The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

• 3 months later...
On 6/22/2019 at 10:10 AM, CanuckGAME said:

Oh man this is a nice addition to the team 

Hope it's not expensive.  TB clearing capspace for someone big I think.

Even if it is our 2nd rd pick going the other way who cares?  Miller has 60+ PT potential.  Hes almost hit 60 before.

Sorry for bumping, but just gotta reminisce in how good this trade was.  Honestly, this might be the biggest win win trade in the last 10 years for any two teams.  Tampa goes on to win a cup, Canucks get a ppg player at an amazing cap hit.

I've quoted the most optimistic quote that I could find in the first 5 pages of this thread...and Miller still blew this expectation out of the water.  "60 point potential" lol how about try 90 point potential, who knows possibly even 100 point potential in a full 82 game season.  Most people think Miller isn't even quite at his best so far this season, yet if this was an 82 game season he's currently on pace for 102 points.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rindiculous said:

Sorry for bumping, but just gotta reminisce in how good this trade was.  Honestly, this might be the biggest win win trade in the last 10 years for any two teams.  Tampa goes on to win a cup, Canucks get a ppg player at an amazing cap hit.

I've quoted the most optimistic quote that I could find in the first 5 pages of this thread...and Miller still blew this expectation out of the water.  "60 point potential" lol how about try 90 point potential, who knows possibly even 100 point potential in a full 82 game season.  Most people think Miller isn't even quite at his best so far this season, yet if this was an 82 game season he's currently on pace for 102 points.

What bugs me is the flak JB got for the trade, especially in the national media. For all that flak he hasn't received enough praise for his home run. 

9 hours ago, rekker said:

What bugs me is the flak JB got for the trade, especially in the national media. For all that flak he hasn't received enough praise for his home run. 

I hated the deal at first and blasted Benning, slept on it, and ended up seeing why the deal made sense.

On 23/06/2019 at 4:30 PM, coryberg said:

Just did a little digging into his time on ice history and saw that throughout Miller's career he has averaged 14:50 a game. During his 2 best seasons he was over 16 minutes per game.

-In 2016-17 he had 56 points when he cracked the 16 minute mark at 16:22 toi

-In 2017-18 he had 58 points at 17:01 toi

(Including the 19 games with Tampa bay where he played 18:01 and had 18 points in 19 games)

In 2018-19 Cooper bumped him down to the 3rd and he had 47points in a below career average 14:40. JT most likely will receive 18 minutes a night in Vancouver, if you equate points to time on ice and extrapolate 14:40 to 18:00 you would see his total from last season at 58 points.

We aren't getting a wild card or taking a risk here this player is consistent, physical, durable and at 58 points he would have been our 3rd leading point getter just behind Pettersson and Horvat.

If the pick becomes a lottery pick I'm sure it will be #14 or 15. This team is on the rise and even more so with a player like JT and a mystery box coming on D. The chances of the pick being a top 5 are minuscule. If by some insane bad luck that happens we MIGHT lose this trade, either way I think it was a good gamble to take.

egotistical congratulations GIF

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I hated the deal at first and blasted Benning, slept on it, and ended up seeing why the deal made sense.

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Me too. I think a lot of us felt that way. The pendulum swing on this deal is incredible really. 

Same here, was very critical.

No one expected Hughes & Miller to be as good as they were, totally catapulted our team. I bet if ppl knew how good Hughes was the reaction would've been different, but thats not to take away from the supporters.

They deserve credit for identifying Miller & all the intangibles he could bring. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 1

On 22/06/2019 at 11:18 AM, Smashian Kassian said:

Because they mis-understood where the team is at and gambled on trading a 1st round pick for immediate help.

This trade was made in desperate hopes of boosting our team actually.

Miller is a fine player, not worth a mid or higher first round pick though. Would've rather added Barrie for this price. 

@coryberg

Yikes totally wrong. Can't believe I said that, tho I think I also praised Loui so.. thank god Barrie didn't happen.

And it turns out they were right about Miller boosting our team, after-all. B)

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Same here, was very critical.

No one expected Hughes & Miller to be as good as they were, totally catapulted our team. I bet if ppl knew how good Hughes was the reaction would've been different, but thats not to take away from the supporters.

They deserve credit for identifying Miller & all the intangibles he could bring. 

I will never forget how giddy JB was when he drafted Hughes, the interview immediately following. Never seen him like that. Like a tickeled baby, lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

@coryberg

Yikes totally wrong. Can't believe I said that, tho I think I also praised Loui so.. thank god Barrie didn't happen.

And it turns out they were right about Miller boosting our team, after-all. B)

I honestly think Barrie would have been non-impactful (except on our wallet lol).

Not to say Barrie isn't good, I just think he's overrated.

20 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I honestly think Barrie would have been non-impactful (except on our wallet lol).

Not to say Barrie isn't good, I just think he's overrated.

And would have been redundant with Hughes.

Same reason I loathe seeing proposals for Dumba. Especially for Boeser.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, aGENT said:

And would have been redundant with Hughes.

Same reason I loathe seeing proposals for Dumba. Especially for Boeser.

People are quick to overreact. Most of that Boeser for Dumba stuff came out of Toffoli playing 10 games for us at a point per game while Boeser's still finding his game at the age of 23. Granted Toffoli's on a hot streak in Montreal, but it's again a small sample size and Boeser's also now on a point per game streak.

I think moving Boeser would have been a lot harder on the locker room than moving Toffoli. Toffoli not being here makes sense. Could we say the same with Boeser not being here?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

People are quick to overreact. Most of that Boeser for Dumba stuff came out of Toffoli playing 10 games for us at a point per game while Boeser's still finding his game at the age of 23. Granted Toffoli's on a hot streak in Montreal, but it's again a small sample size and Boeser's also now on a point per game streak.

I think moving Boeser would have been a lot harder on the locker room than moving Toffoli. Toffoli not being here makes sense. Could we say the same with Boeser not being here?

Boeser has averaged 33 goals per 82 games over his career...Toffoli has averaged 23. Can't wait till Boeser "finds his game" :bigblush:

Edited by coryberg
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Frig.   If we had a solid contract writer we could have said in more detail that if the Canucks ended up in the top 16 we give up our 1st rounder in 2021.   
That’s gonna hurt.

Huh? Why is it gonna hurt? We gave up the pick already.

31 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Because if it was worded differently to say top 16 at season end in a normal season without covid 19 that would have meant the same thing as ( if the Canucks make the playoffs) and Tampa would have thought nothing different and agreed.  However we would not have had to give up the 2021 pick instead of the 2020 pick

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I'm glad we gave up last year's pick and not this year as it looks like this year might be a lottery pick.

Edited by HKSR

4 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

Frig.   If we had a solid contract writer we could have said in more detail that if the Canucks ended up in the top 16 we give up our 1st rounder in 2021.   
That’s gonna hurt.

3 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

Because if it was worded differently to say top 16 at season end in a normal season without covid 19 that would have meant the same thing as ( if the Canucks make the playoffs) and Tampa would have thought nothing different and agreed.  However we would not have had to give up the 2021 pick instead of the 2020 pick

You don't seem to be aware that the pick in the Miller deal has already gone to Tampa - who in turn traded that pick to New Jersey, along with Nolan Foote, for Blake Coleman.

New Jersey used that pick (the 20th overall in last summer's draft) to select Shakir Mukhamadullin - a KHL defenseman.

"That's gonna hurt" - as if the 2021 pick is still in play - makes no sense.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1