The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

With me it's love at first sight, the sky's the limit, until disappointment and let downs start happening. I started off in these boards being a huge Sanguinetti fan, then Sbisa and Vey, and, yes, even Pouliot. (To my credit, I never did get enamoured about Megna or Chaput) but I still think poor Loui gets a bum rap on these boards

Your still a pup.:P

14 hours ago, Googlie said:

Yeah. - I'm a midlife convert to hockey.  Came over to Canada from the UK in 77, to Toronto, and got caught up in the 1978 hype of Salming's eye injury, Turnbull's emergence as a bona-fide defense stud, the MacDonald - Sittler - Williams magic etc.  After coming here in 82 it took a couple of years to cleanse the maple leaf from off my sweater before I fully embraced the Sundstroms, Tantis and Skrikos of the west coast

So while I consider myself an "Old Timer", not in hockey years

I was a Habs fan thru the 50s and 60s but was beyond excited when the NHL finally let Vancouver in. No 24/7 hockey back then so I had to listen to Canuck games on radio. Boudrias was a Montreal cast off but played some great hockey for the Canucks. 

The Laffers never rated with me as they were never in it. Important only to themselves just like today. That said I always enjoyed  Howie. 

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The Laffers never rated with me as they were never in it. Important only to themselves just like today. That said I always enjoyed  Howie. 

Used to watch the Laughers back in the early 60's with my dad. Still can see Eddie Shack showboating after scoring a goal lol.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Cheers 1

On 4/28/2021 at 11:01 AM, Googlie said:

Yeah. - I'm a midlife convert to hockey.  Came over to Canada from the UK in 77, to Toronto, and got caught up in the 1978 hype of Salming's eye injury, Turnbull's emergence as a bona-fide defense stud, the MacDonald - Sittler - Williams magic etc.  After coming here in 82 it took a couple of years to cleanse the maple leaf from off my sweater before I fully embraced the Sundstroms, Tantis and Skrikos of the west coast

So while I consider myself an "Old Timer", not in hockey years

Explains a lot, I have been wondering about the cricket reference in your title.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Used to watch the Laughers back in the early 60's with my dad. Still can see Eddie Shack showboating after scoring a goal lol.

Eddie Shack flying down the ice and doing his pirouette! Sight to see. You always knew he loved the game. Always laughing and smiling.

• Cheers 2

In two practices with the national team in Switzerland Podkolzin played on the line with Morozov and Galimov.

Avangard from Omsk won Gagarin Cup for the first time with total score of 4-2. Interesting to note that 5 forwards from another finalist CSKA are called up to the national team for the last EuroTour tournament in Czech Rep. but no one from the Cup winner Avangard. The invited players are required to join the national team in training camp on May 3, more cuts from the current roster in Switzerland are coming soon.

avangard.jpg

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

6 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Geeez Bouds!  You’ve got some rings on your stump!

at 5 yrs (67) I crossed the Atlantic out of Liverpool with my Folks.. dad a coal miner, mum a big band singer.  My “ coal miner and the canary”..   we crashed through the ice down the St Lawrence that April to land in Quebec City. The next morning , those shiny steel rails had as bound for the west coast,. Mountains looked like Cathedrals, Tree tops Vanished into the he sky, and snow flakes the size of my fists fell from the Sky.

Canada...  seemed like my Disneyland,.  Still does.

Keon Plante Armstrong Salming Ullman Sittler,

Orr Esposito Cheevers Gump Worlsley, love that name.  Lafleur Big M Savard spin o Rama’s Dryden, Clarke and prairie dirt. 
Team Canada, Tretchyack Karlamovs Yakushev and the Wall Falls.

Oh, and the Canucks got a team, again ;) 

Shmautz Boudrias, Sandersons fur jackets rail line jitters and AA moves,

Odlefson, Quinn, Lever.. Smyl Snepts Gino     Lindens ribs and eyes,.   Bure - I’m still shaking my head at the evolution he brought. I’m still saying oh my god.    We owned NY,.  And New York knows it..  Ronning choked with a broken wrist, Mike Peca saw it from the press box, and God Saved America again.

but Canada,  is still my Disneyland.

