Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

This doesn't answer his question, but even when he came to camp outta shape he still would have dropped 20 goals on a full season. Lol. Jake Virtanen is so talented he came to camp outta shape and still almost outscored the rest of the 3rd line combined. He had 18, they had a combined 19. But hey, y'all keep frothing from the mouth about a 3rd line player. Arguably the only legit 3rd line talent we have in the bottom 6.

Jake should have done what Tuch did in the Vegas series but he didn't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

This doesn't answer his question, but even when he came to camp outta shape he still would have dropped 20 goals on a full season. Lol. Jake Virtanen is so talented he came to camp outta shape and still almost outscored the rest of the 3rd line combined. He had 18, they had a combined 19. But hey, y'all keep frothing from the mouth about a 3rd line player. Arguably the only legit 3rd line talent we have in the bottom 6.

so yeah anyone can just walk into camp out of shape, who cares right? heck why should anyone show up in shape if Jake doesn't have to?

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, iceman64 said:

so yeah anyone can just walk into camp out of shape, who cares right? heck why should anyone show up in shape if Jake doesn't have to?

Nobody is saying make Jake captain. 

 

At some point you either accept and embrace the person he is or you don't. Is his potential higher than his performance? Sure is! Is it frustrating? Absolutely. But there is more to life than hockey and you can't really blame a 24 year old kid for wanting to be a 24yearold kid.

 

What were you like at 24? Did you eat breath sleep your job  I doubt it. You're like one of those hockey Dads who gets in fights with other dads in the stands. Just let the kids play. Settle down it's a game gramps. 

 

Not everyone is cut out for HHOF some actually play hockey for fun. I suspect Jake is at his very best when he is having fun out there. End of the day the kid can play and contribute on the ice. Will he ever live up to his draft position? Meh let it go. 

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember when all our future hopes laid on the shoulders of first round prospects like Horvat, Virtanen, Boeser, Juolevi... Then we drafted Pettersson and Hughes.  Everything changed.  It hasn't been essential to the success for the Canucks for all these guys to become guarantee first line/pairing stars.  What matters is they are high end reliable talent in whatever role or place they are put in on the team. 

 

Horvat is that and more... Our captain. 

 

Boeser is that and more... 1st line sniper and developing his defensive game.

 

Juolevi though later than expected, looks like he is turning into (his floor) a solid #3 or high end #4 defenceman.  

 

That leaves Virtanen... Who cares if he doesn't live up to our original expectations.  That no longer matters.  All we need is for him to play on a line that get the most out of his skill sets. 

 

No management is going to hit a home run every first round.  It just happens that canucks management hit two grand slam home runs in consecutive years... And a steal in the later part of the first in Boeser.  I haven't even discussed Podkolzin, Höglander and all the other later round picks that are looking like not to distant nhl players....

 

Herb, I know it's tiresome... Seriously, even if we win the cup with this team and current management, there will still be posters here (we all know who you are) that will say its in spite of Benning and co... Bla, bla, bla...

 

I don't know about you but I have kept track of the chronic negative posters and am very much looking forward to digging up some of their most 'flattering' post and throwing them back in their faces.   Seriously, I get why fans of other teams can't stand Vancouver fans (the reputation)... Bandwagon, cancel culture, whiny, overly sensitive bunch of 'karens'.   If I wasn't a die hard fan of the Canucks (since 89'), I'd have switched elegances back in 2011. 

 

Though not perfect, this is the best drafting management in canucks history hands down.  Trades middle of the road but improving.  FA signings were and is still the weakest link within this management, but has gotten better over the last couple years. 

 

Ultimately... We as canucks fans should be super excited and proud of the team that's being assembled.  Doesn't mean that we have to be positive all the time but really.... The pros way outweigh the cons... What's not to like?

 

I digress, Podkolzin is here in April just in time for us to make a good run in the playoffs.  This year is going to be a lot of fun!!!  :canucks:

 

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Nobody is saying make Jake captain. 

 

At some point you either accept and embrace the person he is or you don't. Is his potential higher than his performance? Sure is! Is it frustrating? Absolutely. But there is more to life than hockey and you can't really blame a 24 year old kid for wanting to be a 24yearold kid.

 

What were you like at 24? Did you eat breath sleep your job  I doubt it. You're like one of those hockey Dads who gets in fights with other dads in the stands. Just let the kids play. Settle down it's a game gramps. 

 

Not everyone is cut out for HHOF some actually play hockey for fun. I suspect Jake is at his very best when he is having fun out there. End of the day the kid can play and contribute on the ice. Will he ever live up to his draft position? Meh let it go. 

you'll have to excuse me if I don't feel sorry for a spoiled millionaire...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Podkolzin would be great alongside Pettersson.

 

Watching those 2019 WJC highlights - it seems like he plays more conservatively now. I don't know if its a confidence/mindset thing - playing in a top pro league. But I think as he takes more chances his offense will shine through a little more.

 

There's no doubt he's got the smarts to play with good players. Playing in a more structured league with better players like the NHL will help Podkolzin so long as he can keep up to play (don't see why he can't). 

 

Really excited about him. Maybe they can get him to shoot more in time, because he does have a good shot, but he'll help out on a top line by doing the dirty work & being able to make plays quickly when he turns the puck over.

 

It'll also be nice to see someone so unafraid to take the puck hard to the net. 

  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Give Miller Podz, just for a while, put a translator on the other wing and let Podz soak it up.  He will.  Coaches dream player, will devour the puck on the forecheck.  Will be a turnover machine.  He is everything, minus needed shift to NA, but he is already bottom six guy on our roster, except he would have to be paid way above an elc rate to be a bottom six player for the Canucks... lol.  

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think Podkolzin would be great alongside Pettersson.

 

Watching those 2019 WJC highlights - it seems like he plays more conservatively now. I don't know if its a confidence/mindset thing - playing in a top pro league. But I think as he takes more chances his offense will shine through a little more.

 

There's no doubt he's got the smarts to play with good players. Playing in a more structured league with better players like the NHL will help Podkolzin so long as he can keep up to play (don't see why he can't). 

 

Really excited about him. Maybe they can get him to shoot more in time, because he does have a good shot, but he'll help out on a top line by doing the dirty work & being able to make plays quickly when he turns the puck over.

 

It'll also be nice to see someone so unafraid to take the puck hard to the net. 

That's not a bad idea. We'll see how it plays out, but having Podkolzin with Petey and Miller is a dominating line. Boeser on RW with Horvat and whoever on LW would be an amazing second line. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to Mogilny this guy out of Russia. Once he’s with the Canucks, there’s probably more likelihood of Tryamkin coming over too. 

  • Like 2
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no doubt Podz will practice and train hard and play his ass off when (if?) SKA choose to play him....knowing that April, and the start of his NHL career isn’t too far away. 

 

Seeing a story like this didn’t surprise me in the least.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming back or not, you think you'd ice the best lineup you can with the best guys you've got at any given time. I'll never understand. Gotta love political skullduggery. 

 

He may not come from Russia with love, but he'll definitely be coming hungry. 

  • Vintage 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...