The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

'Why is nobody taking Nils Hoglander?'

I can imagine how Benning and the scouting team must have felt when Hoglander was there at 40...

Still to early, but again, what a great draft that could turn out to be for the Canucks.

Podkolzin, obviously, has looked great, particularly at the World Juniors (really hope that injury isn't as bad as it looked).

But even the two 7th round picks in that draft look very good - Aidan McDonough has been a hair under a ppg player at Northeastern, and Arvid Costmar was one of the more fun two way players to watch at the WJC.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

'Why is nobody taking Nils Hoglander?'

I can imagine how Benning and the scouting team must have felt when Hoglander was there at 40...

Still to early, but again, what a great draft that could turn out to be for the Canucks.

Podkolzin, obviously, has looked great, particularly at the World Juniors (really hope that injury isn't as bad as it looked).

But even the two 7th round picks in that draft look very good - Aidan McDonough has been a hair under a ppg player at Northeastern, and Arvid Costmar was one of the more fun two way players to watch at the WJC.

Hogs is one strong game away from leading rookie scoring. IMHO his ppg gets stronger through the season. Some rookies tapper but I highly doubt he will. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I still think he's a little Marchand. Perhaps a little more quieter and obviously too early to tell in terms of how much he actually produces over his career, but he really gets under the skin of the opposing team like with Forbort last game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I still think he's a little Marchand. Perhaps a little more quieter and obviously too early to tell in terms of how much he actually produces over his career, but he really gets under the skin of the opposing team like with Forbort last game.

Maybe a bit of Theo Fleury too?  His motor is not stop and he's fearless for a smaller player. Especially a rookie from Sweden, that blows my mind.  

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Maybe a bit of Theo Fleury too?  His motor is not stop and he's fearless for a smaller player. Especially a rookie from Sweden, that blows my mind.  

this was on my mind also, but then i thught nahhh just because fleury was a short guy.... :blush: not quite the same. fearless i agree on though. 

Rarely do any of our big hits make it onto the cut reels posted by Sportsnet's social media channels so this is refreshing to see. 

I loved the solid hit by Höglander against Edmonton when it was live, and to have it reshown and given some BOOM love in the Bacardi Hits of the Week promo is very nice. Skip to the 0:36 mark to start the clip :towel:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

They need to give Hoglander a bunch of tape of Gallagher.  If he can emulate that with his skill he will be dynamite.  

The Hoglander motor has more than enough horsepower and torque...just wait until he starts to cash in on the opportunities he creates.

10 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

People need to remember that Hoglander missed the World Juniors by 2 weeks this year

and

He led the World Juniors in points last year, until he was suspended

Remember he is a rookie, the best is yet to come!

I said in another thread that this kid has top line potential. He was driving play last night in a major way. 

• Cheers 1

Wonder what the possibility of Hogz being nominated for the Calder is. Kaprizov will win it, possibly Lankinen but it would be sweet to

have another nomination. He’s played like he should have 5-7 more points imo 

39 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Wonder what the possibility of Hogz being nominated for the Calder is. Kaprizov will win it, possibly Lankinen but it would be sweet to

have another nomination. He’s played like he should have 5-7 more points imo 

Hard to see him get the 3rd nom over Stutzle , and Kaapo Kahkonen putting his name on the radar. Ty Smith rounding out the top-5. Pius Suter and Hoglander maybe 6 and 7 each.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Hard to see him get the 3rd nom over Stutzle , and Kaapo Kahkonen putting his name on the radar. Ty Smith rounding out the top-5. Pius Suter and Hoglander maybe 6 and 7 each.

Yeah all true! Kinda forgot about a couple of those guys. Basically half the season for things to change but you’re right. The streak is probably broken but that doesn’t take away from the player we got in Hogz. Has a very bright future 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Devron44 said:

Yeah all true! Kinda forgot about a couple of those guys. Basically half the season for things to change but you’re right. The streak is probably broken but that doesn’t take away from the player we got in Hogz. Has a very bright future 

Agreed. Very pleasantly surprised by his energy and compete level in the NHL. Great utility forward in any top-9.

• Cheers 1