The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

31 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

To me he looks like a 50-60 point guy. He won’t be out of place in an NHL top 6. The guys board plays and defensive battles will make the coach very happy and earn him minutes. With his hockey sense and playing with the players we have on our top 6 I can definitely see him as a 50+ point player.

Do you think this makes Virtanen expendable? Or is there a place for Jake in the line up still? 

He seems to be dropping in the depth chart. Höglander is already working harder than Jake it feels, and if Podkolzin comes in, he's going to be pushed further down the line up, no? 

With that being said. I'm pumped and can't wait for Pod to join the team! 

17 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Do you think this makes Virtanen expendable? Or is there a place for Jake in the line up still? 

He seems to be dropping in the depth chart. Höglander is already working harder than Jake it feels, and if Podkolzin comes in, he's going to be pushed further down the line up, no? 

With Podkolzin in the lineup and him being a dream player for Green, I don't see a fit for Virtanen in the top 6.  He isn't a 4th line energy guy either, I'd rather have Motte and MacEwen in that role.  So that leaves the 3rd line RW spot.  If Kole Lind gets converted to centre then there is a possibility that Virtanen can play alongside Lind.  Gaudette can also be converted to right wing on the 3rd line. 

At the end of the day I don't think there will be room for both Gaudette and Virtanen on this team.  One or both will have to go.  Maybe both if Hawryluk or Lockwood can make an impact in a bottom 6 role.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Depends really what you want from Jake and if you still think he can become a top 6 guy. I think Jake on the 3rd line being a guy that jumps up in the top 6 due to injury is fine. He won’t get you much in a trade but yeah I’d say he’s expendable if he’s bringing value back at a different position. I’d personally just keep him for the 3rd line as I still do like his blend of size and speed. Once Roussel’s contract is up after this season there’s a 3rd line wing spot that’s his for the taking.

Just when we thought he was out, they pull him back in.

Podkolzin may not play for the Canucks this season after all, after being named to the Russian national team for the World Championship tournament, which is scheduled from May 6 to June 21.

The prevailing logic was that when Podkolzin’s KHL contract is up on April 30, he was free to sign with the Canucks and join the team before the end of the regular season, which concludes on May 8 against the Calgary Flames.

But the World Championships announcement has thrown a wrinkle in that timeline.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-prospects-tracker-a-wrinkle-in-the-podkolzin-timeline-lind-leading-the-comets?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1612152793

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Just when we thought he was out, they pull him back in.

Podkolzin may not play for the Canucks this season after all, after being named to the Russian national team for the World Championship tournament, which is scheduled from May 6 to June 21.

The prevailing logic was that when Podkolzin’s KHL contract is up on April 30, he was free to sign with the Canucks and join the team before the end of the regular season, which concludes on May 8 against the Calgary Flames.

But the World Championships announcement has thrown a wrinkle in that timeline.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-prospects-tracker-a-wrinkle-in-the-podkolzin-timeline-lind-leading-the-comets?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1612152793

The world championships have to happen for that to be an issue.

Right now they’re very much in doubt.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

And did I not recently read that even if he does sign with us this season, he's not eligible to play in the playoffs?  If that's the case, then even if there are no World Championships, he would get in very few games with us this season (and none if there are World Championships).

I don’t think so. That would probably only apply to players who’ve already had NHL deals (like an RFA like Tryamkin), in which case signing deadlines come into effect. But for an ELC, the player can sign late into the season, or even after the regular season ends, and still suit up for the playoffs. Like Cale Makar for Colorado. Signed his ELC on April 14th, 2019, didn’t play any games in the 2018-19 regular season (since it ended April 6th), but played 10 games in the 2019 playoffs.

EDIT: You probably did read something about it, however, during last year’s “return to play.” AFAIK, the NHL changed the rules for the COVID-19 season. Normally, players could be signed, burn a year, and participate in the playoffs. But with the season postponed, and the return to the playoff bubble, the NHL didn’t allow teams to sign late ELCs and have those players participate in the 2020 playoffs. IIRC, teams were still allowed to sign their players to late ELCs, and they could burn a year, but they weren’t permitted to join the 2020 playoff rosters. This affected teams and players like Kaprizov (Wild), Sorokin (Islanders), Romanov (Canadiens), etc. In a normal year, those players might have been signed and activated for the playoffs, but that option was taken away in 2020, as part of the NHL’s “return to play” guidelines.

To be honest, I’m not sure what the NHL has decided for the 2020-21 regular seasons and the 2021 NHL playoffs. But I suspect they’ll revert to the old rules, and this year they will allow late ELC signings to participate in the playoffs. I think the bubble and “return to play” was just a one-off, due to the rather unique circumstances involved.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, NHL'er said:

Kimberly Newell - babe of glory 100% :wub:

also yea Vasily’s English is very good! Surprised we hadn’t heard him speak before.

I think his English has always been better than was reported by some. For example, during his draft interviews, I can remember one reporter noticing that Vasily would answer some English questions without waiting for his interpreter. He’d speak only Russian, but could clearly understand some of the questions in English. And since then, he’s worked on improving his English, and the results show in that video. Pretty clear he already has enough basic English to get by, when it comes to talking to teammates, or receiving coaching. He’s probably just going to be a little like Petey was: shy about messing up words during TV interviews, but more than capable of following conversations and understanding the basics of what’s being said, and able to answer questions in English, just maybe with some reluctance, at first. I’d expect it’ll only take one season (or less) in North America, and he’ll be quite comfortable using English, both formally and informally.

5 hours ago, 70seven said:

I think Virtanen is being swallowed up by team depth with or without Pod, but yes I do think Podkolzin will be ahead of Virt once he makes the switch. 

Pod is superior in hockey IQ, 200ft play, and work ethic already.  Not sure he’s any more skilled from a goal scoring perspective, but he’ll have better totals because he’s a 200ft player. 

Really excited for this addition.  It’ll really help with team depth and give Green some new options and looks in all situations. 

I would love for this to happen and fully expect it to. I just wish virtanen had a better work ethic because if he turned it around we’d have a pretty deadly third line too. 

On 2/1/2021 at 9:14 AM, DeNiro said:

The world championships have to happen for that to be an issue.

Right now they’re very much in doubt.

The IIHF just announced that it will take place now solely in Riga.  They say they can turn it into a bubble environment if necessary.  

Edited by mll
  • Like 1