The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

3 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Oh yeah I get that. I’m not saying he won’t get there. I think it’s very likely that Hoglander turns into a very good NHL player for 10+ years, but turning into one of the game’s very best is a whole different story. That would just be gravy. 

Oh of course, I think the fact he's playing like he is will make everyone happy as a clam even if he just keeps up what he's doing now.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

hoglander  has 5 pounds muscle on  machand  and started in league 2 yrs before marchand  he potentially  has more upside and has elite  offensive capability. Machand is a good hockey player but took him til he was 28 to get over 80 points in a yr   hopefully  hoglander  gets 80 plus points by 24  helps that his linemates will be petey boeser horvat miller podkolzin  going forward. Canucks outskated jets last night the passes and control we had during parts of game looked like a sedin marathon this teams winning cup in next 3 yrs. 

As nice at that would be, those are some high high expectations. I think we should just be happy with what we have now at this point and perhaps not expect superstardom out of him 10 games into his first season. lol

It's almost like hiring a rookie construction worker and expecting him to become the CEO. Like maybe one step at a time here? lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

Do you know how many players score 80

points in a season? Even once in a career? Not many. If Hoglander ever does that let’s be pumped, but if he doesn’t he’s still going to a really good player for a long time. That alone is a victory. 

hes got potential as does miller petey boeser horvat hughes if 3-4 of the 6 have 80 point seasons  look out  the league will be owned      next 5 yrs these players are in or entering prime. The fact that 4 yrs in a row we have rookies pushing for calder is unprecedented possibly 5 yrs with podkolzin coming into league next yr.  Lets hope benning can keep the band together the next 10 yrs  

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuktravella said:

hes got potential as does miller petey boeser horvat hughes if 3-4 of the 6 have 80 point seasons  look out  the league will be owned      next 5 yrs these players are in or entering prime. The fact that 4 yrs in a row we have rookies pushing for calder is unprecedented possibly 5 yrs with podkolzin coming into league next yr.  Lets hope benning can keep the band together the next 10 yrs  

im not saying hoglander definately will be a 80 point a yr player but he def has potential  to be a ppg winger thats a 200 ft beast    ( elite honey badger ) lol

Looked good on our top line, I hope he starts there for the next game. Miller needs a shakeup/wake up call but playing Miller and Bo might be a nice, heavy line.

Hoglander, Petey and Brock brings us absolutely no defence but Hogs has played well in the defensive zone and is quick to get back so I'd be happy to try this and see what happens. His puck retrieval is what Miller did so well for so long which is why the line was so successful.

Can Höglander put an end to the ever talk about "send them to AHL to learn to play NA hockey"? These guys from Sweden has got NHL hockey through their mothers milk. 

SHL is a better league the AHL. So let the players stay in SHL til they're ready to get in the roster.  And if they fail, then send them to AHL. 

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Can Höglander put an end to the ever talk about "send them to AHL to learn to play NA hockey"? These guys from Sweden has got NHL hockey through their mothers milk. 

SHL is a better league the AHL. So let the players stay in SHL til they're ready to get in the roster.  And if they fail, then send them to AHL. 

OKi so the game from a large rink to a small rink is not easy for everyone. It requires a good hockey iq in the first place and it can take a long time to get adjusted. When ur sent to the AHL it has often to do with adaption and the way u play with and without the puck and its faster in the NHL. I agree that SHL is better then AHL but the coaches and staff always make an in depth analysis and evaluates their performance accordingly. Hoglander was a superstar in the SHL but dont expect the same from a group of young players that is not used to a small rink. U need so much more then skill, u need to be able to adapt and act so much faster then on a large rink and that can take some time to get adjusted to. Hoglander is exceptional, but there are numerous players that needs to get used to it. So no..the discussion about send them to the NHL to learn NA hockey will stay. However its not the forum that has the inside knowledge about what they need....im sure u have figured that out yourself already. 

5 hours ago, Timråfan said:

There is no "one" development path that works for all guys. Hoglander is an exceptional talent and I'm glad he didn't need extra seasoning time. That might not be the case for all Swedish players. Let's leave it at that.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, c00kies said:

As good as Hogland has looked, I would have liked him being a pesky energy scorer on the 3rd line and had someone like TT in the top 6. 

because of the cap and covid season, we couldn't afford him. there were many teams around the league  who were in the same position, they had to let players go. we also had Luongo's cap recapture of 3 mill which was not Bennings fault as some keep saying it was. Benning i heard tried to get rid of JV, but it seemed nobody was interested.  Hoglander belongs on the second line with  Bo. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1