The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

He's a slam dunk core piece for sure... Been saying that from when we drafted him.  He's hasn't disappointed and I don't think his character or effort ever will. 

The only concern I have with Podz is his health.  He's taken a beating this year... Especially during these playoffs.  Just how he plays and opposition targeting him because of his effectiveness.  He needs to protect himself better... I just hope he's getting the right treatments and medical care post game.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Dude earns everything he gets, and can produce and contribute on and off the scoreboard whether he gets legitimate opportunities or not. Can't wait to see him come west and be given more rope to work with. We could really use another player of his ilk. 

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I keep reading people 'concerned about Podkolzin and his ability and production'...

:lol:

If you watch the videos of this kid you see that his skating is a bit awkward. His stride is by no ways a thing of beauty. He reminds me a bit of Petey when you watch him. Skating wise. Not always in full control.

His speed is fine. His edging and mobility seems good. Some how he blasts through a group of players looking like he has lost control of the puck but comes out on the other side with it on his stick. He has surprisingly soft hands and manages very well in tight spaces.

This kid goes to the front of the net with zero hestitation.

• Vintage 1

Just now, appleboy said:

If you watch the videos of this kid you see that his skating is a bit awkward. His stride is by no ways a thing of beauty. He reminds me a bit of Petey when you watch him. Skating wise. Not always in full control.

His speed is fine. His edging and mobility seems good. Some how he blasts through a group of players looking like he has lost control of the puck but comes out on the other side with it on his stick. He has surprisingly soft hands and manages very well in tight spaces.

This kid goes to the front of the net with zero hesitation.

Interesting to note that Podkolzin played on 3rd line with Linden Vey and Malte Stromwall in this game. All three forwards scored, this was the only line for SKA to get goals. They played together several games occasionally during 2021 playoffs.

trio.jpg

podz.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

He's a slam dunk core piece for sure... Been saying that from when we drafted him.  He's hasn't disappointed and I don't think his character or effort ever will. 

The only concern I have with Podz is his health.  He's taken a beating this year... Especially during these playoffs.  Just how he plays and opposition targeting him because of his effectiveness.  He needs to protect himself better... I just hope he's getting the right treatments and medical care post game.

I was so pumped when he fell to us. I think the fact we had some really good prospects debuting before and after him allowed the team to draft him knowing it would be 3 seasons before we saw him.

What makes it even better is the fact not one prospect taken before him has come in and had a season that made the wait even harder for us.

Only Dach had a somewhat decent rookie season but even that wasn't mind blowing. Zegras has looked decent with the Ducks but Podz is the exact type of player this team needs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Oh man, some kid named Brock Faber was like 20th and then I see Podz way the hell down near the bottom and I was thinking how the hell was this list put together? And I like Button.

Remember Button had Virtanen going in the second round maybe he new some thing  :)

11 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So based on SKA coaching history, this will guarantee Podkolzin sits next game? 

10 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Amazing what happens with more the 4 minutes of ice time.

I wonder if his coach will ever notice the correlation between Podz being on the ice and good things happening for the team? 

11 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

that's* odd cause buttons been crazy about him even before we drafted him.

Don’t know what his availability is like for this market but I, for one, am waiting eagerly for an explanation/rationale from Button to account for VPod’s considerable drop in the rankings.

Edited by zimmy

5 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Remember Button had Virtanen going in the second round maybe he new some thing  :)

Like I said I like Button and he was bang on about Jake. Before these rankings he has always been high on Podz, that's why him ranking him so low was odd. Based on the league Podz plays in, the fact hes still 19 and based on other prospects that Button had Podz ranked round before, the fact that he dropped him seemed odd, the fact that he dropped him so far is even more odd. Having Broberg rise to 8th and dropping Podz to 50th just makes no sense. Oh well it's just an opinion and you know what they say about those.

• Cheers 2