Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

How is his English though?

 

This is an important question after the struggles Canucks players have had in the past making Russians feel comfortable as part of the team and city as well. Hopefully Francesco has learned something from the Shirokov and certainly the Tryamkin experience.

 

The Canucks need to be a more Russian friendly team if they want to attract more top talented Russian players.

 

Will he able to assimilate to the North American culture is the biggest question along with being able to stay healthy over the course of an 82 game season playing his bulldog style game.

 

He plays a very non traditional game for a Russian player. It is a more north south  power game which is better suited on the smaller NHL ice.

 

I am intrigued by the player. I just hope the Canucks don't fail supporting him off the ice as a person. 

 

After all, despite his maturity and being widely praised for his work ethic, 2 way game, and compete level he is still just a young kid. He will be in a foreign country with strange customs and unfamiliar foods etc.

 

That transition will be as interesting to follow as the on ice one.

 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Love to see Pod in a Canuck uni ASAP

 

but Canucks are done this season and people bitch about cap space so I don’t see any reason to burn a year of his Rookie entry level contract. Yes they got Hughes in to a few early games and burnt a year. now Canucks have to sign him big. It could have been pushed back a year. So Loui is gone. All I’m sayin is keep low contracts going as long as possible so Canucks can weed out the Bad contracts.

 

If Pods plays this season him and Hoglander will have to be signed at the same time which imo gives them both players leverage for higher contracts, cuz they both play a similar style of game , agents would use that leverage or maybe Canucks could. I don’t know. Safer splitting up the contract years.

 

Plus Pods concussion, Canucks can’t tell SKA not to play him til he’s 100%. I would rather Canucks start Pods at train camp so we know he should be 100%. Also both he and Tryamkin should come over together and start Canucks Camp. it’ll be a better environment for both of them.

Edited by HockeyHarry
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

How is his English though?

 

This is an important question after the struggles Canucks players have had in the past making Russians feel comfortable as part of the team and city as well. Hopefully Francesco has learned something from the Shirokov and certainly the Tryamkin experience.

 

The Canucks need to be a more Russian friendly team if they want to attract more top talented Russian players.

 

Will he able to assimilate to the North American culture is the biggest question along with being able to stay healthy over the course of an 82 game season playing his bulldog style game.

 

He plays a very non traditional game for a Russian player. It is a more north south  power game which is better suited on the smaller NHL ice.

 

I am intrigued by the player. I just hope the Canucks don't fail supporting him off the ice as a person. 

 

After all, despite his maturity and being widely praised for his work ethic, 2 way game, and compete level he is still just a young kid. He will be in a foreign country with strange customs and unfamiliar foods etc.

 

That transition will be as interesting to follow as the on ice one.

 

I remember watching an interview of his a while back and noticed that his English is actually quite good. Much better than I had expected. Seems to be pretty intent on knowing the language. 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Love to see Pod in a Canuck uni ASAP

 

but Canucks are done this season and people bitch about cap space so I don’t see any reason to burn a year of his Rookie entry level contract. Yes they got Hughes in to a few early games and burnt a year. now Canucks have to sign him big. It could have been pushed back a year. So Loui is gone. All I’m sayin is keep low contracts going as long as possible so Canucks can weed out the Bad contracts.

 

If Pods plays this season him and Hoglander will have to be signed at the same time which imo gives them both players leverage for higher contracts, cuz they both play a similar style of game , agents would use that leverage or maybe Canucks could. I don’t know. Safer splitting up the contract years.

 

Plus Pods concussion, Canucks can’t tell SKA not to play him til he’s 100%. I would rather Canucks start Pods at train camp so we know he should be 100%. Also both he and Tryamkin should come over together and start Canucks Camp. it’ll be a better environment for both of them.

College players are different than other prospects. If we don't sign Hughes early there is a chance, a very slim chance, he just stays in college til he is a free agent. In hindsight we can say he'd never do that, but why risk it? Also it's just good player relations to do that. We've done it with seemingly every college prospect so far. Burn a year off their ELC to get them in the organization. So I am not against doing it with Pod either, getting him acclimated sooner is a boon for us.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

How is his English though?

 

This is an important question after the struggles Canucks players have had in the past making Russians feel comfortable as part of the team and city as well. Hopefully Francesco has learned something from the Shirokov and certainly the Tryamkin experience.

 

The Canucks need to be a more Russian friendly team if they want to attract more top talented Russian players.

 

Will he able to assimilate to the North American culture is the biggest question along with being able to stay healthy over the course of an 82 game season playing his bulldog style game.

 

He plays a very non traditional game for a Russian player. It is a more north south  power game which is better suited on the smaller NHL ice.

 

I am intrigued by the player. I just hope the Canucks don't fail supporting him off the ice as a person. 