Grateful.    Wouldn’t want to be in any other Country, or place in the world.

Tell you a quick story Sam. I grew up with a kid who was a very good goal tender in his day. Played for BCIT in the early '70's. I think if he had gone the USA college route he might have been a pro. Thing is I think he thought the same way. Life happens, he married and had a career in the BC Conservation Service. Anyway he is playing rec hockey in Kimberley and the NHL Oldtimers team comes to town and they needed a local team team to play against. My buddy gets tagged to play goal and he is pumped as he gets to play against his childhood idols. Of course, deep down, he thinks he can shine. He is laughing as he tells me this story. All these old guys as his opposition, their goofing around. He says the first shift of the game Normie Ullman comes down the left side and wrists a shot into the top corner on his right side without blinking. My buddy wouldn't say what the final score was but did say the Oldtimers took it easy on them. He said the best part of the evening was having a few beers with the Oldtimers in the dressing room. He said the Pocket Rocket was on that team and was a class act. 

By the way I only have 3 years on you! :)  

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Tell you a quick story Sam. I grew up with a kid who was a very good goal tender in his day. Played for BCIT in the early '70's. I think if he had gone the USA college route he might have been a pro. Thing is I think he thought the same way. Life happens, he married and had a career in the BC Conservation Service. Anyway he is playing rec hockey in Kimberley and the NHL Oldtimers team comes to town and they needed a local team team to play against. My buddy gets tagged to play goal and he is pumped as he gets to play against his childhood idols. Of course, deep down, he thinks he can shine. He is laughing as he tells me this story. All these old guys as his opposition, their goofing around. He says the first shift of the game Normie Ullman comes down the left side and wrists a shot into the top corner on his right side without blinking. My buddy wouldn't say what the final score was but did say the Oldtimers took it easy on them. He said the best part of the evening was having a few beers with the Oldtimers in the dressing room. He said the Pocket Rocket was on that team and was a class act. 

By the way I only have 3 years on you! :)  

That’s a great story Bouds,  yes, Norm Ullman, how could I forget.. especially with that name.

Age amongst good friends is only recognized in the character of their laughter, and the next story that follows. :) 

• Cheers 2

Pfffft -  whippersnappers 

Was taken to my first live hockey game by my big sister maybe '51 or '52.  Fife Flyers.  Team was 90% Canadian ex- servicemen who stayed on in Scotland after the war,  either married a Scots lass or thought that job opportunities were better there.  Never saw another live game until 78 which was a Leafs - Habs game (I think I have told this story before ... had my English fiancee over and we had 2 of the 4 Company tickets (4th row, center ice above the team benches).  Leafs got a PP, and the whole crowd started the chant - except my g/f, whose English accent could clearly be heard yelling "Ho, Heave Ho".  Next to me were the Corporate Secretary and his wife, and he turns to me and asks "Is she with you?"  I never lived that down!!

Little bIt of trivia ........

Fife Flyers Ice Hockey Club is the oldest professional ice hockey club in the UK, established in 1938. The Flyers play their home games at Fife Ice Arena in Kirkcaldy which has a capacity of just over 3000 (seated and standing). The arena is home to not only Fife Flyers, who play in the Elite Ice Hockey League but also to Kirkcaldy Junior Ice Hockey Club. Traditionally many of the Flyers' players have come up through the junior ranks to play at a professional level.

Edited by Googlie
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Was taken to my first live hockey game by my big sister maybe '51 or '52.  Fife Flyers.  Team was 90% Canadian ex- servicemen who stayed on in Scotland after the war,  either married a Scots lass or thought that job opportunities were better there.  Never saw another live game until 78 which was a Leafs - Habs game (I think I have told this story before ... had my English fiancee over and we had 2 of the 4 Company tickets (4th row, center ice above the team benches).  Leafs got a PP, and the whole crowd started the chant - except my g/f, whose English accent could clearly be heard yelling "Ho, Heave Ho".  Next to me were the Corporate Secretary and his wife, and he turns to me and asks "Is she with you?"  I never lived that down!!

