The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

20 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't disagree at all but I bet he is pretty frustrated with this Russian Club where his underlying stats show a top six if not top line forward stuck with sub fourth line minutes where he sets up guys who are ill-suited for taking the passes etc. and further hampers what production he can actually create.    Kid has to be mentally tough to know he is far better than the opportunity that he is being provided.

Would you care to share those underlying stats?
And would you be so kind as to translate them into your understanding/perception of what they mean?

2 minutes ago, nzan said:

Would you care to share those underlying stats?
And would you be so kind as to translate them into your understanding/perception of what they mean?

Share, can't do that.

Translate?   They are numbers - numbers don't know language.   He drives play, has incredible possession numbers and gets stuck with largely linemates in lower quartile of KHL averages.    Take that at face value or don't take it - your call.     

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Share, can't do that.

Translate?   They are numbers - numbers don't know language.   He drives play, has incredible possession numbers and gets stuck with largely linemates in lower quartile of KHL averages.    Take that at face value or don't take it - your call.     

I was asking a straightforward question, did it come across as snarky/aggressive? Because your answer did.

Is it fair to assume from your answer that you haven't actually looked at those numbers?

18 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

There’s not a lot out there, when it comes to publicly available KHL advanced stats/microstats. You can access a whole bunch of stuff if you’re willing to shell out money for a paid service, but for free, you’re probably limited to following somebody like Chris Faber on Twitter (@ChrisFaber39), who has been watching Podkolzin’s KHL games all season and manually tracking his stats.

Last I heard, Podkolzin was running at a rate somewhere in the low 60’s, when it comes to his CF%, which would be considered to be very good. I believe he’s one of the top players on SKA, when it comes to his possession numbers, as well as one of the better CF% in the KHL.

As for the recent WJC, here’s a really good Twitter thread that references a bunch of advanced stats, and Podkolzin often appears in the top-3 for Team Russia:

Sid, his CORSI for is insane - nearing 70%.    

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sid, his CORSI for is insane - nearing 70%.    

That’s great. Last I saw, it was around 63% or something, but he’s been so strong on possession, so wouldn’t surprise me if he’s pushed his rate even higher.

Admittedly, I haven’t been tracking his numbers too closely this season. I’ve seen enough to make up my mind about Pod, so I’ve stopped really looking up stats on him. I just know he’s gonna be good. 

But I’m curious what service are you using for KHL advanced/tracking stats? 

Do they have some of the other quirky tracking stuff available from the smart tech, like total distance skated and silly things like that?

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That’s great. Last I saw, it was around 63% or something, but he’s been so strong on possession, so wouldn’t surprise me if he’s pushed his rate even higher.

Admittedly, I haven’t been tracking his numbers too closely this season. I’ve seen enough to make up my mind about Pod, so I’ve stopped really looking up stats on him. I just know he’s gonna be good. 

But I’m curious what service are you using for KHL advanced/tracking stats? 

Do they have some of the other quirky tracking stuff available from the smart tech, like total distance skated and silly things like that?

Not a service - people who are invested in knowing the players trends in multiple European leagues.   I know there are a lot of personal relationships with individual clubs involved too.    There is a different level of information exchange in Europe than in North America - perhaps due to the media doing most of the work in North America.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not a service - people who are invested in knowing the players trends in multiple European leagues.   I know there are a lot of personal relationships with individual clubs involved too.    There is a different level of information exchange in Europe than in North America - perhaps due to the media doing most of the work in North America.

Jeesh, I am glad you are back! :canucks:

• Cheers 1