The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

4 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

Because if it was worded differently to say top 16 at season end in a normal season without covid 19 that would have meant the same thing as ( if the Canucks make the playoffs) and Tampa would have thought nothing different and agreed.  However we would not have had to give up the 2021 pick instead of the 2020 pick

I don’t understand it’s great that the pick was last years. Your saying if worded better we could have kept last years pick 20th while giving away this years which is sitting like top 5 if you look at winning percentage. I think I’d gladly give away last years while looking at what this pick could be. What would hurt is if we picked last year and knowing this year we didn’t have our pick while watching the boys struggle to get going all year long and see somebody else get our lottery pick.

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

It's this underlying wish/hope that the team fails - that I find annoying.

The constant hair-trigger hopes that things go awfully - so that the team can get rid of a whole range of whipping boys.

I'm not a big 'fan' of some of the players I defend - or all the moves that management makes - but I sure as hell am not going to run shade constantly at players like Virtanen, or Myers, or Edler - or whoever the hate-flavour-of-the-week is.

That's not 'team-player' material - it's childish me-first, counterproductive noise.  Being real, or critical of players - doesn't require going to the compulsive point a huge part of this market does - essentially constantly seeking to see failure - to satisfy a bent - a confirmation of personal dislike for particular players or management.  That is what rubs me the wrong way - and why I make a point of 'defending' our assets - imo there is nothing less prudent than devaluing your own assets.  Who really cares about CDC in that sense, but it's an entirely valid point regarding the broader media (reducing themselves to twittiots a lot of the time) and all the flake heat they produce around the team may not effect real world trade values, but it wears constantly on the young players who have to sit in on all those media scrums. Personally, I wouldn't be making them available - I'd have a media officer that manages the idiocy out of their days.

When these false points are publicly repeated by fans calling in and radio hosts agreeing for sensationalization sake, and vice versa, that’s when oftentimes there are actual repercussions to such thinking.

I love this team. But that contingent of fans who do nothing but find fault is as annoying as a mosquito around an ear 24/7.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Me_ said:

When these false points are publicly repeated by fans calling in and radio hosts agreeing for sensationalization sake, and vice versa, that’s when oftentimes there are actual repercussions to such thinking.

O love this team. But that contingent of fans who do nothing but find fault is as annoying as a mosquito around an ear 24/7.

THIS is the problem. And not just fans...I frequently hear/see a member of the media announce some rumour/theory or another and then a second media member simply repeats it as though a media member thinking out loud is an actual source and now it's legitimized 'fact'.

Then the fans pick up on it and spread the 'gospel according to TMZ'.

I

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

THIS is the problem. And not just fans...I frequently hear/see a member of the media announce some rumour/theory or another and then a second media member simply repeats it as though a media member thinking out loud is an actual source and now it's legitimized 'fact'.

Then the fans pick up on it and spread the 'gospel according to TMZ'.

I

Flying monkeys.

• 1 year later...
17 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Hahahaha this aged well

Still won't give him $9 million.  But lol

12 hours ago, Bounce000 said:

This is why none of us have jobs in hockey 

On 6/23/2019 at 12:49 AM, StanleyCupOneDay said:

A post in defense of the Benning trade.

I’m not going to read all of the last 100 pages of nonsense and I am only a random internet user, but here’s how I see it.

The cost of a top 6 forward today is a 1st rounder. Add in a contract already signed through the players prime years (26-30) at a bargain AV of 5.25m and it’s worth an extra 3rd rounder. Throw in a contract wasting player to the Lightning that allows more room for the Canucks to maneuver and there you have the trade.

Remember J.T. Miller was drafted 15th overall in the 2011 draft. The conditional 1st round pick in the trade is also lottery protected. That means the Canucks either miss the playoffs in 2020, keep the pick and give up a 2021 1st rounder when we’ll in all likelihood make the playoffs resulting in our 1st round being in the 16th-31st range or make the playoffs this season and give up a 1st round pick in the 16th-31st range in 2020. If we miss the playoffs for the next 2 years in a row that is the only scenario we give up a pick higher then 16th overall.

J.T. Miller has played 435 games and is averaging conservatively .5 PPG over his career (237 points total). Let’s compare that with the players picked 16th-30th from 2005-2014.

2014: 3 players out of 15 have a .5 PPG career average.

