The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

58 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Question.  Right now, what players would you take over Podz from his draft year?

For me, Dach, Zegras, Seider.  

Toss up for Hughes, Byram, Kakko

He hasn't played a game but I feel like he has a very unique combination of size, skill, vision, and insane determination that will make him special.  We'll see.

For what we are lacking he was the best pick out of that whole group for us other than Seider.  We are already set at 1C and 2C so no need for Hughes, Dach or Zegras.  Podkolzin will be better than Kakko.  And we already have Hughes and Rathbone so no need for Byram.  The only player you can say we may need more than Podkolzin is Seider.  So we will see over the next 3 years who is the better player, Podkolzin or Seider.

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

For what we are lacking he was the best pick out of that whole group for us other than Seider.  We are already set at 1C and 2C so no need for Hughes, Dach or Zegras.  Podkolzin will be better than Kakko.  And we already have Hughes and Rathbone so no need for Byram.  The only player you can say we may need more than Podkolzin is Seider.  So we will see over the next 3 years who is the better player, Podkolzin or Seider.

Your optimism is infectious, but I still would love Byram... at 6'1 nearly 200ibs he is not soft. 

Happy with Podz though and agree he is exactly what we need up front.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Agreed on these points.  I was looking at it as bpa and I think Dach and Zegras are a cut above the rest.  For organizational fit, Seider would be the only one better than Podz though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rathbone will be better than Byram.  You can quote me on this...  :)

You have been quoted! 

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's how I see it as well. Whenever I read threads about the 2019 draft I am constantly flummoxed on how little love Podz gets outside of our fans and the Russian posters who appreciate him since they see him a ton.

I read things like Newhook, Caufield would go higher in a redraft and I just don't get it. Caufield who is mainly a goal-scorer has 4 goals in 16 games while being pretty much meh away from that. Podz while yes the KHL is not the same level was his teams best player often on the 4th line who can literally contribute in every aspect of the game.

The playoffs show us every year what kind of players needed to win, Podz has that in spades at 19 FFS. 

He might not win a Calder but I think he may end up being one of those guys that helps win the hardware that really matters.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rathbone will be better than Byram.  You can quote me on this...  :)

Love it.

Based on what though? A good, lucky feeling and some Canuck fan-dom/optimism?

Which would actually be good enough for me. But if you could share something substantive to supplement that I would appreciate it even more.

9 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I wouldn't bet against that. I see Rathbone ending up being just an absolute stud for us.

Only if he bumps Hughes (unlikely) or Miller to the 2nd PP unit.  Bones will be neutered if he is relegated to 2nd PP duties.  Would rarely be on the ice.

Ideally ...

PP1:

Horvat - Pettersson - Boeser

Hughes - Rathbone

PP2:  

Podkolzin/Pearson - Miller - Hoglander

Schmidt/Juolevi  - Myers

Which would be good. - JT isn't going to keep quiet about getting just 15 secs of icetime each PowerPlay.  And I know Podz has played the point in U-20 PPs, but that was as 1st unit.  You don't want a forward playing defence when  the penalized player comes out if the box after a successful kill.

1 hour ago, nzan said:

Love it.

Based on what though? A good, lucky feeling and some Canuck fan-dom/optimism?

Which would actually be good enough for me. But if you could share something substantive to supplement that I would appreciate it even more.

A gut feeling at the moment. But in watching both players it seems Rathbone has a more well rounded game. He is 2 years older so of course that helps him in the short term. But Rathbone does have a lot of similarities to Adam Fox. I don’t see that with Byram. 

I’m not saying Byram won’t be a good player. He may even become a star. But I see Norris Trophy potential in Rathbone. He could become one of the greatest 4th round draft picks in NHL history.  I don’t see Byram winning a Norris Trophy. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

That's how I see it as well. Whenever I read threads about the 2019 draft I am constantly flummoxed on how little love Podz gets outside of our fans and the Russian posters who appreciate him since they see him a ton.

I read things like Newhook, Caufield would go higher in a redraft and I just don't get it. Caufield who is mainly a goal-scorer has 4 goals in 16 games while being pretty much meh away from that. Podz while yes the KHL is not the same level was his teams best player often on the 4th line who can literally contribute in every aspect of the game.

The playoffs show us every year what kind of players needed to win, Podz has that in spades at 19 FFS. 

He might not win a Calder but I think he may end up being one of those guys that helps win the hardware that really matters.

Podkolzin is going to be a great playoff performer.  Think Trevor Linden. I think Podkolzin is going to be a star. He won’t be as flashy as Pavel Bure or Alex Mogilny but at the end of his career in Vancouver he will leave a lasting legacy similar to the Russian Rocket. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He could become one of the greatest 4th round draft picks in NHL history.  

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Podkolzin is going to be a star. He won’t be as flashy as Pavel Bure or Alex Mogilny but at the end of his career in Vancouver he will leave a lasting legacy similar to the Russian Rocket. 

You're not short on bold!

Gotta admire it when predictions swing for the fence:)

I'm hanging on for the ride with ya!! 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Podkolzin is going to be a great playoff performer.  Think Trevor Linden. I think Podkolzin is going to be a star. He won’t be as flashy as Pavel Bure or Alex Mogilny but at the end of his career in Vancouver he will leave a lasting legacy similar to the Russian Rocket. 

Pods is a bigger, and more skilled version of Burrows.  That’s one heck of a player, who will help us win in a variety of ways.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Only if he bumps Hughes (unlikely) or Miller to the 2nd PP unit.  Bones will be neutered if he is relegated to 2nd PP duties.  Would rarely be on the ice.

Ideally ...

PP1:

Horvat - Pettersson - Boeser

Hughes - Rathbone

PP2:  

Podkolzin/Pearson - Miller - Hoglander

Schmidt/Juolevi  - Myers

Which would be good. - JT isn't going to keep quiet about getting just 15 secs of icetime each PowerPlay.  And I know Podz has played the point in U-20 PPs, but that was as 1st unit.  You don't want a forward playing defence when  the penalized player comes out if the box after a successful kill.

*New special teams coach*