The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

Only if he bumps Hughes (unlikely) or Miller to the 2nd PP unit.  Bones will be neutered if he is relegated to 2nd PP duties.  Would rarely be on the ice.

Ideally ...

PP1:

Horvat - Pettersson - Boeser

Hughes - Rathbone

PP2:  

Podkolzin/Pearson - Miller - Hoglander

Schmidt/Juolevi  - Myers

Which would be good. - JT isn't going to keep quiet about getting just 15 secs of icetime each PowerPlay.  And I know Podz has played the point in U-20 PPs, but that was as 1st unit.  You don't want a forward playing defence when  the penalized player comes out if the box after a successful kill.

Last off-topic post for me in this thread, I promise...  

But while we're on this subject, I really hope that we get to a place where our PP1 is on the ice for 1 minute, on average.  

Travis Green is a player's coach, and sometimes way too nice to the players.  Hughes and company would've been getting an earful from many other coaches for hogging as much ice time as they did last year.  

50 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

But while we're on this subject, I really hope that we get to a place where our PP1 is on the ice for 1 minute, on average.  

Travis Green is a player's coach, and sometimes way too nice to the players.  Hughes and company would've been getting an earful from many other coaches for hogging as much ice time as they did last year.  

I don't see it like that, and I have no problem with PP1 getting say 1.10-1.20 of most power plays unless they're not rolling, in which case you play PP2 half the time or more. That's assuming you have a decent PP2 of course, which this past season we clearly did not.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Pods is a bigger, and more skilled version of Burrows.  That’s one heck of a player, who will help us win in a variety of ways.  

Win da Russian Turds 

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

What is the timeline for VP to arrive in Vancouver? I'm sure I read that he was spending time in his homeland, then planning on making the trip to Vancouver in July? I'm guessing he would have to quarantine for a bit as well, as get vaccinated, etc.

He will be in Vancouver in August 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 12:59 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

I hope, more, that they can spread out their stars over two units.  There's only one puck and to load up the first unit with all of them is a waste.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

He is likely getting inundated with offers to do summer training and acclimatization in Vancouver, while looking for somewhere to live, and Kelowna, with Myers, Jake, et al

According to all the experts on CDC, he will be exposed in the ED, and Jake is going to be cast free!

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

I hope, more, that they can spread out their stars over two units.  There's only one puck and to load up the first unit with all of them is a waste.  

Exactly. And if the 1st unit is on the ice for 1:30 of a penalty, start the 2nd unit on the next penalty to keep everyone happy, and fresh. 

On 7/1/2021 at 11:43 AM, Alflives said:

Pods is a bigger, and more skilled version of Burrows.  That’s one heck of a player, who will help us win in a variety of ways.  

While I agree, the biggest thing is does he have Burrows' iq? Burrows was extremely underrated for how smart he played the game in his prime. Defensively he was incredibly smart, but offensively it's not easy to play with guys like the Sedins unless you have a head for the game. Even the small things like positioning and when to retrieve the puck along the wall are huge impacts on the game and in possession. Podz' biggest hurdle is figuring out when to act and when to not act (during his prospect year he'd take way too much low percentage shots that killed plays) but from what I've seen he has improved this area a bit so hopefully we see that upward trend. If he can have the iq this kid will no doubt be a stud but the iq is the hardest thing to gain. Jake Virtanen still hasn't found it lol. 

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

While I agree, the biggest thing is does he have Burrows' iq? Burrows was extremely underrated for how smart he played the game in his prime. Defensively he was incredibly smart, but offensively it's not easy to play with guys like the Sedins unless you have a head for the game. Even the small things like positioning and when to retrieve the puck along the wall are huge impacts on the game and in possession. Podz' biggest hurdle is figuring out when to act and when to not act (during his prospect year he'd take way too much low percentage shots that killed plays) but from what I've seen he has improved this area a bit so hopefully we see that upward trend. If he can have the iq this kid will no doubt be a stud but the iq is the hardest thing to gain. Jake Virtanen still hasn't found it lol. 

Pods already is a PK guy, and known for very high Hockey smarts, and a leader too.  That the hockey Gods he fell to us.  Great talent.  

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Podz has a tenacious presence on the ice and opposing d men are going to get caught, not with a big hit, but with losing possession.  

The type of player Green wanted Jake to be.  

Jake was that player.  3 of his first 4 full seasons he led the team in takeaways per 60 mins (the 4th he was second to Liepsic).  Supplanted last year by Hoglander in total number and by 6 others in per 60 mins led, of all people,  by Eriksson.

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Jake was that player.  3 of his first 4 full seasons he led the team in takeaways per 60 mins (the 4th he was second to Liepsic).  Supplanted last year by Hoglander in total number and by 6 others in per 60 mins led, of all people,  by Eriksson.

You should be his agent!  Then maybe we can get something for him!!! 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Jake would spend 95% of a shift not skating and then sneak attach unsuspecting opponents from behind. His take away stats were just that, a stat. His 200ft game was aweful from day 1 and you googlie, anoong a few others, gave this  guy way too much rope.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, brbetts542 said:

Jake would spend 95% of a shift not skating and then sneak attach unsuspecting opponents from behind. His take away stats were just that, a stat. His 200ft game was aweful from day 1 and you googlie, anoong a few others, gave this  guy way too much rope.

i am guilty, heck i even said gaudette could be our 3rd line center. green tried to make adam and jake be something they weren't and because of it they had thier worst season ever. Jake as long as he's not banished from the league could still be a decent 4th liner. Gaudette hope fully can gain some strength this off season but his intestinal problems may always hold him back.

Besides the expansion draft/free agency/buy outs etc....For me havin Podz come in this year is the most exciting thing to be talking about,not all these speculation threads.I really like his game from what I’ve seen it would be nice if he could step right into the NHL.Dont want to put any undue pressure on the kid but he has a lot of attributes that translate to the NHL.

Edited by Cromeslab
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

Prediction Vasily will be a key PK player for us for years and will be a selke nominated player by year 3. I really hope this kid can be our Jere Lehtinen. 50-60 point player who will just shutdown players like ehlers

Him and Bo as shutdown guys,I like it

2 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

Besides the expansion draft/free agency/buy outs etc....For me havin Podz come in this year is the most exciting thing to be talking about,not all these speculation threads.I really like his game from what I’ve seen it would be nice if he could step right into the NHL.Dont want to put any undue pressure on the kid but he has a lot of attributes that ranslate to the NHL.

I dont have expectation either, but it would be nice if he could jump right onto the second line like hoglander. hoglander moves to the first and miller becomes our 3rd line center.

Vasily is the type of player that I think could see playing on our 4th line even, he's that type of player so multi dimensional