The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Patrick Marleau, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick, 2020 7th-round pick to Hurricanes for 2020 6th-round pick

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Marleau would not help the Canucks team at all. Remember last year EP went to boards to retrieve the puck got thrown down and injured in FLD. Then same vs MTL when he hurt his knee. Both times he was alone trying to get puck behind the net in O zone. 

Boeser can't do that either. He's a shooter. He can't be the board player and puck retriever. He's not that player. 

EP needs a Miller type really bad. Just like Bo and Pearson need a skilled passer on their line. Nyquist or Panarin. 

We are going to waste EPs talent and put him in bad position unless we give him a power forward 

Miller is what we hope Virtanen could develop into. 

I didn't think it was a great trade when first heard.  Thought our 40th plus 3rd plus B prospect would be going other way.

But it's a good trade. Good to show EP that he's going to get a very good player to play with.  

You're still missing the point. I'm in no way suggesting we should have gotten Marleau instead, or that the Miller trade is bad or any of that. 

I'm saying the cost for Toronto is inflated greatly because he is being bought out to let him play somewhere else. If he was only a cap dump and he was playing in Carolina this year then you could basically keep all items in the trade the same and just remove Toronto's first.

If, and im only saying hypothetically because its obviously not the case, we were buying out Miller so he could sign somewhere else then we would be getting a similar or more comparable return to the Canes.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Cap hit is for 1 year and not 2.  They have the cap space.  Carolina bought themselves a 1st round pick for 3.8M.  

3.8 mill is correct. Thx. I think CAR  try to make him stay. SJS don't have room for him. 

SJS are very tight against the cap. They will keep Joe Thornton.  Have to sign Timo Meier and others. Might even have to let pavelski go and keep nyquist. Donskoi Meier lebanc Thornton 

I'm not sure SJS want marleau back. Pavelski is 34. What do they do with him.  

3 minutes ago, mll said:

It's a 1 year penalty.  

CapFriendly has a buyout calculator: https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/patrick-marleau#results

Well I guess they are only cap hit for 1 year, they pay out over 2.

Either way the extra value is that they are buying out his contract so he can play in SJ since it was the only way toronto could get him to waive his nmc. 

18 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

Well I guess they are only cap hit for 1 year, they pay out over 2.

Either way the extra value is that they are buying out his contract so he can play in SJ since it was the only way toronto could get him to waive his nmc. 

Miller won't have NMC or ntc with us. So we'll be ok. Plus we won't need to trade him in 4 yrs. He'll be 30 when contract ends. 

Even if tom dundon buys him out. I don't think SJS want marleau back. 

Just my opinion based on experience. 

What purpose does it serve. He left for big money and leafs. Either he retires or plays a year in CAR.  Hard to see how SJS make room for him. 

They're trying to win a Cup.  Marleau does not help toward that goal.  

He waived for CAR because he's going to ask SJS to sign him. They'll say no and he'll retire or play for canes  

Edited by WHL rocks

17 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Miller won't have NMC or ntc with us. So we'll be ok. Plus we won't need to trade him in 4 yrs. He'll be 30 when contract ends. 

Even if tom dundon buys him out. I don't think SJS want marleau back. 

Just my opinion based on experience. 

What purpose does it serve. He left for big money and leafs. Either he retires or plays a year in CAR.  Hard to see how SJS make room for him. 

They're trying to win a Cup.  Marleau does not help toward that goal.  

He waived for CAR because he's going to ask SJS to sign him. They'll say no and he'll retire or play for canes  

Yeah not concerned in the slightest about anything with Miller.

Pretty sure the Canes are already on record saying they will buy out. Pretty sure Marleau end back up in SJS on league minimum which is something they actually need. 

7 hours ago, iinatcc said:

There are similarities like The Leafs and The Blots needed to get rid of these contract due to cap issues and Marleau is still a good player. I am not saying Vancouver should have gotten the same deal as the Canes but the disparity between the two is gigantic considering both the Leafs and the Blots were in the same position and were not dealing in the position of strength. 

