The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1 hour ago, filthycanuck said:

I agree. If he even gets double digit goals, consider him a success. Podz value will be his hard work at puck retrievals, controlling along the boards, forechecking etc. His numbers might not flatter at first but his play could lead to more wins

Very much agree. I expect Podkolzin to become an analytics darling in the NHL, with sparkling on-ice metrics that tell the story of his impact during shifts, and how much he can elevate the performance of the five man unit on the ice.

I’m hopeful the box scores will also be there for him, but his success probably shouldn’t be judged merely on scoring production.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I know that this signing was expected, but still a huge relief.  There is no guarantee that a 19 YO Russian will come over right away.  SKA could very well have made him an offer he couldn't refuse.  Pods is going to be a huge part of this team, maybe even as early as next year.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

On 5/28/2021 at 2:26 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Although we don't really need another thread to discuss this, there's a few of them out there, including our main draft thread, my personal opinion is, that if we don't win the lottery, I would look at shopping our 1st round pick for immediate help from some of the real cap crunched teams. I'm not saying get someone a lot older, I'm saying, go see who has a kid that fits our needs, who they are having trouble resigning due to the flat cap. 

I’m sure they’re already looking into all that.

It’s funny that some teams are against the cap because they are so good and have so many talented players; we on the other hand are against the cap for completely different reasons expensive veterans who aren’t producing and undeserving of their salaries. 

47 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

I’m sure they’re already looking into all that.

It’s funny that some teams are against the cap because they are so good and have so many talented players; we on the other hand are against the cap for completely different reasons expensive veterans who aren’t producing and undeserving of their salaries. 

Would happily surrender our 2nd round pick this year, to Seattle if it meant not having to buy LE, out.

10 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

A second round pick could be Hoglander or a Demko. Don’t think so. 

Exactly... could you imagine JB giving a 2nd to Seattle to take LE off our hands then the 2nd Turns into Demko 2.0 or Hogz 2.0 .... posters like Squamfan would have a field day and remind us for the next 50 years on how LE screwed us for 20 plus years. Pass let’s spend the money and keep our picks. :towel:

31 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

A second round pick could be Hoglander or a Demko. Don’t think so. 

The chance of a 2nd round pick making an impact is normally about 20 to 25%. This year, we have no real data on most prospects as they haven't been playing due to Covid. Normally, I wouldn't give up that high a pick to get rid of LE, this year, I would consider it.

23 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

The chance of a 2nd round pick making an impact is normally about 20 to 25%. This year, we have no real data on most prospects as they haven't been playing due to Covid. Normally, I wouldn't give up that high a pick to get rid of LE, this year, I would consider it.

On the other hand, this year, with the lack of scouting available and the draft being more of a crap shoot, if a team's strength is scouting and they feel confident, this could be the year where they pick up a lot of gems in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and maybe load up.  (Unless this is a concensus bad draft year like JV's year where not many 2nd rounder and onward made the NHL)

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

On the other hand, this year, with the lack of scouting available and the draft being more of a crap shoot, if a team's strength is scouting and they feel confident, this could be the year where they pick up a lot of gems in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and maybe load up.  (Unless this is a concensus bad draft year like JV's year where not many 2nd rounder and onward made the NHL)

Yes but to scout, they have to actually play, or you're just making decisions based on who's a nice guy!

Great article on Podz. Went back a couple pages, don't think its been posted yet, as it's pretty new.

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/05/31/very-glad-signed-contract-vancouver-vasily-podkolzin-speaks-leaving-khl-showcase-talents-nhl/

Sounds like a kid with his head screwed on straight and a passion to succeed. Love the character.

I like the way our bottom 6 is shaping up... possibly. Assuming he starts there, we do have fast and somewhat skilled players to put with him. Or if he is good enough for the top 6, even better.

Lockwood, Lind, Gadjovich, Highmore... perhaps even Focht could have a strong summer and come back fully capable men. Most have speed and skill to be a completely revamped unit ppssibly with Podkolzin.  I also think Motte could be moved to the 3rd if necessary. Then there's Big Mac, who is a servicable fill-in if required and gives us more size if nothing else.

The more I look at it, the more I question if we want Sutter back at any price.

Edited by kloubek
  • Cheers 1

Just now, fanfor42 said:

No. Time to move on. He will only get more and more stale from here on. 

One of our biggest weaknesses is lack of scoring in the bottom 6. There’s absolutely no way we should be considering bringing him back.

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

Great article on Podz. Went back a couple pages, don't think its been posted yet, as it's pretty new.

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/05/31/very-glad-signed-contract-vancouver-vasily-podkolzin-speaks-leaving-khl-showcase-talents-nhl/

Sounds like a kid with his head screwed on straight and a passion to succeed. Love the character.

I like the way our bottom 6 is shaping up... possibly. Assuming he starts there, we do have fast and somewhat skilled players to put with him. Or if he is good enough for the top 6, even better.

Lockwood, Lind, Gadjovich, Highmore... perhaps even Focht could have a strong summer and come back fully capable men. Most have speed and skill to be a completely revamped unit ppssibly with Podkolzin.  I also think Motte could be moved to the 3rd if necessary. Then there's Big Mac, who is a servicable fill-in if required and gives us more size if nothing else.

The more I look at it, the more I question if we want Sutter back at any price.

Sutter is too slow for today's game, especially playoff hockey.  I am sure he can do well in a 4th line role in the regular season, but I'd rather have a speedier more truculent player centering the 4th line in the playoffs.