The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

Can't wait for main camp.  Based on his SEL contract will he be able to participate in main camp?

Me too.

Dont know, but they couldn't do that for Pod cause of KHL. 

Got a feeling JB drafted another gem. 

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Can't wait for main camp.  Based on his SEL contract will he be able to participate in main camp?

Yup.  I say he makes our team too.  The kid was a steal at 40.  Top 10 talent. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I am an optimist so it needs to be taken with a grain of salt, however I feel that he may be a 10-15 talent that is basically ready for that next step.  With previous second rounders like Lind and Gadjovich I didn't have that same feeling.  Gadjovich's skating was a barrier and when I saw Lind live a couple of times he was good, but I unfortunately didn't see that x-factor that I was hoping for.  I think they both have chances of the NHL (Especially Lind) but Hoglander appears to be on another level.  His drive, speed, creativity are all best in class and he is NHL size already.  There really is no red flags off the bat that I can see.  

Couldn't have said it better myself.  :towel:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  I say he makes our team too.  The kid was a steal at 40.  Top 10 talent. 

Hoglander plays for Rogle in the SHL and their season begins September 14th. https://www.scorespro.com/ice-hockey/sweden/shl/fixtures/

Considering the NHL generally respects agreements with European leagues such as the SHL, most players under contract with there club will return overseas way before they get a chance to reach main camp.  European leagues training camp and their preseason starts way before the NHL does.  It would not make any sense to make him miss his own training camp, start of the season to have 2 weeks with our group to only cut him and send him back.  It is crucial for young players to start their routines and stick to them, and to disrupt that would only impact their development negatively.  

Unless there is a special agreement or the Canucks sign Nils Hoglander he is contractually obligated to return to the SHL before main camp as he is still signed through til the end of the 20/21 season. 

https://www.roglebk.se/artikel/s654aji00-3k501/rogle-skriver-kontrakt-med-jattetalang - he signed this deal last summer in 2018 and still has 2 years left on his deal in Sweden.

- We are very pleased that Nils has chosen to join us in Rögle BK for the next three years. He is a young guy who will fit well into our group and our way of playing ice hockey, says Rögle's sports director Chris Abbott.

Nils Höglander is considered one of Swedish hockey's biggest offensive talents and has played in the Swedish youth national teams from U16 and upwards. Last season he was taking bronze in the U18 World Cup. 

He made his debut in Hockeyallsvenskan for AIK 15 years old and already has two seasons routine from play in the country's second highest series. 

- I am very happy to have signed a SHL contract, it feels like the next step in my career for me. After talking to Chris, it felt quite right to choose Rögle, says Nils Höglander.

However, Vancouver can choose to pay his contract out to Rogle according to the SHL and NHL agreement

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2015/11/13/9696344/shl-siha-swedish-hockey-league-transfer-agreement-william-nylander-peter-forsberg-nicklas-lidstrom

But considering our glut of forwards and Hoglander just being recently drafted, I would think Canucks are in no rush to get Hoglander into the lineup.  So don't expect him or other Euro contract based players at camp like Toni Utunen, Karel Plasek, Arvid Costmar, Vasili Podkolzin.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Hoglander plays for Rogle in the SHL and their season begins September 14th. https://www.scorespro.com/ice-hockey/sweden/shl/fixtures/

Considering the NHL generally respects agreements with European leagues such as the SHL, most players under contract with there club will return overseas way before they get a chance to reach main camp.  European leagues training camp and their preseason starts way before the NHL does.  It would not make any sense to make him miss his own training camp, start of the season to have 2 weeks with our group to only cut him and send him back.  It is crucial for young players to start their routines and stick to them, and to disrupt that would only impact their development negatively.  

Unless there is a special agreement or the Canucks sign Nils Hoglander he is contractually obligated to return to the SHL before main camp as he is still signed through til the end of the 20/21 season. 

https://www.roglebk.se/artikel/s654aji00-3k501/rogle-skriver-kontrakt-med-jattetalang - he signed this deal last summer in 2018 and still has 2 years left on his deal in Sweden.

However, Vancouver can choose to pay his contract out to Rogle according to the SHL and NHL agreement

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2015/11/13/9696344/shl-siha-swedish-hockey-league-transfer-agreement-william-nylander-peter-forsberg-nicklas-lidstrom

But considering our glut of forwards and Hoglander just being recently drafted, I would think Canucks are in no rush to get Hoglander into the lineup.  So don't expect him or other Euro contract based players at camp like Toni Utunen, Karel Plasek, Arvid Costmar, Vasili Podkolzin.