Disagree completely.  Miller was almost certainly a saught after, appreciating asset by several times.  Marleau has negative value, and is depreciating and the Leafs needed to add to him to make it worthwhile for a team to take him.  Complete opposite situation.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

3.8 mill is correct. Thx. I think CAR  try to make him stay. SJS don't have room for him. 

SJS are very tight against the cap. They will keep Joe Thornton.  Have to sign Timo Meier and others. Might even have to let pavelski go and keep nyquist. Donskoi Meier lebanc Thornton 

I'm not sure SJS want marleau back. Pavelski is 34. What do they do with him.  

They also need cheap players to complete their roster.  Depends if they prefer experience or prospects.   

Apparently SJS already has the ballpark figure for Meier - they spoke to him and his agent earlier.  It's going to make it easier for them to navigate their cap situation.

Nyquist is not returning.  Donskoi will test free agency but doesn't exclude returning.

Pavelski is turning 35 in July.  Can a contender pay him.  Per LeBrun he will meet with Dallas and Tampa Bay.

On 6/22/2019 at 9:19 AM, CanuckGAME said:

If that's the case so we're the other 28 GMs who werent involved in this deal.

Respect Jimbo or kindly leave.

Most other GMs don't have the cap space.

"Agree with me or kindly leave"

Just now, The Great Canucks said:

Unlike you, I don't want this team to have $6+ million in dead cap space. For someone who supposedly doesn't like us wasting cap space, you sure do love moves that waste cap space.

If we're going to waste cap space, we might as well get prime assets in return instead of having it tied up in hockey-playing zombies like Eriksson, Sutter and Gudbranson.

Just now, The Great Canucks said:

At least they can play. If Gudbranson can get traded, then so can Sutter and Eriksson.

Sutter and Eriksson are on the wrong side of 30, unlike Gudbranson. Also Eriksson's contract is atrocious.

It's not the same. Sutter could probably be traded with retention and little in return.

Doesn't really change my point.

52 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Sutter and Eriksson are on the wrong side of 30, unlike Gudbranson. Also Eriksson's contract is atrocious.

It's not the same. Sutter could probably be traded with retention and little in return.

Sutter is on neither side of 30.

He just turned 30.

He is neither on the 'right' or 'wrong' side of it. 

He's right at it.

And that's fine - his contract expires in 2 years - at age 32, right before the expansion draft.

Sutter is not cap dump. 

People that think this way don't realize the value of the high end shutdown centers, faceoff guys in the league (particularly ones that are right handed and can pitch in scoring on the counterpunch) - and there aren't exactly an endless supply of those.

• 2 years later...

I can't help but laugh at what Dubas did here with a 1st Rd pick and a cap dump vs what Benning did with a 1st, 2nd and 3 cap dumps to get 2 incredibly key players in return. I don't understand how Dubas still has a job but the way their season is going that may not be for much longer.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, 22and33 said:

I can't help but laugh at what Dubas did here with a 1st Rd pick and a cap dump vs what Benning did with a 1st, 2nd and 3 cap dumps to get 2 incredibly key players in return. I don't understand how Dubas still has a job but the way their season is going that may not be for much longer.

I do think we got lucky in the sense that Arizona seemed to want to part ways with a lot of future money to OEL. Also with OEL having a NTC only wanted to go to Boston or Vancouver. Who knows if Boston was even offering anything. Irregardless to also pull in a player like Garland into the deal and extend him to 4.9 million a year it’s a very good deal for Benning.

22 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I do think we got lucky in the sense that Arizona seemed to want to part ways with a lot of future money to OEL. Also with OEL having a NTC only wanted to go to Boston or Vancouver. Who knows if Boston was even offering anything. Irregardless to also pull in a player like Garland into the deal and extend him to 4.9 million a year it’s a very good deal for Benning.

If Garland keeps playing the way he has, the biggest steal will be that $4.9m cap hit. 

• Vintage 1