The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

13 hours ago, frank einstein said:

I'm conflicted. Some of those uniforms look like an Edmonton/Rangers mix, making him look like, you know, that guy... 

Maybe that's why Larianov compared him to a young, you know, that guy.  Got confused by the sweaters

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Thankfully, I think with all the changes, Podkolzin is going to get a fair amount of cover, with the fans having lots of other players to focus their attention on, both positively and negatively. If our roster was largely unchanged, and Pod was the only notable new piece, I’d imagine there’d be a much bigger spotlight on him.

Yes, and he will either start on the 3rd or 4th line and maybe get some 2nd PP time. They will give him the Bo treatment and let him earn his way up, and if he does, which I suspect he will, the level of depth we’ll have is terrific. Assuming our other guys perform as expected. 

As you said, what’s great is there will be no pressure on him, other than learn to play the NHL game (which he should be ready for) and be strong in your own zone (which he’s shown he already is). I suspect he will really add a lot of offence to that third line. 

Miller centering Podz and Motte to start the year. We saw Miller last half season carry the mail without Petey and its VERY clear he can command attention driving a line on his own. I don't get why people are automatically putting Motte as a 4th liner. If he wasn't injured, he was having a career year, why peg him in the bottom of the lineup?

Podz, Podzilla… the guy could go into a corner and come out with the puck vs Horvat.  He is got solid heavy core strength that just seems to make other players look like gravity stops when they run into him.  

Very excited about this kid.  In a few years, this is the one other teams are going to wish they had.  

23 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Miller centering Podz and Motte to start the year. We saw Miller last half season carry the mail without Petey and its VERY clear he can command attention driving a line on his own. I don't get why people are automatically putting Motte as a 4th liner. If he wasn't injured, he was having a career year, why peg him in the bottom of the lineup?

Tbh our team is so deep now in the forward end now that there's no other option other than Motte who can play in a 4th line role. Maybe Dickisnon, but we need a 3C. 

1 hour ago, KingRaj91 said:

Tbh our team is so deep now in the forward end now that there's no other option other than Motte who can play in a 4th line role. Maybe Dickisnon, but we need a 3C. 

The 4th line would be Sutter Dickinson and Highmore, assuming JT Miller of course is centering a line. I truly believe having 3 good lines rather than 2 loaded ones is the best way to go. Miller's line on paper is 3rd but they'll be deployed like a 2nd lineB. Miller is good enough that he can carry a line and could be at some nights the one thats going. The way the league is trending, the 3rd line can't just be a grind line, they have to be contributing more consistently rather than shutting down the other teams best line

2 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

The 4th line would be Sutter Dickinson and Highmore, assuming JT Miller of course is centering a line. I truly believe having 3 good lines rather than 2 loaded ones is the best way to go. Miller's line on paper is 3rd but they'll be deployed like a 2nd lineB. Miller is good enough that he can carry a line and could be at some nights the one thats going. The way the league is trending, the 3rd line can't just be a grind line, they have to be contributing more consistently rather than shutting down the other teams best line

I love this line of thinking so much.

I don’t think they’ll do it, but it would be awesome.

If only you could find someone to properly take Miller’s spot on the top line (with at least a bit of toughness and snarl) I think we could average first line 70 points each, 2nd line 50 points each, 2ndB line 50 points each.

it would be dynamite.

Edited by nzan
  • Cheers 1

On 8/3/2021 at 3:36 AM, nzan said:

I love this line of thinking so much.

I don’t think they’ll do it, but it would be awesome.

If only you could find someone to properly take Miller’s spot on the top line (with at least a bit of toughness and snarl) I think we could average first line 70 points each, 2nd line 50 points each, 2ndB line 50 points each.

it would be dynamite.

I don't see it more of points as much as a percentage of how the line should be the best line during the season. The way I see it, back then 10-15% of the season, the 3rd line is ur best line, but now I peg it at 25%. The reason why we didn't do well is because (other than injuries) is were top 2 heavy. The scoring needs to be balanced and Miller can do that centering a 2nd line B. We saw him some nights this past year drive the play, was good in faceoffs, so I don't doubt him playing the role. He'll get his ice time on PP1 and be at that 17 - 20 minute ice time range

Hogs Petey Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

Podz Miller Motte

The days of a 3rd line being just a shutdown line is over. The 3rd line should be able to minimize scoring chances but be expected to outscore their matchups more times than not, and have the 4th as a the shutdown line rather than just keeping the wheels spinning

24 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

I don't see it more of points as much as a percentage of how the line should be the best line during the season. The way I see it, back then 10-15% of the season, the 3rd line is ur best line, but now I peg it at 25%. The reason why we didn't do well is because (other than injuries) is were top 2 heavy. The scoring needs to be balanced and Miller can do that centering a 2nd line B. We saw him some nights this past year drive the play, was good in faceoffs, so I don't doubt him playing the role. He'll get his ice time on PP1 and be at that 17 - 20 minute ice time range

Hogs Petey Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

Podz Miller Motte

The days of a 3rd line being just a shutdown line is over. The 3rd line should be able to minimize scoring chances but be expected to outscore their matchups more times than not, and have the 4th as a the shutdown line rather than just keeping the wheels spinning

Exactly.

I've never been a fan of a 3rd line that just eats minutes and tries to not get scored on.

Our bigger problem than being top 2 heavy in years past (in my opinion) was that we didn't even have a real 2nd line - more like just two and a half lines of tweener energy guys.

So to have two great lines is already spectacular in my mind, but if we could have a legit scoring third line - I can't imagine how awesome that would be.