edited by Googlie

39 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Exactly what I thought.  I tried to capture a still shot of the stick flex at impact and put side by side with one of Petey's but that skill is way above my pay grade

Here's Petey's first NHL goal ...

yeah I saw that goal, perfect shot... 

20 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Guys.............I say that generically!

Look why do you love Motte, Burrows, Lupul, Cooke, Snepts, even Pettersson.........

Because they work so damn hard.......they are honest, no shifts off kind of players

It's why we love Ripper, and Hansen

Yes, all different skill levels, but if they all floated we would be moaning............

Here we have a kid, that has not played a game in the NHL, is only 19

We look at Virtanen and we want Podkolzin's motor, his drive, his passion.......

It just not that simple and players do not all come perfect....well maybe Huggy and Petie

But usually it takes some time, and effort, and I can tell you,

If Podkolzin wants to improve, he has the drive and will to do it

But let see what he has got, before we start cutting him down!

thankfully I'm cheering for Podz bigtime, like his game and potential and that work ethic I know very well, I grew up like that myself, had a perfectionistic dad so I learned in a hurry what hard work pays off... seems like he is a more talented BoHo but with a semi mean streak 

7 hours ago, iceman64 said:

He's doing fine considering he hasn't been developed much but I think most of what you see is from his drive to learn and be a elite player, some say he isn't but I doubt you'd convince him of otherwise since Horvat was much the same but with much better development but it will come for Podz in time, a huge upgrade from Jake, Jake only wishes he had the drive as Podz does. 

why does a complement to Podkolzin need to be a slap in the face to Jake? Its water under the bridge at this point. Accept Jake for Jake and let it go. realistically he's good value for his contract brings size and speed can pot 20 maybe. I'ts not jakes fault he was picked where he was in the draft. Get over it. I feel like we have seen this episode with Steve Bernier and after he left watched him settle into a role where he was accepted as a role player and helped NJ to a finals they had no business being in.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, hammertime said:

why does a complement to Podkolzin need to be a slap in the face to Jake? Its water under the bridge at this point. Accept Jake for Jake and let it go. realistically he's good value for his contract brings size and speed can pot 20 maybe. I'ts not jakes fault he was picked where he was in the draft. Get over it. I feel like we have seen this episode with Steve Bernier and after he left watched him settle into a role where he was accepted as a role player and helped NJ to a finals they had no business being in.

I don't know, maybe because he came to camp numerous times out of shape and nowhere near ready.. duh!

On 1/8/2021 at 1:25 PM, J-Dizzle said:

‘Skating isn’t up to par....’ 

‘Not enough numbers in the regular season to justify a top ten pick....’

‘didn’t dominate world jr’s....’

..... Bo Horvat 2013/2014 

Haha, ha some more.

So well played...

I did not like the Horvat pick when it came out.  I consider myself successfully slapped upside wit a codfish.  I am fully screeched & on board with Podkolzin.

I should save this for a Newfie player, but it still fits. I wish u good luck Podz, may the wind be in yer sails...

6 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Podkolzin is a top 6 player Jake is not . Podkolzin has the drive to win that is needed on the Canucks . Jake not so much. Jake is a third line winger, Podkolzin would look good on Horvat's wing. 

I'd think Podkolzyn is ultimately going to take Pearsons spot with Hoglander switching wings

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1