The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Yeah 20 years old... still putting on strength... will probably add another 15-20lbs... I have wished for this a loooong time now.

yup. Now imagine Klimovich makes the show too. Couple of hard nosed Slavic players, take no bs and play hard. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/25/2021 at 6:27 PM, 204CanucksFan said:

Exactly. Lines next season should be:

Miller - Petey - Boeser 

Podz - Horvat - Garland 

Pearson - Dickinson - Hogz

Highmore - MacEwen/UFA 4C - Motte

13th: MacEwen 

Let the Lotto Line do what it does against the other teams best match up line, Line 2 can tenaciously dominate the other teams 2nd line, Line 3 can match up against the other teams best and Line 4 can out run most lines on the other team and wreak havoc while adding scoring. 

Podz  is a RWer, the lines would be more like 

Miller - Petey - Boeser 

Hogz - Horvat - Podz 

Pearson - Dickinson - Garland. 

arguably the Canucks have 8 top 6 players.  I like Garland but Hogz 5 v 5 stats are just too strong to ignore.  

the energy on that 2nd line tho…..

7 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

I am trying to temper my excitement and not expect too much from him in his rookie season but, articles and videos like that make it so hard to do so.

I am not sure if Podkolzin is 6'4, as stated in the article. Several websites, including the KHL, list him as that, but some observers like Chris Faber (if I'm not mistaken) are sure that he's definitely less than that.

Regardless, there is a lot going for Podkolzin. I think he'll be a very solid player for us this season.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I am not sure if Podkolzin is 6'4, as stated in the article. Several websites, including the KHL, list him as that, but some observers like Chris Faber (if I'm not mistaken) are sure that he's definitely less than that.

Regardless, there is a lot going for Podkolzin. I think he'll be a very solid player for us this season.

I believe he's 6'1"

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Local Van tv should do a special presentation, where VIP is welcomed/intro'd & measured/weighed like a landed salmon(in his bikini briefs). Perhaps hosted by Geraldo Rivera?..

So you're saying his nickname will be "Salmon"? ;)

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

they're not paying Garland $5m to play on the third line.  Not to mention he is an established NHL scorer, and is not going to be supplanted by a rookie.  He's playing top 6, most likely with Bo and Pearson.

I think that's sensible, but then do you put a rookie and a sophomore on a line that's going to get buried with D zone starts? (Hoglander-Dickinson-Podkolzin)

Edited by MattJVD

21 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Podz  is a RWer, the lines would be more like 

Miller - Petey - Boeser 

Hogz - Horvat - Podz 

Pearson - Dickinson - Garland. 

arguably the Canucks have 8 top 6 players.  I like Garland but Hogz 5 v 5 stats are just too strong to ignore.  

the energy on that 2nd line tho…..

Garland is probably the fastest player in the league, if not he’s close to it. Why would you neutralize that asset by putting him on the 3rd line???

29 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I think that's sensible, but then do you put a rookie and a sophomore on a line that's going to get buried with D zone starts? (Hoglander-Dickinson-Podkolzin)

I think you go

Hog-Horvat-Garland on the second line. 

From what I’ve seen Podzzy is a great 2-way player. Maybe the Canucks will try the Brayden Point approach with him(he started out on a shut down line and blossomed).

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Yeah, I have Hog, Bo and Garchomp on line two right now. Considering Hoglander's last season, I think he breaks out this year and nets at least 50 points. Pearson seems to be trending in the opposite direction, but I think could still play a role on a semi-checking line that can also be relied on for a bit of offense. 

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

Hogz is one of the best 200ft players they have.  His defensive game is underrated and podz is also a solid 200ft player.  Obviously we know dickensen is proficient on that side of the puck, but hogz and pidz might bring out his offensive talent, which is there.  I think they'd be tough to play against.......3 hard forechecking, defensively responsible guys

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

When does Podkolzin arrive? Really liking his enthusiasm for wanting to play in VAN, I hope he provides that effort every night.

Miller is a good team mate for a guy like Podkolzin, I think. He'd probably talk his ear off, give him a lot of pointers, be a mentor. Miller plays a gritty hard game as well. 

Super excited about Podz, but the fanbase should really try to keep expectations in line. He was a 4th liner in the KHL for the most part. I know he deserved more time than he got, but at the end of the day he was typically in the bottom 6 in the KHL. Expecting him to make the move to NA and play in a better league in the top 6 right away is a lot of pressure to place on this kid. 

Garland is not playing 3rd line, at least to start the season. If things go bad then who knows, but he will be and I think should be Bo's winger. I say give Hoglander the LW line 2 spot and move Pearson down to 3rd line LW (only concern is that makes our second line a little small, so you can swap these two around a bit to find best fit). 

Pearson is a decent 2 way forward that can handle defensive matchups with Dickinson and that 3rd line RW spot can be Podz or Motte perhaps takes it since he's likely a better checker and then Podz can start the year on the 4th line which is okay as well. 

Edited by Bobby James

2 hours ago, MattJVD said:

This is basically the only question IMO. Do coaches spread the offensive and defensive players around a bit? In which case I'd imagine we see Pearson stick with Horvat and Hoglander bring some offensive skill too the third line.

Or do they load up the offense on line two with Hoglander there and make the Dickenson line more defense oriented (with Pearson)?

I'd imagine the former will likely be the default, spread the threat and make us harder to defend against. But I imagine we'll also see a lot of the latter depending on opponent or situation (trailing in a game).