The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Miller            Pettersson    Boeser

Podkolzin    Horvat            Hoglander 

Gadjovich   Jasek             Lind

Motte.         Beagle           MacEwen

That would be my preference (would mean the departure of Sutter, Pearson. Jake and Gaud, though).  If this setup would be contemplated, then in Utica for the remaining games  swap Gadjovich for Baertschi and let that trio gain some traction as a line.  Motte and Beagle already have great chemistry together.  And coming thru the system would be Focht, Costmar and my man, Linus, at Center and Lockwood, McDonough, etc on the wings

I'm hoping we can trade for (Jake and Gaud?) or sign a legit 3C. I want to see Jasek starting on Beagle's W and swapping in on draws (similar to Lind on 3RW for now).

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Hoglander, Horvat, Podkolzin

???, 3C, Lind

Motte, Beagle, Jasek/Mac

From there... Maybe Podz starts on the 3rd line if one of Gaudette/Virtanen are still here or we have a space open there for one of the myriad of W'er prospects to snag. Or maybe we bring back Pearson on a cheaper deal, sign another guy, make a trade etc...

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

With Lind and Gadjovich (and Jasek) playing out of this world right now, it's going to be a tough fight for Podz to get in next season, he might have to earn his keep in Utica first.

I think Pearson and Sutter are becoming more and more expendable with Utica's kids top play, but we still need to trade for a young forward, ideally a center, to replace Sutter/Beagle's center minutes when they move on.

On wing next training camp will be interesting to Pearson becomes more and more expendable, especially if JB is looking to trade Virtanen for a decent winger like Heinen too. I think we've got to find a way to move Roussel and Pearson this off-season because some of these kids deserve more of a chance and could give us some much needed skill and speed in our middle-6.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - ?

? - Sutter - ?

? - Beagle - Motte

Horvat obviously deserves a decent two-way winger who can play defensively well against top team's lines. I think that job's better for an experienced winger, say whoever Virtanen can bring us (hoping for Heinen/someone similar).

Sutter's wingers could be shutdown-type wingers, but seeing how well they're playing now offensively, speed might really help and Sutter still has some good hands. I think Podkolzin would do well playing 10-15 minutes a night to start here and see how he goes - if he brings the energy Hoglander has then he sticks, if he's losing puck battles or slow/behind the play then he goes to Utica.

I think Gadjovich is perfectly suited for the 4th line winger role, playing alongside two of the hardest working players in the NHL, he could learn a lot and bring some speed and physicality to the line, and may even cash in offensively with Motte.

That other spot alongside Sutter could go to anyone, Gaudette/Virtanen if he's still here/Jasek/MacEwan, take your pick.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

With Lind and Gadjovich (and Jasek) playing out of this world right now, it's going to be a tough fight for Podz to get in next season, he might have to earn his keep in Utica first.

I think Pearson and Sutter are becoming more and more expendable with Utica's kids top play, but we still need to trade for a young forward, ideally a center, to replace Sutter/Beagle's center minutes when they move on.

On wing next training camp will be interesting to Pearson becomes more and more expendable, especially if JB is looking to trade Virtanen for a decent winger like Heinen too. I think we've got to find a way to move Roussel and Pearson this off-season because some of these kids deserve more of a chance and could give us some much needed skill and speed in our middle-6.

Hoglander - Horvat - ?

? - Sutter - ?

? - Beagle - Motte

Horvat obviously deserves a decent two-way winger who can play defensively well against top team's lines. I think that job's better for an experienced winger, say whoever Virtanen can bring us (hoping for Heinen/someone similar).

Sutter's wingers could be shutdown-type wingers, but seeing how well they're playing now offensively, speed might really help and Sutter still has some good hands. I think Podkolzin would do well playing 10-15 minutes a night to start here and see how he goes - if he brings the energy Hoglander has then he sticks, if he's losing puck battles or slow/behind the play then he goes to Utica.

I think Gadjovich is perfectly suited for the 4th line winger role, playing alongside two of the hardest working players in the NHL, he could learn a lot and bring some speed and physicality to the line, and may even cash in offensively with Motte.

That other spot alongside Sutter could go to anyone, Gaudette/Virtanen if he's still here/Jasek/MacEwan, take your pick.

Very good arguments to make. I do think Podkolzin is likely a step ahead of both Lind and Gadjovich...Podkolzin has a step on Gadjovich based on skating and ability to be far more versatile on the wings, and Podkolzin has a much more refined two way game over Lind and Gadjovich.

I do think Lind and Gadjovich will be able to give a push next training camp, but I think they are just starting to figure it out their own identity as a player where I think Podkolzin has already firmly established his two way game. 

I could be wrong too, but I think Podkolzin already has the tools and toolbox to play a third and fourth line role on either the PP and PK units, while I still think Lind and Gadjovich still need to show more in their complete game, where they are just coming into their own as players. They are starting to develop their toolbox and the tools assembling it together. Podkolzin's high floor allows him to be useable now as a player.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I'm hoping we can trade for (Jake and Gaud?) or sign a legit 3C. I want to see Jasek starting on Beagle's W and swapping in on draws (similar to Lind on 3RW for now).

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Hoglander, Horvat, Podkolzin

???, 3C, Lind

Motte, Beagle, Jasek/Mac

From there... Maybe Podz starts on the 3rd line if one of Gaudette/Virtanen are still here or we have a space open there for one of the myriad of W'er prospects to snag. Or maybe we bring back Pearson on a cheaper deal, sign another guy, make a trade etc...