2013: 1 player out of 15 has a .5 PPG career average.

2012: 2 players out of 15 have a .5 PPG career average.

2011: 1 player out of 15 has a .5 PPG career average.

2010: 4 players out of 15 have a .5 PPG career average.

2009: 3 players out of 15 have a .5 PPG career average.

2008: 3 players out of 15 have a .5 PPG career average.

2007: 3 players out of 15 have a .5 PPG career average.

2006: 2 players out of 15 have a .5 PPG career average.

2005: 3 players out of 15 have a .5 PPG career average.

From 2005-2014 a total of 63 players out of 150 possible picked from 16th-30th overall played more games than J.T. Miller has.

Even considering that defenseman and goalies skew the numbers (as most aren’t high scoring) it’s at absolute best a 50/50 shot to get someone of J.T. Miller’s longevity of nhl career in the 16th-31st range of the draft as of now. He’s also likely to pass a lot of the players no longer in the league over the next 4 years too, making the chances of finding someone like J.T. Miller even lower. Going by the .5 PPG benchmark shrinks the chances further.

This doesn’t even take into account the possibility of trading for any 1st round picks in the next year or two either.

The question I pose to CDC: Would you give up at best a 1 in 2 chance to get someone with a career as long as J.T. Miller playing on the Canucks in 5 years or getting a guaranteed J.T. Miller with a bit more experience and a bonus harder to find .5 PPG career average now? I sure as hell would even taking into consideration he’s a couple years older then our prime group age. I’m excited to see what he can do with us!

I swear CDC would choose the mystery box instead of the boat, because it COULD be a boat.

AgonizingSlimyArmyworm-size_restricted.g

Not all of us were on the same side when this trade happened. Some of us were very happy. One of the few times I actually got something right :lol:

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Not all of us were on the same side when this trade happened. Some of us were very happy. One of the few times I actually got something right :lol:

I was pretty ecstatic and running around like three threads arguing with people that this was a good move. And he's since surpassed even my very positive expectations!

Still think we should trade him this summer though :lol: (unless he signs a darn good bargain deal).

Edited by aGENT

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I was pretty ecstatic and running around like three threads arguing with people that this was a good move. And he's since surpassed even my very positive expectations!

Still think we should trade him this summer though :lol: (unless he signs a darn good bargain deal).

All I know is we gained value from what we paid (no way we only take a 1st and 3rd for him) regardless of if we keep him or trade him. One of Benning’s best trades during his tenure.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 4/20/2022 at 10:56 AM, StanleyCupOneDay said:

All I know is we gained value from what we paid (no way we only take a 1st and 3rd for him) regardless of if we keep him or trade him. One of Benning’s best trades during his tenure.

Hopefully Allvin can re-sign him until he's 35/36 at something reasonable - or make him our next Linden trade tree...

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Hopefully Allvin can re-sign him until he's 35/36 at something reasonable - or make him our next Linden trade tree...

Another Linden trade value with domino effect would be outstanding.  That why we need one good young player and picks.  

If the Rags offer Chytil + Kravtsov + first we got to take that.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Another Linden trade value with domino effect would be outstanding.  That why we need one good young player and picks.  

If the Rags offer Chytil + Kravtsov + first we got to take that.  

One can wish anyways.    COL is also a nice target depending on how things go for them this off-season/post season.  Kadri is going to also get a good deal somewhere.    Wouldn't that be funny if we traded Miller to COL at the draft - poached something worthy - traded Brock as well, then signed Kadri lol.    I do think if offers come in that seem equal that Miller goes to the East though.    Boston is another team that would want him.   Re-tool is coming for them.   Bergeron isn't sure he's going to keep playing after next season.   PIT maybe too.    Not sure they re-sign often injured Malkin.    Think unless they have a hay maker of a post season they are going to start their rebuild... but who knows maybe they are ok with playing it out one more time and re-tooling with Miller.     

In the end this is what i really see happening.   Miller and Horvat both have to sign for us to have a chance at a run of 4-6 playoffs.   Brock is the low hanging fruit - but also think he will be back.   I think all the regular faces will be back.   And they make the tough decisions a year from now or during the season possibly.    A little core ascension...  That's all this team needs and it's reasonable to expect that... these guys are going to be better next season.  

Team is close...just needs a lopsided trade.   Maybe we use a pick from a trade for that or a trade for that or both.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1