The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

18 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

he did not just muscle through his stick, the goalie failed to follow the puck and instead just made an all out kick save, that was a below average nhl attempt by the goalie.

The reason opinions are worth so little, is the law of supply and demand, and everybody has an opinion... lots of them, in fact.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HockeyHarry said:

He’s getting it done.

hes such an ugly skater and stick handler but it doesn’t seem too slow him down. I’m sure he’ll improve both those skills as he matures as a Canuck. The Kids a Tank. Can Not wait til the day he’s wearing a Canucks Jersey.

horvat and kesler both did, someone needs to work on this kids faceoffs and turn him into a center.

3 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

The reason opinions are worth so little, is the law of supply and demand, and everybody has an opinion... lots of them, in fact.

if reasoning isn't worth very much, unrealistic expectations are worth even less.

there was more things wrong with this play than just the goalie's performance. In the NHL 9/10 that turnover doesn't materialize into a goal in the nhl.The defender jumped into the forecheck, and didn't come up with the puck. what makes that play so bad was that there was already 3 blue behind the puck when he decides to jump in. the forward that comes back to help's big defensive play was  a stick lift (what was the point of it?), that left him flat footed as the last man back. 

like I said Podz did everything great, but he got gifted that perfect oppurtunity. still doesn't impress me

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

if reasoning isn't worth very much, unrealistic expectations are worth even less.

there was more things wrong with this play than just the goalie's performance. In the NHL 9/10 that turnover doesn't materialize into a goal in the nhl.The defender jumped into the forecheck, and didn't come up with the puck. what makes that play so bad was that there was already 3 blue behind the puck when he decides to jump in. the forward that comes back to help's big defensive play was  a stick lift (what was the point of it?), that left him flat footed as the last man back. 

like I said Podz did everything great, but he got gifted that perfect oppurtunity. still doesn't impress me

You have some valid points but hey... The KHL is only the next tier down from the NHL.  So with your rational, do any of the goals scored in the lesser leagues impress you?  I mean, lets face it, at least 90% of the goalies outside of the NHL are in fact not NHL calibre.  So what goals scored in lesser leagues would impress you?

I believe what matters is... Regardless on how the puck went into the net, the impressive part and NHL calibre quality, is the strength, determination and second effort he displays on that goal.  THAT was impressive NHL or otherwise.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Okay... So I've been waiting to get a Podz jersey... I'm running out of patience (also... Kinda wanna be the first!!!)  Should I just take a chance and go with #92?  Silly question I know, just so pumped to get this kids jersey!  

He wears #19 when representing Russia, but ofc he can't wear that here.  #19 was already taken when he made St Pete's, and Linden Vey had taken the reverse, #91, so Podz went with #92.  My guess is that he will stick with #92 when he comes here.  No canuck has ever worn 92, so he would be starting a new tradition

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

That’s a joke, you’re saying errors don’t happen in the NHL? Virtually every goal arises out of a cluster of errors - even in the NHL. Good players, in any league, are the one’s that make you pay for your mistakes - strangely enough, exactly what Podkolzin did. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Googlie said:

He wears #19 when representing Russia, but ofc he can't wear that here.  #19 was already taken when he made St Pete's, and Linden Vey had taken the reverse, #91, so Podz went with #92.  My guess is that he will stick with #92 when he comes here.  No canuck has ever worn 92, so he would be starting a new tradition

Ahhh okay, didn't know he'd worn #91 as well.  Thanks for info.

31 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

You have some valid points but hey... The KHL is only the next tier down from the NHL.  So with your rational, do any of the goals scored in the lesser leagues impress you?  I mean, lets face it, at least 90% of the goalies outside of the NHL are in fact not NHL calibre.  So what goals scored in lesser leagues would impress you?

I believe what matters is... Regardless on how the puck went into the net, the impressive part and NHL calibre quality, is the strength, determination and second effort he displays on that goal.  THAT was impressive NHL or otherwise.

Podz did great, from start to finish of the play.

But don't get me wrong, I love Podkolzin. My favorite player type is the defensive minded forward that has skill. IMO these type's of players are undervalued by GM's and produce more wins than offensive minded forwards paid similarily. 95% of the time played is away from the puck, and from what i've seen from Podkolzin is the best winger weve seen in this department for  decade's. His play away from the puck is what imprsesses me not his offensive prowess.

Jere Lehtinen 2.0

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

Podz did great, from start to finish of the play.

But don't get me wrong, I love Podkolzin. My favorite player type is the defensive minded forward that has skill. IMO these type's of players are undervalued by GM's and produce more wins than offensive minded forwards paid similarily. 95% of the time played is away from the puck, and from what i've seen from Podkolzin is the best winger weve seen in this department for  decade's. His play away from the puck is what imprsesses me not his offensive prowess.

Jere Lehtinen 2.0

People forget how hard Lehtinen was on the puck. I like him as a comparable for Podz.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

People forget how hard Lehtinen was on the puck. I like him as a comparable for Podz.

look at the list of selke winning player's. the large majority of them have won  a cup, and other's have at least got thier team to the stanley cup finals.

even if Podz turns out to be as offensive as bob gainey, but is a top 3 player away from the puck, I would be Ecstatic.

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

I personally expect Vasily to wear # 91 with Canucks.

On a different note Googlie, may I make a friendly suggestion to you? I notice that you constantly use St Pete's as nickname for Saint Petersburg, that does not look right. Vast majority of Russians use Peter as nickname for this city. You could probably call it St Peter if you wish :towel:

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

I personally expect Vasily to wear # 91 with Canucks.

On a different note Googlie, may I make a friendly suggestion to you? I notice that you constantly use St Pete's as nickname for Saint Petersburg, that does not look right. Vast majority of Russians use Peter as nickname for this city. You could probably call it St Peter if you wish :towel:

Thanks for the heads up.  I visited there a few years ago with my godson and his mother (from Ekaterinburg) for a few days and hired a student tour guide with a car to show us around. He constantly said "St Pete's" when he was speaking English to me so I assumed that was just a transliterstion and have used it ever since.  Now I know better!!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I visited there a few years ago with my godson and his mother (from Ekaterinburg) for a few days and hired a student tour guide with a car to show us around. He constantly said "St Pete's" when he was speaking English to me so I assumed that was just a transliterstion and have used it ever since.  Now I know better!!

Edited by wildcam