The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I want my 3c to have a high IQ, be a leader and be good at the dot.  Those are my main requirements for that spot and Sutter fits those nicely.  If he comes in at a good price, I see no reason not to bring him back

An ideal 3c to me would be in the Malhotra mold. 

Elite faceoff ability, can effectively shut-down almost any assignment within reason.  More than reliable in all 3 zones.  Leadership and then some.  And to top it off, could regularly produce 35-45 points. 

JB needs to find a Malhotra-type at some point.....

“Vasily Podkolzin” is sure a strange way to spell the Sutter/3C discussion thread! :P

EDIT: But keeping on topic ;), I’ve been wondering how little we’d need to offer in trade to get Morgan Geekie out of Carolina, ahead of the expansion draft? I know Geekie isn’t necessarily the answer right now, but he might be a guy who turns into a really good 3C just in time for when we hit our competitive window, and one that could maybe be extended quite reasonable to fill that role on the cheap.

And then maybe also draft his brother Conor next year.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1

Peering into my crystal ball, I see Green giving Podz a couple of exhibition games on Petey's left wing and him absolutely killing it, making it his own for the rest of the season.  Miller then gets his wish to center his own line, and JB gets his wish for a true top 9,  dangerous in every situation but equally responsive defensively 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/31/2021 at 12:43 PM, VegasCanuck said:

The chance of a 2nd round pick making an impact is normally about 20 to 25%. This year, we have no real data on most prospects as they haven't been playing due to Covid. Normally, I wouldn't give up that high a pick to get rid of LE, this year, I would consider it.

Guys.... just friendly reminder, LE has no trade clause in his contract.

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

An ideal 3c to me would be in the Malhotra mold. 

Elite faceoff ability, can effectively shut-down almost any assignment within reason.  More than reliable in all 3 zones.  Leadership and then some.  And to top it off, could regularly produce 35-45 points. 

JB needs to find a Malhotra-type at some point.....

I'd say Sutter fits that mold pretty well.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

“Vasily Podkolzin” is sure a strange way to spell the Sutter/3C discussion thread! :P

EDIT: But keeping on topic ;), I’ve been wondering how little we’d need to offer in trade to get Morgan Geekie out of Carolina, ahead of the expansion draft? I know Geekie isn’t necessarily the answer right now, but he might be a guy who turns into a really good 3C just in time for when we hit our competitive window, and one that could maybe be extended quite reasonable to fill that role on the cheap.

And then maybe also draft his brother Conor next year.

revenge of the nerds 80s GIF

On 5/31/2021 at 12:01 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Would happily surrender our 2nd round pick this year, to Seattle if it meant not having to buy LE, out.

And Seattle does this because?:P  (2nd round pick ain't nearly enough to take of that awful contract).

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say Sutter fits that mold pretty well.

I would say he's close.

He's only ever got over 35pts once in his career and he seems to be deteriorating physically as indicated by the constant injuries but he brings a lot to the team that one would be looking at in a 3c - if only he was making 50% (or thereabouts) less salary.  

49 minutes ago, tan said:

Guys.... just friendly reminder, LE has no trade clause in his contract.

And he/his agent and Benning have been looking for a trade literally ANYWHERE that would have him for about 3 years now. I don't think him waiving his (partial IIRC) NTC would be ANY kind of impediment to a trade. 

It's the 'trade' part that's the hard part lol

27 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I would say he's close.

He's only ever got over 35pts once in his career and he seems to be deteriorating physically as indicated by the constant injuries but he brings a lot to the team that one would be looking at in a 3c - if only he was making 50% (or thereabouts) less salary.  

IF he is extended, I'd bet that's about exactly where he'd land for cap.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I would say he's close.

His health is definitely a concern.  But, if healthy and with wingers who can play offense, I think he can put up 35 points per year.  Mostly, he's got to come in at a cap friendly price.

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Peering into my crystal ball, I see Green giving Podz a couple of exhibition games on Petey's left wing and him absolutely killing it, making it his own for the rest of the season.  Miller then gets his wish to center his own line, and JB gets his wish for a true top 9,  dangerous in every situation but equally responsive defensively 

Pettersson -- Miller -- Horvat -- Sutter gives the Canucks a competitive/deep roster of centremen.  

We can count on Sutter being hurt half the season, so it gives Beagle until January/February 2022 to fully heal from whatever it is that is ailing him.  Then a Pettersson -- Miller -- Horvat -- Beagle centremen lineup will work just as well until playoffs roll around when both Sutter and Beagle can be inserted into the lineup.

2 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Pettersson -- Miller -- Horvat -- Sutter gives the Canucks a competitive/deep roster of centremen.  

We can count on Sutter being hurt half the season, so it gives Beagle until January/February 2022 to fully heal from whatever it is that is ailing him.  Then a Pettersson -- Miller -- Horvat -- Beagle centremen lineup will work just as well until playoffs roll around when both Sutter and Beagle can be inserted into the lineup.

Pettersson will play centre.  

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

And Seattle does this because?:P  (2nd round pick ain't nearly enough to take of that awful contract).

For 1 year of a 6 million cap hit that they only have to pay about 2.5 million for...its fair compensation.

Personally, I think we're just going to buy LE out this summer.

16 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

For 1 year of a 6 million cap hit that they only have to pay about 2.5 million for...its fair compensation.

Personally, I think we're just going to buy LE out this summer.

They want to compete probably sooner rather than later.  6 million in a flat cap world could buy you one impact player on your roster.   Sure, LE's salary is much less than his actual cap hit, but Seattle's owner's have deep pockets.  They aren't like the Sens owner.

Better to just 'grin & bear it' with LE's contract.  Team's window isn't short. 

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

They want to compete probably sooner rather than later.  6 million in a flat cap world could buy you one impact player on your roster.   Sure, LE's salary is much less than his actual cap hit, but Seattle's owner's have deep pockets.  They aren't like the Sens owner.

Better to just 'grin & bear it' with LE's contract.  Team's window isn't short. 

I really don't see anyone taking LE. I think we buy him out this summer. It saves ownership 1 million in actual, hard dollars, lowers our cap hit to 4 million for next season and only costs us 1 million for the following. I'm betting that's the route that we take.