The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Reason for lack of trades: salary cap may fall short of already low projections

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

I am legit so scared Benning is gonna trade our 2020 1st UNPROTECTED to COL.. Even if it was protected im still scared cuz apparently that draft is deep af... I think its best to wait for Barrie to hit FA next summer tbh. Tank another year; grab another sexy ass prospect and compete the following year. 

Not to disagree with you but doesn’t picking Pod show that JB is playing the long game? 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

I think we'll only make playoffs if we have a miracle season and have minimal injuries. Chances are minimal. I won't say impossible. 

Holtz, Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond, etc. Im drooling. 

Good chance we might be picking high due to the d situation; one more blah year and hopefully the lottery finally goes our way.

3 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Not to disagree with you but doesn’t picking Pod show that JB is playing the long game? 

Seems like it to me too; hopefully the Aquillini's make a good decision and signs him so he will have a chance to win with his core..... 

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

Folks saying it is probably the owners messing with the numbers.  It doesn’t impact the owners at all, at least as a whole since higher contracts just mean more escrow coming back to them.

This is the NHLPA deciding whether it wants to screw this year’s free agent crop, or screw players with existing contracts with bigger escrow.

I always thought the escrow issue would be taken care of when Seattle came on-board and the new US TV deal got signed.  Both of those things are going to dramatically increase league revenue, so it would be easier to just let that help catch up to the artificially high cap number.

It could end up great for us if the cap is really low for the next two years.  We can get assets from cap screwed teams, and our three big RFAs (Boeser, Petterson, and Hughes) need to negotiate their salaries in a depressed market.  Three and four years from now when we see the results of the TV deal and Seattle revenue... there will be a huge cap jump.  If we have our big guys signed to long term dead before that, the. Their contract immediately look good in terms of % of the cap they take up.

canucks have so much salary cap, why arent they trying to find that perfect def or forwards? subban already traded ....very confused why we not trading for someone, our def sucks so bad, already proven last year

soon anyone good will be traded :(

Edited by Dave "The Hammer" Schultz

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

The VP pick not only continues to prove JB has a plan in place, but also that FA is on board with the plan. JB's job is not on the line like some haters think. He is so ahead in the good books that there is no question he gets re-signed. I don't care what haters think, JB is one of the best GMs in the league. 

Ditto, JB earlier seems to had been affected by a different mandate from his Boss's but the current decisions seem to reflect a different mandate which seems to me to build through the draft...