Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Hoffman is too expensive, not sure we have the cap for that and Appleton will probably re-sign in Winnipeg. Although if we had cap space this offseason I like your idea. Still I would go after a better player than Hoffman like one of Tampa Bays forward that could be had for cheap via trade. If money wasnt an issue, a trade for Palat, Johnsson, Killorn or Gourde would be great. Imagine Palat next to Pettersson. But unfortunately we dont have much space until next offseason when we can unload Erikssons corpse and get rid of Luongos ghost.

Do what Ottawa did last year and help Tampa clear some cap for cheap in exchange for taking on some of our LTIR.

 

Ferland for Palat?

 

Palat, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Podkolzin

Hoglander, Miller, Lind?

Highmore, Graovac/Jasek, Motte

 

Then maybe target Jenner in '22 offseason and move Miller back up the lineup.

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Everybody is placing such high hopes on this kid. I still think it's wise to temper expectations before we all assume he'll reach most of his potential the moment he steps on the ice for us. 

 

We can dream he's going to have an engine like Motte and Hoglander and hands like Petey on a consistent basis but I think it's gonna take time for him. 

I fear because everybody is banking on this player that he's going to be the whipping boy the moment it doesn't pan out the way they had imagined. 

The kid will be good but I anticipate he'll need a few years. He has the potential to be a stud player but management has been talking this kid up for the entirety of this past year to the point of where most of the fan base is expecting him to come out and put up over 50 points and be an elite forechecker in his first season. Super tough goal to meet for a rookie. 

While I agree that we should somewhat temper expectations I think most fans would be happy with a rookie season where Podz give his everything on every shift and scores 20+ points from the third line. Anything more than that would be a bonus IMO and if he needs more time to fill a role like that then that's fine too, all prospects have a different path to follow, it's not really predictable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, J-P said:

While I agree that we should somewhat temper expectations I think most fans would be happy with a rookie season where Podz give his everything on every shift and scores 20+ points from the third line. Anything more than that would be a bonus IMO and if he needs more time to fill a role like that then that's fine too, all prospects have a different path to follow, it's not really predictable.

IMO Pods has the skillset to be center.  I'd like to see him get that chance.  He could be a much needed third line center, and play with experienced wingers.  Maybe:  Motte, Pods, ?

  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Everybody is placing such high hopes on this kid. I still think it's wise to temper expectations before we all assume he'll reach most of his potential the moment he steps on the ice for us. 

 

We can dream he's going to have an engine like Motte and Hoglander and hands like Petey on a consistent basis but I think it's gonna take time for him. 

I fear because everybody is banking on this player that he's going to be the whipping boy the moment it doesn't pan out the way they had imagined. 

The kid will be good but I anticipate he'll need a few years. He has the potential to be a stud player but management has been talking this kid up for the entirety of this past year to the point of where most of the fan base is expecting him to come out and put up over 50 points and be an elite forechecker in his first season. Super tough goal to meet for a rookie. 

Not to speak for anyone else but all I'm expecting is a young 'Motte' with more size and a decent (for his age) 2 way game and some complimentary play making. I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if he gets more than 25 or so points, likely playing in the middle 6. May start on the 4th (but IMO, not for long).

 

Edited by aGENT
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Everybody is placing such high hopes on this kid. I still think it's wise to temper expectations before we all assume he'll reach most of his potential the moment he steps on the ice for us. 

 

We can dream he's going to have an engine like Motte and Hoglander and hands like Petey on a consistent basis but I think it's gonna take time for him. 

I fear because everybody is banking on this player that he's going to be the whipping boy the moment it doesn't pan out the way they had imagined. 

The kid will be good but I anticipate he'll need a few years. He has the potential to be a stud player but management has been talking this kid up for the entirety of this past year to the point of where most of the fan base is expecting him to come out and put up over 50 points and be an elite forechecker in his first season. Super tough goal to meet for a rookie. 

Tempering expectations on a player is smart, but doing so doesn't translate into them not becoming a whipping boy. That occurs well outside of the reasonable approach an informed fan usually has. 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Do what Ottawa did last year and help Tampa clear some cap for cheap in exchange for taking on some of our LTIR.

 

Ferland for Palat?

 

Palat, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Podkolzin

Hoglander, Miller, Lind?

Highmore, Graovac/Jasek, Motte

 

Then maybe target Jenner in '22 offseason and move Miller back up the lineup.

I would like to see Vancouver go after Maon Appleton 6'2, 24 - Jets will lose to Seattle? Draft pick 3rd rounder? 

Appleton has speed and size, should score 18 -22 G -- 45 -50 points....Ssolid 200 foot game..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Everybody is placing such high hopes on this kid. I still think it's wise to temper expectations before we all assume he'll reach most of his potential the moment he steps on the ice for us. 

