The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Hog/BoHo/Pod could potentially be an absolutely relentless forecheck/backchecking line.  Those three motors on the same line would likely never be outworked on any shift.  Could be a nightmare for opposing defenceman pairings. 

I agree that line would give most other teams nightmares from the relentlessness but I think I'd would like to see the lines as 

Miller - Pettersson - Podkolzin 

Höglander - Horvat - Boeser 

With the obvious ability to move any player up or down. I like this combo a little better tho as it just seems to have a bit more balance. Both lines have 2 player capable of forechecking hard and playing heavy down low as well as backchecking. And this way both lines have 2 elite finishers to go with that forecheck as well as high end passers to get them the pucks.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I don't think his production is going to be much of issye when he comes over.  I would have been happy with 30 points and tenacious play from him next season.  I couls see him putting up 45-50 now that we see what he can do with solid ice time

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

I don't think his production is going to be much of issye when he comes over.  I would have been happy with 30 points and tenacious play from him next season.  I couls see him putting up 45-50 now that we see what he can do with solid ice time

Honestly I was very critical of him in his early days as one of our prospects but I can see why he was valued as a high pick. I can see what he provides whether that's on the scoreboard or not, (not so) coincidentally it's what were lacking. 

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

I agree that line would give most other teams nightmares from the relentlessness but I think I'd would like to see the lines as 

Miller - Pettersson - Podkolzin 

Höglander - Horvat - Boeser 

With the obvious ability to move any player up or down. I like this combo a little better tho as it just seems to have a bit more balance. Both lines have 2 player capable of forechecking hard and playing heavy down low as well as backchecking. And this way both lines have 2 elite finishers to go with that forecheck as well as high end passers to get them the pucks.

Hoglander Horvat       Pearson

Motte        Miller          Boeser

Podkolzin Pettersson  Virtanen

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, BCNate said:

30 points would be great but that might be a bit of a reach as well.  

Green will probably deploy him on the 3rd or 4th line and give him some PK time as well.  I don't think that Podkolzin should be judged on his points anyways.  

35 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Green will probably deploy him on the 3rd or 4th line and give him some PK time as well.  I don't think that Podkolzin should be judged on his points anyways.  

I agree that points won't be the ultimate metric for Podkolzin to be judged on, but I do think he will put up reasonable points next year.  I see him in a top 6 role, along the same line as what Hoglander has seen this year.  Put Podkolzin in our top 6 and I don't think 40-50 points is unreachable.  

12 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Hog/BoHo/Pod could potentially be an absolutely relentless forecheck/backchecking line.  Those three motors on the same line would likely never be outworked on any shift.  Could be a nightmare for opposing defenceman pairings. 

Yes this line would be crazy. 

• Cheers 1

On 4/18/2021 at 7:52 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Got to give cudos to Benning for that, it would have been easy to make a safer pick.

This reminds me a bit of of Pat Quinn snagging Pavel Bure. Bit of a different circumstance but same in the fact that no one knew Bure was going to be truly available.

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

This reminds me a bit of of Pat Quinn snagging Pavel Bure. Bit of a different circumstance but same in the fact that no one knew Bure was going to be truly available.

Sorry grandmaster but beyond the fact that they are both Russian that's where comparison stops.  Podz, though it remains to be seen, may have been taken later in the draft then he should have been.  Regardless, there was lots of tape on him, and lots if exposure to nhl scouts. 

Whereas due to the secrecy surrounding the inner workings of USSR at that time... in any capacity let alone their national treasured Red Army team.  Nhl teams had very little data/info to work with when it came to russian players.... And if they did actually decide to take a chance on one of them, odds of that player defecting was still really low at that time... But man, it was sooo exciting when we found our Quinn had gotten Bure to come over!  

Podz has a chance to one day be considered top 2-3 best taken in that draft.  And may very well go down as one of our best, if not the best power forward this team has ever had, but still... I don't think we can compare these two players... Much different paths to get here, playing styles and two totally different worlds from which they came.

11 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He'll take a penalty 1st shift being a tad aggressive, oppo will score, and Green will bench him for the rest of the game.  Then he'll watch the next 16 games from the press box.  "Tough love", Green will call it .... " That's how we brought Jake along"

• Haha 1

Petey- Miller- Boeser --- offensive line that can be one of the hardest to shut down, especially at home. Can easily net 80 goals per season and hopefully 100 goals

Poldkozin - Horvat- Hoglander --- can be a solid shut down line that matches up against the other teams top line. Poldkozin if he can be physical and give it a 100% each day, he could be a 20 goal scorer, power forward , that plays wing with a future Selke candidate, and a shifty winger who tbh can net 25 goals in the future and make room for everyone else on the ice by being shifty.

Pearson ____  ____

____ ____ Motte

Need a shutdown center that can match up against top lines too as it gives the other team hell during away games. Can play the penalty kill and potentially be a threat on the powerplay as the 2nd PP 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Petey- Miller- Boeser --- offensive line that can be one of the hardest to shut down, especially at home. Can easily net 80 goals per season and hopefully 100 goals

Poldkozin - Horvat- Hoglander --- can be a solid shut down line that matches up against the other teams top line. Poldkozin if he can be physical and give it a 100% each day, he could be a 20 goal scorer, power forward , that plays wing with a future Selke candidate, and a shifty winger who tbh can net 25 goals in the future and make room for everyone else on the ice by being shifty.

Pearson ____  ____

____ ____ Motte

Need a shutdown center that can match up against top lines too as it gives the other team hell during away games. Can play the penalty kill and potentially be a threat on the powerplay as the 2nd PP 

The main problem I have putting him with Bo and Hog is that Pod, aside from being relentless in his puck pursuit, is already an elite playmaker/passer and on that line Bo is the only high end shooter so it kind of limits who is going to be finishing plays. Pod is a decent shooter but nowhere near the caliber of Boes, Bo, Petey or JT

Edited by 204CanucksFan