The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

On 2/20/2021 at 8:12 PM, 73 Percent said:

I think hes saying that due to multiple factors not just the injury.

Theres khl playoffs

Then contract talks

Then quarantine 

Then practice (not sure if green will just throw him in the lineup)

Then his health

All these stars have to align by april 8th (47 days) for him to play a game with us this year.

+ not be selected for the Worlds. 

“Technically, his contract goes to the end of the World Championship,” said Benning. “That’s when his contract technically ends.”

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/when-can-the-canucks-sign-vasily-podkolzin-its-complicated-coronavirus-3146135

8 hours ago, GoCanucks16 said:

and how would we do that?

So…can the Canucks sign Podkolzin?

What’s the answer to the question? Can the Canucks sign Podkolzin to play this season? It depends.

If the 2021 World Championship is cancelled due to COVID-19, Russia would have no reason to deny Podkolzin’s ITC. He could be released from his contractual obligation and sign with the Canucks once his KHL season ends on April 30th.

Even if it’s not cancelled, Russia could still release Podkolzin from his obligation and he could sign with the Canucks, same as Nikita Tryamkin and Nikita Gusev.

There’s even a possibility that Podkolzin could sign before April 30th if SKA gets knocked out of the playoffs earlier and the KHL and Russian Federation agree to release Podkolzin from his contract early, just as they did with Tryamkin.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What’s the answer to the question? Can the Canucks sign Podkolzin to play this season? It depends.

If the 2021 World Championship is cancelled due to COVID-19, Russia would have no reason to deny Podkolzin’s ITC. He could be released from his contractual obligation and sign with the Canucks once his KHL season ends on April 30th.

Even if it’s not cancelled, Russia could still release Podkolzin from his obligation and he could sign with the Canucks, same as Nikita Tryamkin and Nikita Gusev.

There’s even a possibility that Podkolzin could sign before April 30th if SKA gets knocked out of the playoffs earlier and the KHL and Russian Federation agree to release Podkolzin from his contract early, just as they did with Tryamkin.

Wouldn't that use up a year of his ELC though?  Unless there's drastic change, the Canucks are likely to be playing golf after the regular season.  I think they should sign him for next season.

10 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Wouldn't that use up a year of his ELC though?  Unless there's drastic change, the Canucks are likely to be playing golf after the regular season.  I think they should sign him for next season.

I think signing him earlier has some advantages on his second contract in that you could get it for lower. Also, it would mean he couldn't be offersheeted when his ELC is up. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yes it would but just like Hughes it gets him here early so we can integrate him into the team as quickly as possible.  It would also allow us to trade Pearson and get an asset back.  We could play Podkolzin with BO and Hoglander and see what happens.  Also, with one year less on his ELC contract that would mean his second contract will probably be less than it would have been if it was 3 full years instead of only 2.  We would have to re-sign both Hoglander and Podkolzin together in the summer of 2023, which may not be a bad thing, just like Petey and Hughes are re-signing at the same time this summer.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They did with Tryamkin because he was not going to be selected for the Worlds.  Podkolzin got his concussion while representing his country - it’s part of preparation for the Worlds.

The IIHF confirmed the Worlds and that they would set up a bubble environment if need be.

Even if he does not make the Worlds does it really make sense.  Players tend to give up once the playoffs are out of reach and there could be a few guys still upset that the season went down the drain.  Not necessarily the happiest atmosphere.   Might just be better to have his 1st contact with the team be once everyone is eager for a new season to start and after Benning has time to strengthen the team in the off-season.

Edited by mll
  • RoughGame 1

30 minutes ago, mll said:

They did with Tryamkin because he was not going to be selected for the Worlds.  Podkolzin got his concussion while representing his country - it’s part of preparation for the Worlds.

The IIHF confirmed the Worlds and that they would set up a bubble environment if need be.

Even if he does not make the Worlds does it really make sense.  Players tend to give up once the playoffs are out of reach and there could be a few guys still upset that the season went down the drain.  Not necessarily the happiest atmosphere.   Might just be better to have his 1st contact with the team be once everyone is eager for a new season to start and after Benning has time to strengthen the team in the off-season.

No he got his concussion with SKA playing against Spartak.  I believe it was the first game back after the Worlds.

Even if they play the Worlds he still has to make the team.  Has the roster been announced?  If he's on the team then it's a moot point.  If he's not then they could absolutely release him from his contract prior to April 30th if SKA is eliminated from the playoffs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No he got his concussion with SKA playing against Spartak.  I believe it was the first game back after the Worlds.

Even if they play the Worlds he still has to make the team.  Has the roster been announced?  If he's on the team then it's a moot point.  If he's not then they could absolutely release him from his contract prior to April 30th if SKA is eliminated from the playoffs.

Looks like he is at least a consideration given he took part in that tourney.  The NHL season is so compressed that there might not be as many NHLers joining this year which would leave more spots open + there’s also the tourney’s quarantine rules to be able to take part so not sure there will be that many NHLers. 