 

We can dream he's going to have an engine like Motte and Hoglander and hands like Petey on a consistent basis but I think it's gonna take time for him. 

I fear because everybody is banking on this player that he's going to be the whipping boy the moment it doesn't pan out the way they had imagined. 

The kid will be good but I anticipate he'll need a few years. He has the potential to be a stud player but management has been talking this kid up for the entirety of this past year to the point of where most of the fan base is expecting him to come out and put up over 50 points and be an elite forechecker in his first season. Super tough goal to meet for a rookie. 

I think it's best to let him play, learn and develop into the player he's going to become. 

 

Personally, I can already see he will be a handful to deal with. As far as immediately expecting him to produce over 50 points, I think that's unrealistic.

 

Let the kid find his own way in the NHL. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Would it be too much to ask for a Hoglander-like season from Podz next year? Maybe not in points but in effort.

Podz has the same relentless motor so I think that effort part is more a guarantee than anything when talking about Podz.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Podkolzin is better than Hoglander.  He was a potential top 3 pick in his draft year.  Hoglander went in the 2nd round.  Benning has already said he thinks he will be in the top 6 right out of the gate.  His engine is just as high as Hoglander if not higher.  He gonna be 215 pounds in the NHL.  This kid is going to be a stud.  Watching Hoglander play is great, but Podkolzin will be on a different level, able to do more with his skillset than Hoglander as he is a much bigger player.

 

Hoglander was on pace for around 39 points as a rookie in a full NHL season.  Podkolzin hitting 40+ points next year is a real possibility.  He is not going to need a few years.  He's already 20 years old and has been playing with men for 2 years.  

The only issue that I take with this is that Podkolzin will never be a high points guy.  

 

I'll be shocked if he hits 40 points next year.  In fact I will be shocked if he ever surpasses 70 points in a season in his career. Podkolzin will be more of a Mike Peca type of player that every winning team needs.  

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Sedinery 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

I think it's best to let him play, learn and develop into the player he's going to become. 

 

Personally, I can already see he will be a handful to deal with. As far as immediately expecting him to produce over 50 points, I think that's unrealistic.

 

Let the kid find his own way in the NHL. 

I'll be surprised if he tops 30 points in his rookie season BUT I could see him be +10 with 180+ hits 90+ blocks.  And most important, averaging .75 points a game in the playoffs.:metal:

Edited by Hogs & Podz
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Podkolzin is better than Hoglander.  He was a potential top 3 pick in his draft year.  Hoglander went in the 2nd round.  Benning has already said he thinks he will be in the top 6 right out of the gate.  His engine is just as high as Hoglander if not higher.  He gonna be 215 pounds in the NHL.  This kid is going to be a stud.  Watching Hoglander play is great, but Podkolzin will be on a different level, able to do more with his skillset than Hoglander as he is a much bigger player.

 

Hoglander was on pace for around 39 points as a rookie in a full NHL season.  Podkolzin hitting 40+ points next year is a real possibility.  He is not going to need a few years.  He's already 20 years old and has been playing with men for 2 years.  

I agree with you 100%..Podkolzin  19, 6'2, 215 lbs, lead his KHL team in scoring GP 16 - G 6 --PTS 11 -- AVG 13:40 toi...

He turns 20 years old June 24th..Podkolzin dominated most hockey tourney's between 16 - 18 years old... I was expecting hi to dominate world U20 .. He is a leader, plays the 200 foot game and he has skill and grit..

He would of been the top 5 pick if he wasn't Russian .. Sure hope we get him signed soon... Need support off ice maybe family or someone for his adjustment to Canada and english...So excited to see the big young talented stud wear blue and green..

#92 will be so exciting, will help us turn this team around..

Predict 2021-22 Season  GP 75 - G 22 - PTS 48--52

 

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2021 at 3:17 PM, knucklehead91 said:

He only becomes a whipping boy if the effort isn’t there. That is not a concern with VP, he doesnt stop skating or battling.
Im not expecting this kid to come in and put up 25-30g and 30-40a the day he arrives.

The part about him that I am looking so forward to is his relentless effort with or without the puck. Even if he isnt collecting points, someone else on the ice is benefiting from his dog on a bone work ethic. Either our tendy is benefitting from the puck spending less time in our zone when he is on the ice, because he is winning board battles or getting his stick on pucks. Or someone is scooping up the loose puck in the corner or along the walls in the other end and we are getting chances off that. Or we are getting power plays because he doesnt stop moving his feet and players are hooking and grabbing on to stifle him.

 

As long as he never stops working hard, he will be effective in a much needed way, one way or the other. Either scoring or making life a living hell in our zone for the opposition to set up. And if we are fortunate enough, hopefully he winds up being both.

Yep, I'd be happy with a 15g 15a, 30 point (over 82 games) season from Podz. I just want to see high-effort Hoglander-style play

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...