I was hoping to trade Jake and Gaud as well

Only problem is,  they have 3 meagre points between them..?

The two of them are not 'legit right now,

42 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I was hoping to trade Jake and Gaud as well

Only problem is,  they have 3 meagre points between them..?

The two of them are not 'legit right now,

Yeah, that's definitely a problem. Wish Jim had taken my advice in the offseason and traded them for Tierney :lol:

Edited by aGENT

On 3/2/2021 at 3:54 PM, Kenny Blankenship said:

I think Pod gets the longer leash between the two, but it’s so nice to see Gadjovich with the good start in Utica. Great to have some quality size and skill in the pipelines, this team needs it bad. Wish we had a little more nasty in our current lineup. 

He might be a useful replacement for the unproductive, undisciplined Roussel. Third line scoring touch, muscle, net front presence. 

43 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

He might be a useful replacement for the unproductive, undisciplined Roussel. Third line scoring touch, muscle, net front presence. 

Used to be a fan of Rooster but he’s just not effective anymore. Seems to have a hard time staying with the play, not as much jump as he used to have. Takes penalties as a result. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Used to be a fan of Rooster but he’s just not effective anymore. Seems to have a hard time staying with the play, not as much jump as he used to have. Takes penalties as a result. 

Ever since his concussion he suffered here in VAN he won't fight. Only talks and as a result does stupid things cause he won't fight. Its a shame really, his first year in VAN he had a career high in points and looked great. He also had that nasty knee injury which is why I think he's lost a step. Ultimately you see guys play the same way Roussel does and they don't last after 30. Their bodies are done. Roussel is 31.

13 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hoglander - Horvat - ?

? - Sutter - ?

? - Beagle - Motte

There is always trades/signings but my team next year would look something like this 

Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser

Miller-Horvat-Podkolzin (Good lord do I ever want this to be a line)

_________-__________-Lind

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Hughes-Tryamkin

Rathbone-Schmidt 

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby (Seattle doesn't take him)

It is really the 3rd line that needs to be reconstructed. Roussel needs to go, Sutter is a UFA and should go. Gaudette looks like he'll never score again. So it is really tough to tell what it's going to look like. Maybe they can trade Pearson to TOR for something nice and then sign him back as a UFA on a two or three year deal.

I also think Lucas Jasek is close to playing. It is to be determined if he can step in, play 3rd line centre and produce offence. Also another guy that could potentially make the team is our college LW Aiden Mcdonough he's 6'3 and can score. He will have played two years at northeastern and will be basically 22 when the season starts. No way they'll have 3 rookies on the third line together but just pointing out possible prospects that will push for spots. 

At some point the Canucks are going to have to give these guys some games. Once we are out or close to out of the playoffs they should call up Lind, Rathbone, Jasek for some NHL games and send Eriksson to Utica

50 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

There is always trades/signings but my team next year would look something like this 

Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser

Miller-Horvat-Podkolzin (Good lord do I ever want this to be a line)

_________-__________-Lind

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Hughes-Tryamkin

Rathbone-Schmidt 

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby (Seattle doesn't take him)

It is really the 3rd line that needs to be reconstructed. Roussel needs to go, Sutter is a UFA and should go. Gaudette looks like he'll never score again. So it is really tough to tell what it's going to look like. Maybe they can trade Pearson to TOR for something nice and then sign him back as a UFA on a two or three year deal.

I also think Lucas Jasek is close to playing. It is to be determined if he can step in, play 3rd line centre and produce offence. Also another guy that could potentially make the team is our college LW Aiden Mcdonough he's 6'3 and can score. He will have played two years at northeastern and will be basically 22 when the season starts. No way they'll have 3 rookies on the third line together but just pointing out possible prospects that will push for spots. 

At some point the Canucks are going to have to give these guys some games. Once we are out or close to out of the playoffs they should call up Lind, Rathbone, Jasek for some NHL games and send Eriksson to Utica

Aidan guy needs cooking time in the AHL first tbh. I think hes still pretty far away from playing in the NHL. I would get Jasek a chance though! Lind, and Gadj will also be knocking on the door. 

16 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hoglander - Horvat - ?

? - Sutter - ?

? - Beagle - Motte

Pearson is a UFA, I doubt he's back. Ideally we retain Sutter and move on from Rousell and or Beagle. I like Beags but Sutter brings more and if re-signed it should be half of what beags makes. I just can't see Jake or AG as bottom six players and at least on our team not viable top six guys.

Whatever happens, the bottom six needs a big overhaul next year.

3 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Pearson is a UFA, I doubt he's back. Ideally we retain Sutter and move on from Rousell and or Beagle. I like Beags but Sutter brings more and if re-signed it should be half of what beags makes. I just can't see Jake or AG as bottom six players and at least on our team not viable top six guys.

Whatever happens, the bottom six needs a big overhaul next year.

Motte is the heart and soul of our B6, just having him back could be enough. No need for an overhaul.

-re sign Sutter

-let play Hawryluk

-add Lockwood

-Dont give up on Gaudette yet.

let Virtanen and Roussel go, dunno about Beagle.

Edited by deus.ex.makina
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Great to hear that Podz is doing well after his concussion!

Absolutely. This kid has decent skills and the heart of a lion. He was probably ready  to jump back on the ice about 10 minutes after he got hit, before he could even stand up by himself. Can't wait to see him in Vancouver.

• Like 1