On 2/24/2021 at 11:19 AM, mll said:

Looks like he is at least a consideration given he took part in that tourney.  The NHL season is so compressed that there might not be as many NHLers joining this year which would leave more spots open + there’s also the tourney’s quarantine rules to be able to take part so not sure there will be that many NHLers. 

With an "Aon his sweater as well.  One of the youngest Russian players ro be given an A for the national team.   Looks like a lock for the Worlds, if they are played.

Edited by Googlie

On 2/24/2021 at 11:03 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Even if they play the Worlds he still has to make the team.  Has the roster been announced?

Obviously the roster for the world championship starting on May 21st is not announced yet. But Valery Bragin who is still the head coach of the Russian national team has said recently that most players for the world championship are going to be in the roster for the final part of EuroTour in Czech Republic on May 11-16, which is after the KHL playoffs. If Podkolzin is in that roster, then he is most likely going to the world championship.

• Thanks 4

On 2/23/2021 at 5:53 PM, HockeyHarry said:

I wonder if Pods agent Igor Larionov would be able to persuade SKA to release him after there season ends. Even if its only a few days or weeks earlier.

It's "possible" that he might get signed earlier, but only if the Worlds don't go ahead.

How is his English though?

This is an important question after the struggles Canucks players have had in the past making Russians feel comfortable as part of the team and city as well. Hopefully Francesco has learned something from the Shirokov and certainly the Tryamkin experience.

The Canucks need to be a more Russian friendly team if they want to attract more top talented Russian players.

Will he able to assimilate to the North American culture is the biggest question along with being able to stay healthy over the course of an 82 game season playing his bulldog style game.

He plays a very non traditional game for a Russian player. It is a more north south  power game which is better suited on the smaller NHL ice.

I am intrigued by the player. I just hope the Canucks don't fail supporting him off the ice as a person. 

After all, despite his maturity and being widely praised for his work ethic, 2 way game, and compete level he is still just a young kid. He will be in a foreign country with strange customs and unfamiliar foods etc.

That transition will be as interesting to follow as the on ice one.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Love to see Pod in a Canuck uni ASAP

but Canucks are done this season and people bitch about cap space so I don’t see any reason to burn a year of his Rookie entry level contract. Yes they got Hughes in to a few early games and burnt a year. now Canucks have to sign him big. It could have been pushed back a year. So Loui is gone. All I’m sayin is keep low contracts going as long as possible so Canucks can weed out the Bad contracts.

If Pods plays this season him and Hoglander will have to be signed at the same time which imo gives them both players leverage for higher contracts, cuz they both play a similar style of game , agents would use that leverage or maybe Canucks could. I don’t know. Safer splitting up the contract years.

Plus Pods concussion, Canucks can’t tell SKA not to play him til he’s 100%. I would rather Canucks start Pods at train camp so we know he should be 100%. Also both he and Tryamkin should come over together and start Canucks Camp. it’ll be a better environment for both of them.

Edited by HockeyHarry

9 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

How is his English though?

This is an important question after the struggles Canucks players have had in the past making Russians feel comfortable as part of the team and city as well. Hopefully Francesco has learned something from the Shirokov and certainly the Tryamkin experience.

The Canucks need to be a more Russian friendly team if they want to attract more top talented Russian players.

Will he able to assimilate to the North American culture is the biggest question along with being able to stay healthy over the course of an 82 game season playing his bulldog style game.

He plays a very non traditional game for a Russian player. It is a more north south  power game which is better suited on the smaller NHL ice.

I am intrigued by the player. I just hope the Canucks don't fail supporting him off the ice as a person. 

After all, despite his maturity and being widely praised for his work ethic, 2 way game, and compete level he is still just a young kid. He will be in a foreign country with strange customs and unfamiliar foods etc.

That transition will be as interesting to follow as the on ice one.

I remember watching an interview of his a while back and noticed that his English is actually quite good. Much better than I had expected. Seems to be pretty intent on knowing the language. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Love to see Pod in a Canuck uni ASAP

but Canucks are done this season and people bitch about cap space so I don’t see any reason to burn a year of his Rookie entry level contract. Yes they got Hughes in to a few early games and burnt a year. now Canucks have to sign him big. It could have been pushed back a year. So Loui is gone. All I’m sayin is keep low contracts going as long as possible so Canucks can weed out the Bad contracts.

If Pods plays this season him and Hoglander will have to be signed at the same time which imo gives them both players leverage for higher contracts, cuz they both play a similar style of game , agents would use that leverage or maybe Canucks could. I don’t know. Safer splitting up the contract years.

Plus Pods concussion, Canucks can’t tell SKA not to play him til he’s 100%. I would rather Canucks start Pods at train camp so we know he should be 100%. Also both he and Tryamkin should come over together and start Canucks Camp. it’ll be a better environment for both of them.

College players are different than other prospects. If we don't sign Hughes early there is a chance, a very slim chance, he just stays in college til he is a free agent. In hindsight we can say he'd never do that, but why risk it? Also it's just good player relations to do that. We've done it with seemingly every college prospect so far. Burn a year off their ELC to get them in the organization. So I am not against doing it with Pod either, getting him acclimated sooner is a boon for us.

• Cheers 1