The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

47 minutes ago, Googlie said:

He reminds me more of Clark Gillies.  Igor probably never saw Gillies in his prime, but he was one of the players that first got me interested in hockey when I came over in '77.  Similar size and weight, and both wingers.  If Podz ends up with similar career numbers that'd be ok ... almost 700 points in 950 games, with 10 consecutive seasons as a + player.  Ofc wouldn't have as many PIMs. - fighting was more of a thing then and anyway, Podz isn't a fighter  -  more of a scrapper, somewhat in the Horvat mold.   

But I could see Podz - Petey - Boeser as a reincarnation of the Gillies - Trottier - Bossy line,  which would be ok with me !!

I don't think that Pods has an on off switch like Gillies had. I can not remember who the broadcaster was that said the best thing that the opposition could do when Gillies was on the ice was to just let him go for a skate. The last thing they should do was wake the sleeping giant up with a cheap shot.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

I LOVE his determination when he's on the puck (and even before he has it).

Now, if he was an Oiler this would be the point he'd do a flying axle double front flip, land on the ground and grab his (not) broken body part so the refs would assess a penalty.

But no, he just keeps calm and carries on...

image.png

Can’t wait to see Darnel Nurses’ 9 million dollar jock strap tied up around his own ankles ..  Podz could very well be as exciting to watch in his first year as Bure was.

Yes Their “games” are different, but something he does to help himself, or set up his teammates selflessly will shine bright.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

He reminds me more of Clark Gillies.  Igor probably never saw Gillies in his prime, but he was one of the players that first got me interested in hockey when I came over in '77.  Similar size and weight, and both wingers.  If Podz ends up with similar career numbers that'd be ok ... almost 700 points in 950 games, with 10 consecutive seasons as a + player.  Ofc wouldn't have as many PIMs. - fighting was more of a thing then and anyway, Podz isn't a fighter  -  more of a scrapper, somewhat in the Horvat mold.   

But I could see Podz - Petey - Boeser as a reincarnation of the Gillies - Trottier - Bossy line,  which would be ok with me !!

Not going to happen. 

Trottier was 5'11" 200 lbs. of skill and a ton of meanness, something that Pettersson is not and will ever be (Pettersson = hybrid of Datsyuk and Gretzky, a completely different type of player).

Bossy was 6'0" 180 lbs. of slickness who could score from anywhere on the ice.  As good as Boeser is and as a pure goal scorer he is in today's NHL, it's a stretch to think he would produce like who may have been the single purest goal scorer to play in the NHL (though Brett Hull, Alex Ovechkin, Jari Kurri, Mario Lemieux may have something to say about that).

As far as the comparison of Podkolzin to Jethro is concerned, there might be some merit to it.  But I would tend to agree with Larionov's comparison to pre-Canucks Mark Messier.

I was a Habs and Isles fan as a kid, and to this day, I believe that the way to build a championship team is the way Sam Pollock and Bill Torrey did, respectively.  These were teams that could beat you with goaltending, skill and their fists.  At the same time.  Hate to say it, but Glen Sather's Oilers were built like this as well.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Not going to happen. 

Trottier was 5'11" 200 lbs. of skill and a ton of meanness, something that Pettersson is not and will ever be (Pettersson = hybrid of Datsyuk and Gretzky, a completely different type of player).

Bossy was 6'0" 180 lbs. of slickness who could score from anywhere on the ice.  As good as Boeser is and as a pure goal scorer he is in today's NHL, it's a stretch to think he would produce like who may have been the single purest goal scorer to play in the NHL (though Brett Hull, Alex Ovechkin, Jari Kurri, Mario Lemieux may have something to say about that).

As far as the comparison of Podkolzin to Jethro is concerned, there might be some merit to it.  But I would tend to agree with Larionov's comparison to pre-Canucks Mark Messier.

I was a Habs and Isles fan as a kid, and to this day, I believe that the way to build a championship team is the way Sam Pollock and Bill Torrey did, respectively.  These were teams that could beat you with goaltending, skill and their fists.  At the same time.  Hate to say it, but Glen Sather's Oilers were built like this as well.

People confuse “reminds me of” to “this line will definitely be the best line in all of hockey”.  Lol. I understand what Googlie meant.   The Podz Petey Boeser line has similar elements to that legendary Islanders line.  With the exception of last year Boeser hasn’t had a full healthy season yet.  He went 4 consecutive years where he had an injury that season.  But when healthy he’s a star and will put up 30 goals.  Petey has had similar injuries the last few seasons but he also is fully capable of 35+ goals and 90+ points.  Podkolzin playing with Petey gives an element of toughness that he hasn’t had (no offence to Miller) and Podz will take pressure off Petey if Green chooses to go that route.  I like the look of this line.  And yes it has potential to be a very good line.  Gives me West Coast Express line vibes.  Similar elements of strength, speed and tenacity.  Having a strong player like Podz on that line to fight in the corners and get the puck out will prolong Boeser and Petey’s careers. 

Edited by Pure961089
Adding to my post

Not sure about the rest of the lines but if Podz could go over to the left side I think he would compliment Petey very similarly to Miller.  This of course means that Petey's fo% gets over 50 and Podz is ready for top minutes and build great chemistry with Petey and Boeser. 

The forward lines look really strong and should be a high octane offence this year.  The only areas of weakness would be Petey's fo abilities and our left wing is a little lacking in skill (if Miller went to center).  Lots of options for Green though.

So:

Podz- Petey-Boes

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Dickenson-Miller-Högs

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

Balanced skill, grit, enough size, defensive acumen and speed on all lines.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Me too. Lots of discussion around that year's "fab five".   Who'd have thought Jagr would turn out to be the best of them all

Nedved thought and said so when he was drafted. Actually said it to the Canucks before he was drafted didn't he?

Edited by frank einstein
  • Vintage 1

If or when PodKolzin is able to play first line minutes this year with Pettersson and Boeser . than you have you next 2 lines with Miller [Garland and Dickerson ] on one line and Horvat [ Pearson and hogs] on the other . Both lines should be able to put up lots of points . if you're the opposition who do you play against who ? your top line against Petey  but than what . miller and Horvat should have a fun year 

26 minutes ago, frank einstein said:

Nedved thought and said so when he was drafted. Actually said it to the Canucks before he was drafted didn't he?

I re,ember that draft; it was here.  I think Nedved, when asked about the top five guys said, “Jagr is Jagr.”  I remember really wanting Jagr too.  I think we win the Cup in ‘94 with Jagr.  Bure and Jagr.  Damn, what should have been.  

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1