 

After all, despite his maturity and being widely praised for his work ethic, 2 way game, and compete level he is still just a young kid. He will be in a foreign country with strange customs and unfamiliar foods etc.

 

That transition will be as interesting to follow as the on ice one.

 

His English is NHL ready just like his game...

 

 

  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

His English is NHL ready just like his game...

 

 

This gets me excited! I haven't been this excited over a Russian Canucks since Nikita Tryamkin.

 

He sounds like a pro already.

 

Already thinking about what car he is gonna be driving around in with Van.

 

I see an Audi sponsorship..

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Love to see Pod in a Canuck uni ASAP

 

but Canucks are done this season and people bitch about cap space so I don’t see any reason to burn a year of his Rookie entry level contract. Yes they got Hughes in to a few early games and burnt a year. now Canucks have to sign him big. It could have been pushed back a year. So Loui is gone. All I’m sayin is keep low contracts going as long as possible so Canucks can weed out the Bad contracts.

There are some good reasons to burn that year off an ELC.

 

One, it guarantees that he is under contract, and

 

Two, it makes the player happy with the team, which is a good thing, and

 

Three, and probably most importantly, doesn't doing so eliminate the player's right to arbitration and to accept offer sheets from other teams at the end of the ELC?

 

Not needing to worry about being forced into a contract you don't like either by arbitration or by having a competitor offer sheeting your player, has a substantial amount of value to a GM.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Like 2
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

There are some good reasons to burn that year off an ELC.

 

One, it guarantees that he is under contract, and

 

Two, it makes the player happy with the team, which is a good thing, and

 

Three, and probably most importantly, doesn't doing so eliminate the player's right to arbitration and to accept offer sheets from other teams at the end of the ELC?

 

Not needing to worry about being forced into a contract you don't like either by arbitration or by having a competitor offer sheeting your player, has a substantial amount of value to a GM.

How rare are offersheets though? Feel like it is something that is an overstated threat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

How rare are offersheets though? Feel like it is something that is an overstated threat.

The threat of offer sheets actually being tendered is very low, and often overstated, however the possibility of one does strengthen a player and his agent’s negotiating position, which probably is more relevant, as to why it’s beneficial to avoid them, when it comes to burning contract years.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The threat of offer sheets actually being tendered is very low, and often overstated, however the possibility of one does strengthen a player and his agent’s negotiating position, which probably is more relevant, as to why it’s beneficial to avoid them, when it comes to burning contract years.

My fondest memories of offer sheets were David Backes and Steve Bernier situations.

 

Along with Brian Burke and Kevin Lowe.

 

They are not worth the effort and do more harm than good if you want to keep a trading relationship in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The threat of offer sheets actually being tendered is very low, and often overstated, however the possibility of one does strengthen a player and his agent’s negotiating position, which probably is more relevant, as to why it’s beneficial to avoid them, when it comes to burning contract years.

Yes. And if it is correct that arbitration rights are also eliminated by burning that year, those combined with the offer sheet rights make a really big difference in the negotiating leverages.

 

With no right to deal with other teams and no arbitration rights, the RFAs in that position don't really seem like any kind of FAs to me. More like property. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

How rare are offersheets though? Feel like it is something that is an overstated threat.

Being stuffed up to the gills with bad contracts makes teams vulnerable to offer sheets. Canucks are rotten with bad contracts - an indication is how teams went after the players we left dangling unsigned - Markstrom, Tanev, Stetcher, Tofolli - because we didn’t have cap room.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Being stuffed up to the gills with bad contracts makes teams vulnerable to offer sheets. Canucks are rotten with bad contracts - an indication is how teams went after the players we left dangling unsigned - Markstrom, Tanev, Stetcher, Tofolli - because we didn’t have cap room.

which are all gone by the time Podz would be offer sheet eligible. 

 

I do like the idea of burning a year tho to make a potential young star player an RFA without offer sheet eligibility - imagine if Hughes wasn't in that position, CDC would be crapping itself over that potential this offseason. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

which are all gone by the time Podz would be offer sheet eligible. 

 

I do like the idea of burning a year tho to make a potential young star player an RFA without offer sheet eligibility - imagine if Hughes wasn't in that position, CDC would be crapping itself over that potential this offseason. 

Yeah, burning that year from Huggy's contract probably saved the team at least a million per year on his next contract, probably more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, burning that year from Huggy's contract probably saved the team at least a million per year on his next contract, probably more.

I'm not sure on this, but isn't he UFA a year earlier too? (Depending on the length of the second contract he signs)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Googlie said:

I'm not sure on this, but isn't he UFA a year earlier too? (Depending on the length of the second contract he signs)

Sounds right, but that is half a decade away, so the team has plenty of time to prepare. Way better than being forced to pay a price you would never have offered him starting this fall.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...