Fife Flyers Ice Hockey Club is the oldest professional ice hockey club in the UK, established in 1938. The Flyers play their home games at Fife Ice Arena in Kirkcaldy which has a capacity of just over 3000 (seated and standing). The arena is home to not only Fife Flyers, who play in the Elite Ice Hockey League but also to Kirkcaldy Junior Ice Hockey Club. Traditionally many of the Flyers' players have come up through the junior ranks to play at a professional level.

That’s awesome G,

How do we get a Jersey for the Fife Flyers !?

:) 

image.png.3fde2fc1f9585789f4f5de3b046fffb5.png

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Googlie said:

You guys remind me of the Monty Python skit "live at the Hollywood Bowl".... Classic!
Long read but worth it!

Aye.  In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup
    o' tea.
GC: A cup ' COLD tea.
EI: Without milk or sugar.
TG: OR tea!
MP: In a filthy, cracked cup.
EI: We never used to have a cup.  We used to have to drink out of a
    rolled up newspaper.
GC: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.
TG: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.
MP: Aye.  BECAUSE we were poor.  My old Dad used to say to me, "Money
    doesn't buy you happiness."
EI: 'E was right.  I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'.  We used to
    live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.
GC: House?  You were lucky to have a HOUSE!  We used to live in one
    room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture.  Half the
    floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for
    fear of FALLING!
TG: You were lucky to have a ROOM!  *We* used to have to live in a
    corridor!
MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor!  Woulda' been a
    palace to us.  We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish
    tip.  We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting
    fish dumped all over us!  House!?  Hmph.
EI: Well when I say "house" it was only a hole in the ground covered
    by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US.
GC: We were evicted from *our* hole in the ground; we had to go and
    live in a lake!
TG: You were lucky to have a LAKE!  There were a hundred and sixty
    of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.
MP: Cardboard box?
TG: Aye.
MP: You were lucky.  We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in
    a septic tank.  We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the
    morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down
    mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out.  When we got home,
    out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!
GC: Luxury.  We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in
    the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to
    work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad
    would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we
    were LUCKY!
TG: Well we had it tough.  We used to have to get up out of the shoebox
    at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues.
    We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four
    hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we
    got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.
EI: Right.  I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night,
    half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), eat a lump
    of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill
    owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home,
    our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves
    singing "Hallelujah."
MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't
    believe ya'.
ALL: Nope, nope..
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Googlie said:

I just randomly came upon your post.

I've actually been to a flyers game. My brother lives in Kirkcaldy. 

A few years after I we t to the game I was at work here in Norway (I run a sportsbar/restaurant) when a few guys came in to watch hockey. We started talking, and it came to be that they played for the flyers. Small world. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, NucksinNorway said:

I just randomly came upon your post.

I've actually been to a flyers game. My brother lives in Kirkcaldy. 

A few years after I we t to the game I was at work here in Norway (I run a sportsbar/restaurant) when a few guys came in to watch hockey. We started talking, and it came to be that they played for the flyers. Small world. 

Awesome!!

I was brought up in East Wemyss, Kirkcaldy was our nearest big town (Leven was closer, but a lot smaller).  Lots of fond memories of the old linoleum town!

We can now reveal the senior Russian national team's line-up to take on Switzerland in the first of two 2020/2021 Euro Hockey Challenge matches planned between the nations:

Fedotov (Bocharov);

Yakovlev, A. Marchenko - Safonov, Kraskovsky, Korshkov;
Dronov, Ozhiganov - K. Marchenko, Morozov, Podkolzin;
Rafikov, Lyamkin - Bardakov, Kukshtel, Galimov;
Naumenkov - Shvets-Rogovoi, Kamenev, Timkin, Moiseyev.

Puck-drop is scheduled for 18:45 Moscow time.

image.png