The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

On 7/31/2021 at 11:10 PM, frank einstein said:

I'm conflicted. Some of those uniforms look like an Edmonton/Rangers mix, making him look like, you know, that guy... 

just for the record, I would be thrilled to see Vasili become the next Moose.

Mess was indeed a… mess… in Vancouver. But his career was nothing but enviable. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'd like to think that in a few years, Podkolzin and Klimovich will both be on the team when VAN makes a serious run at the Cup. They both possess that dominating physicality, players like that thrive in the playoffs.  VAN could be a very tough team to play against, even more so if they get Gadjovich, Woo and Keeper going as well. 

I would say pump the brakes but after getting Hog and the way he’s turned out.

Peddle to the metal.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, nergish said:

I have to agree. As big of a mess as he was in Vancouver, his career is undeniable. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

I would say pump the brakes but after getting Hog and the way he’s turned out.

Peddle to the metal.

Oh for sure, you never know how a prospect will really turn out. I remember I thought the "Pettersson and Dahlen" duo was a sure thing lol  

1 hour ago, nergish said:

As long as he doesn't have the character issues of Messier, sure.  I'll never consider the career of a locker room cancer enviable though.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

As long as he doesn't have the character issues of Messier, sure.  I'll never consider the career of a locker room cancer enviable though.

Was he a cancer or just a parasite who took full advantage of a contract and floated through his entire time here? Keenan was just as much a cancer to the Canucks.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

I have to agree. As big of a mess as he was in Vancouver, his career is undeniable. 

Yes his on ice achievement remains untarnished by his paid vacation here but it's his much vaunted reputation as a character guy that was wiped out, at least for me. A leader? I guess, but not the kind I would follow. Right out of the gate Podkolzin's sterling character appears incorruptible. I've rarely seen anything like it in any profession, let alone sports. I would love to play with a guy like that and I'm sure his new teammates will feel the same. 

Podkolzin seems to have the grace to "lead from behind" but even so, Captain Horvat might feel some relief that Podkolzin's english isn't fluent -- yet. He's not the kind of guy who creates conflict with his teammates, unlike "that guy."

Edited by frank einstein
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, frank einstein said:

Yes his on ice achievement remains untarnished by his paid vacation here but it's his much vaunted reputation character guy was wiped out, at least for me. A leader? I guess, but not the kind I would follow. Right out of the gate Podkolzin's sterling character appears incorruptible. I've rarely seen anything like it in any profession, let alone sports. I would love to play with a guy like that and I'm sure his new teammates will feel the same. 

Podkolzin seems to have the grace to "lead from behind" but even so, Captain Horvat might feel some relief that Podkolzin's english isn't fluent -- yet. He's not the kind of guy who creates conflict with his teammates, unlike "that guy."

He's definitely not a quiet guy.  Watched him closely in Ostrava; he wouldn't shut up on the bench.

• Cheers 3

Thinking back, some Canucks rookies have done very well their rookie years. Other teams weren't sure how to play against these guys, their tendencies, and the rookies flourished. 

Boeser - Calder Nom. / All-Star (MVP)

Pettersson - Calder Winner / All-Star

Hughes - Calder Nom. / All-Star

Hoglander

Podkolzin next to join those top 3?  

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Thinking back, some Canucks rookies have done very well their rookie years. Other teams weren't sure how to play against these guys, their tendencies, and the rookies flourished. 

Boeser - Calder Nom. / All-Star (MVP)

Pettersson - Calder Winner / All-Star

Hughes - Calder Nom. / All-Star

Hoglander

Podkolzin next to join those top 3?  

That's not really Podkolzin's game. He's a great checker that can capitalize in transition with a good shot and vision to make tap in plays. But he's not gonna come in and put up 50+ points and win the Calder. If he comes in and grinds as a role player for us that can sporadically put up points and make life hard on opponents. That would be great. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

That's not really Podkolzin's game. He's a great checker that can capitalize in transition with a good shot and vision to make tap in plays. But he's not gonna come in and put up 50+ points and win the Calder. If he comes in and grinds as a role player for us that can sporadically put up points and make life hard on opponents. That would be great. 

Maybe similar to Horvat's game? 

• Like 1