The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I re,ember that draft; it was here.  I think Nedved, when asked about the top five guys said, “Jagr is Jagr.”  I remember really wanting Jagr too.  I think we win the Cup in ‘94 with Jagr.  Bure and Jagr.  Damn, what should have been.  

Imagine if they draft Jagr and keep Larionov. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We likely win a couple Cups in that window.  For sure in 94, and likely 95 too.  

image.jpeg.4f1a19af06d9898a830a1190eef4338c.jpeg

And why did we get rid of Larionov?  Because of one mistake at the blue line against the Oilers in the playoffs.  Detroit be like “Yoink”!  Thanks”!   Proceed to win Stanley Cups a couple years later.  Meanwhile what do we do? Begin to immediately dismantle the team that went to the finals getting rid of Adams and Mommesso.  Lol

1 hour ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Not sure about the rest of the lines but if Podz could go over to the left side I think he would compliment Petey very similarly to Miller.  This of course means that Petey's fo% gets over 50 and Podz is ready for top minutes and build great chemistry with Petey and Boeser. 

The forward lines look really strong and should be a high octane offence this year.  The only areas of weakness would be Petey's fo abilities and our left wing is a little lacking in skill (if Miller went to center).  Lots of options for Green though.

So:

Podz- Petey-Boes

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Dickenson-Miller-Högs

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

Balanced skill, grit, enough size, defensive acumen and speed on all lines.

I might flip Dickenson and Podz from time to time but stretching out the top 6 to a top 9 makes a lot of sense to me. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I re,ember that draft; it was here.  I think Nedved, when asked about the top five guys said, “Jagr is Jagr.”  I remember really wanting Jagr too.  I think we win the Cup in ‘94 with Jagr.  Bure and Jagr.  Damn, what should have been.  

Bure and Jagr. Never thought about it like that before. Yikes! 

21 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Imagine if they draft Jagr and keep Larionov. 

Larionov had to leave because something to do with resigning him the Canucks would have had to fork over money to the Russin Hockey Fed and Igor was totally against that . if I remember correctly

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Funny reading people talk about the Nedvad Jagr draft as he fell to fifth after leaking that he wasn't coming to NA for sometime but told Pittsburgh he would if they drafted him . That's all I kept thinking when Podkolzin kept getting closer to the Canucks in his draft . as each pick went by it " OK one more " . I was so Excited when he didn't go 9th than it was just " OK don't screw this up "  .

I compared what little I had seen and heard of him to the rookie winger drafted 2 overall Treavor Linden who was dominating along the boards had tons of skill and was future captain material 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Nurnge said:

Funny reading people talk about the Nedvad Jagr draft as he fell to fifth after leaking that he wasn't coming to NA for sometime but told Pittsburgh he would if they drafted him . That's all I kept thinking when Podkolzin kept getting closer to the Canucks in his draft . as each pick went by it " OK one more " . I was so Excited when he didn't go 9th than it was just " OK don't screw this up "  .

I compared what little I had seen and heard of him to the rookie winger drafted 2 overall Treavor Linden who was dominating along the boards had tons of skill and was future captain material 

If the Ducks had of drafted Podz the Canucks have an equally easy slam dunk in Zegras.  Though Podkolzin looks like a better fit and meets more of the Canucks needs atm.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

If the Ducks had of drafted Podz the Canucks have an equally easy slam dunk in Zegras.  Though Podkolzin looks like a better fit and meets more of the Canucks needs atm.  

Two completely different players. Both potentially great, but I like the fact Podz plays with the heart of a lion. He's not going to be easy to play against. 

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

And why did we get rid of Larionov?  Because of one mistake at the blue line against the Oilers in the playoffs.  Detroit be like “Yoink”!  Thanks”!   Proceed to win Stanley Cups a couple years later.  Meanwhile what do we do? Begin to immediately dismantle the team that went to the finals getting rid of Adams and Mommesso.  Lol

Canucks didn’t get rid of Larionov. He left to get out of a Canuck NHL contract that paid the Russian Government.

The Russian Army wouldn’t let him go to the NHL unless he gave the Russian government a high % of NHL contract.

anywho this 2021.

We got Podkolzin here ,he looks like a gem and a great fit for this Canucks team.

24 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Two completely different players. Both potentially great, but I like the fact Podz plays with the heart of a lion. He's not going to be easy to play against. 

For sure. He is the playoff warrior type, as he has already demonstrated. Gives it 100% every shift, except when it really matters he somehow manages to scrape up another 10%. So far he is another Trevor, with higher playoff point production than regular season. Will be interesting to see if he can continue that in the NHL.

On 9/17/2021 at 9:30 AM, Goal:thecup said:

13th forward is definitely up for grabs; e.g. Lockwood is looking good.

And there will be some shuffling and perhaps dropping some contracts to get HP Sauce (Hughes/Pettersson) signed under the cap.

I see a lot of posters have the wings on their 'wrong' sides; isn't Hogz left side & Podz right side?

My lineup isn't really for now as Podz will most likely need time to force his way up the right side.

Is Garland as comfortable on the left?

If so, we have even more flexibility; and Garland might could make a good 3C perhaps?

With Garland 5'10 and Hoglander 5'10 we can't have them on same line..Both goal scorers are right shooters Garland RW and Boeser RW..

I would think Green might try Podkolzin on LW with Horvat and Garland...Green did this with Hoglander last year..Lets hope Podkolzin can run with this..

Predict goals..

1. Miller 25- Petey 31 -- Boesers 34

2.Podkolzin 19--Horvat 26 -- Garland 28

3. Pearson 16 - Dickinson 14 --Hoglander 19 ( Hoglander will get time in top 6)

4. MacEwen 12 - Sutter 12 -- Motte 14

15 minutes ago, wildcam said:

With Garland 5'10 and Hoglander 5'10 we can't have them on same line..Both goal scorers are right shooters Garland RW and Boeser RW..

I would think Green might try Podkolzin on LW with Horvat and Garland...Green did this with Hoglander last year..Lets hope Podkolzin can run with this..

Predict goals..

Nice goal guesses.. i wonder if we have ever had 12 forwards with double digit goals in a season before

• Vintage 1

15 hours ago, wildcam said:

Predict goals..

I really think Petey needs someone strong to dig for the puck, for the longevity of his career.  I’d like to see a full healthy season from Petey and I think he’d do really well playing with Podz.  Either that or put Petey on the right wing and Miller at centre.  If not a line like Hogz - Petey - Podz would be better.  He has 2 wingers with high octane motors that have a strong lower bodies.  I’m conflicted though because I like Boeser with Petey as well.  Either way Petey would do much better playing with more muscle on his line.  

• Cheers 1