Kid will get the chance to make our team.  Didn't he say that was his goal; to make our team this year?  I say he makes our team.  Kid is ready.  NHL, size, skating, skill, compete.  Play him down in the line up to start.  By Christmas the kid will be pushing the top six for minutes.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Kid will get the chance to make our team.  Didn't he say that was his goal; to make our team this year?  I say he makes our team.  Kid is ready.  NHL, size, skating, skill, compete.  Play him down in the line up to start.  By Christmas the kid will be pushing the top six for minutes.  

Just because a kid says that, doesn't exclude the fact that he is still contractually obligated to return to the SHL this next year.

Perhaps he is ready, but until Jim Benning and management contractually sign Nils and negotiate with the SIHA (Swedish Ice Hockey Association) - to which they would need to pay out Hoglander's contract to Rogle, Hoglander won't start at main camp.  His camp in Sweden starts in August.

Its the same reason why Dahlen and Pettersson were not a main camp for the start of the 2017/18 season.  Both were contractually obligated to return to Sweden, and once their deal expired then they could attend.  It is also the same reason why Vasili Podkolzin won't be at main camp.  Sure I would think he would want to be in the NHL right now, but he signed his deal for next two seasons.  Same with Hoglander.

• Upvote 2

FXLThSZ.jpg.b48c8662de1b1129464daa8d08458f0a.jpg

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Just because a kid says that, doesn't exclude the fact that he is still contractually obligated to return to the SHL this next year.

Perhaps he is ready, but until Jim Benning and management contractually sign Nils and negotiate with the SIHA (Swedish Ice Hockey Association) - to which they would need to pay out Hoglander's contract to Rogle, Hoglander won't start at main camp.  His camp in Sweden starts in August.

Its the same reason why Dahlen and Pettersson were not a main camp for the start of the 2017/18 season.  Both were contractually obligated to return to Sweden, and once their deal expired then they could attend.  It is also the same reason why Vasili Podkolzin won't be at main camp.  Sure I would think he would want to be in the NHL right now, but he signed his deal for next two seasons.  Same with Hoglander.

Thanks for all the info on Hoglander. Seems there is very very little chance he will stay for Canucks camp. It will do him good to finish his year in Europe and then come over for good at the end of the season.

• Cheers 1

Could be our best 2nd rounder since Demko. (Altho Woo was pretty good too)

Very encouraging he was playing (and succeeding) in the SHL last year. Small but strong & elusive. Good hockey sense & amazing hands. Not a bad shot either from in close.

I heard Ryan Johnson saying Hoglander was keen on getting the resources to take home & improve. He was complimentary of Nils game, work ethic, & desire to improve. Johnson has always struck me as a disciplinarian type, so that's a good sign especially coming from him. And he hasn't been afraid to be honest in his prospect evaluations in the past, flattering or not. 

Strength wise he could probably compete for a spot next season, but he'll be going back & I think its best. Let him work on his game, thrive in the SHL, and hopefully he'll be in camp the following year.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Jaimito said:

He can ride a unicycle and juggle like EP. 

I want to see them go head to head. 

Petey and Hogs should dress up as clowns and unicycle while juggling balls in front of their teammates lol.  We now have 2 guys in our organization that can do that

Edited by Odd.

Excited about this kid, but I think they will leave him in Sweden for at least one more year. He didn't look out of place in the SHL, but I think the Canucks would like to see him go back there and learn to dominate there, before bringing him to the NHL.

There's no reason to rush this kid, rushing prospects, no matter how talented, hasn't worked out very well in Edmonton. 

I think Pettersson really benefited from the one extra year, I think it will help Hoglander too. 

The NHL is a whole other level of punishment and endurance, it was taking a toll on Pettersson by the last 20 games, pushing too fast can kill a kids confidence. 

Can't wait to see him when he's fully ready. 

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

There's no reason to rush this kid, rushing prospects, no matter how talented, hasn't worked out very well in Edmonton.

Difference of course being that we have a whole lot more to surround him with now, and he won't arrive with expectations of being the next great saviour.  Not just the likes of Beagle and Roussel in the bottom 6 for support, but vets in Pearson, Miller, Horvat, and others up front.  He can come in on a middle-six role and not be expected or counted on to score, as even Petey was this last year.  With Miller and hopefully a healthy Sven this year, that's adding 20-30 goals to the team, not including the help that'll start coming from the back end from Hughes and hopefully other puckmovers to soon arrive.

What was the reason for him not being taken in the first round? On paper he seems to have all the tools and the drive to succeed but surely there must be some holes in his game that scared off some scouts. With more are more smaller players making an impact in the league you would think there would be less biased towards the bigger players unless of course skating is an issue.