The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

9 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

That is quite likely@Timråfanbut a smart GM listens to his scouts that cover that area. Their have been some exceptional talents come out of Sweden in the past 2 decades and Höglander is going to be another name on that list IMO.

Yes, but Gillis probably listened to his scouts also and get a lot of stick for his drafting. 

So the scouts is more important for drafting than the GM, wich is my point.

Höglander has the right mind for this so he and Petey will have a lot of fun together. 

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

Yes, but Gillis probably listened to his scouts also and get a lot of stick for his drafting. 

So the scouts is more important for drafting than the GM, wich is my point.

Höglander has the right mind for this so he and Petey will have a lot of fun together. 

I have no real bias one way or another with Mike Gillis. His drafting was not as good as that of Benning but in fairness to him, he did not have the luxury of drafting in the top ten of the 1st round. Most of the players he did draft in the 1st, were late round picks because of the success the team had at the time.

It is great that Petey has a fellow countryman near his age, on the team. They are both fun to watch when they are on the ice.

2 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I have no real bias one way or another with Mike Gillis. His drafting was not as good as that of Benning but in fairness to him, he did not have the luxury of drafting in the top ten of the 1st round. Most of the players he did draft in the 1st, were late round picks because of the success the team had at the time.

It is great that Petey has a fellow countryman near his age, on the team. They are both fun to watch when they are on the ice.

Linus Karlsson was really good this season and he might come over fairly soon. 

So at least three young swedes together, maybe. 

16 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Linus Karlsson was really good this season and he might come over fairly soon. 

So at least three young swedes together, maybe. 

It is highly unlikely that he would make the Canucks right out of the gate but now that the farm team is going to be nearby their should be more ease of movement between the clubs in Van and Abby.

8 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

It is highly unlikely that he would make the Canucks right out of the gate but now that the farm team is going to be nearby their should be more ease of movement between the clubs in Van and Abby.

It depends, if Linus can make a similar impact in an SHL contender like Höglander did he can come right in. 

35 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

What Gillis didn't do is draft a notable player in later rounds. Benning on the otherhand has. Best examples right now appear to be Hoglander and Rathbone. Both have the potential of top line and top d pairing. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

What Gillis didn't do is draft a notable player in later rounds. Benning on the otherhand has. Best examples right now appear to be Hoglander and Rathbone. Both have the potential of top line and top d pairing. 

And drafting guys who are top six forwards and top four D are key to a successful rebuild.  Benning clearly missed on Jake and (likely) OJ.  But he made up for those misses with Hoglander and Rathbone.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And drafting guys who are top six forwards and top four D are key to a successful rebuild.  Benning clearly missed on Jake and (likely) OJ.  But he made up for those misses with Hoglander and Rathbone.  

I really think Jake will be Bennings only "bust" pick of his time here. OJ may end up playing on another team but he'll be a regular NHL player. 

Its unfortunate with Jake, the physical tools were there but who knew he was dumb? it would be hard to differentiate that in a crowd of 18 year old guys. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I really think Jake will be Bennings only "bust" pick of his time here. OJ may end up playing on another team but he'll be a regular NHL player. 

Its unfortunate with Jake, the physical tools were there but who knew he was dumb? it would be hard to differentiate that in a crowd of 18 year old guys. 

I think I was trying to point out that during the rebuilding phase, when teams are often drafting top ten, there will be first round misses.  But those misses can be overcome by later round successes, like Benning did with Hoglander and Rathbone.  Hoglander covers for the Jake miss.  I remember the Hawks drafting Skille and Barker top ten during their rebuild.  But, they got their Hoglander and Rathbone guys in later rounds to make up for the mistakes.  

Hoglander is almost the perfect build to be great in the o zone.  Kid is literally a block of muscle.  Great pick!  

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think I was trying to point out that during the rebuilding phase, when teams are often drafting top ten, there will be first round misses.  But those misses can be overcome by later round successes, like Benning did with Hoglander and Rathbone.  Hoglander covers for the Jake miss.  I remember the Hawks drafting Skille and Barker top ten during their rebuild.  But, they got their Hoglander and Rathbone guys in later rounds to make up for the mistakes.  

Hoglander is almost the perfect build to be great in the o zone.  Kid is literally a block of muscle.  Great pick!  

for sure. Jake will be someone's Skille, just like Skille was for us. I'm just not ready to all OJ a bust yet, but I could see him packaged in a trade now that we've seen Rathbone. 

Its all doom and gloom around here at the moment, but there's a really good core group of kids here now. I'm looking forward to hopefully some big and positive changes, this place needs an airing out. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

for sure. Jake will be someone's Skille, just like Skille was for us. I'm just not ready to all OJ a bust yet, but I could see him packaged in a trade now that we've seen Rathbone. 

Its all doom and gloom around here at the moment, but there's a really good core group of kids here now. I'm looking forward to hopefully some big and positive changes, this place needs an airing out. 

Anyone calling OJ a bust after watching him in limited action this season has no credibility.  He could slip into a top 4 role quite easily next season and I think if any dman is trade bait, it's rathbone who is a bit redundant with QH in the lineup.

• Vintage 2

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

Anyone calling OJ a bust after watching him in limited action this season has no credibility.  He could slip into a top 4 role quite easily next season and I think if any dman is trade bait, it's rathbone who is a bit redundant with QH in the lineup.

OJ isn’t a bust, but Rathbone is clearly the better player.  Much like Hoglander is clearly better than Jake.  Hoglander is a key piece, whereas Jake isn’t.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

honestly I'd like to keep all three. They each bring different elements. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

honestly I'd like to keep all three. They each bring different elements. 

I think OJ:s stretch passes (best on the team even at this stage) and abillity to be a PP2 quarterback + shutdown potential is a very valuable commodity for around 2 mil a season. Yeah I get that maybe he isn't the 1-2 D you'd hope for when you draft a kid top 10 (although we never will know as his career will unfortunately always be somewhat derailed by injuires) but his talents and a proven ability to step up when the games matter the most at a salary below league average seems like a keeper to me and the kind of middle pairing D you need to win.

So yeah - I'd also keep all 3 of QH/JR (why is that not a nickname yet?)/OJ as they bring different elements that are all needed on a winning team. But yeah - would be nice if one of them was a RD...

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, J-P said:

I think OJ:s stretch passes (best on the team even at this stage) and abillity to be a PP2 quarterback + shutdown potential is a very valuable commodity for around 2 mil a season. Yeah I get that maybe he isn't the 1-2 D you'd hope for when you draft a kid top 10 (although we never will know as his career will unfortunately always be somewhat derailed by injuires) but his talents and a proven ability to step up when the games matter the most at a salary below league average seems like a keeper to me and the kind of middle pairing D you need to win.

So yeah - I'd also keep all 3 of QH/JR (why is that not a nickname yet?)/OJ as they bring different elements that are all needed on a winning team. But yeah - would be nice if one of them was a RD...

and lets also wait and see what OJ is at at the ripe age of 25. Kids got brains, which you can't teach. If Virtanen had OJs head he'd be a 35 goal scoring beast. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

and lets also wait and see what OJ is at at the ripe age of 25. Kids got brains, which you can't teach. If Virtanen had OJs head he'd be a 35 goal scoring beast. 

Not to mention if JV had OJ:s determination...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Better D coach could make all the difference too.

Hell I’d take Salo over Baumer at this point.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Better D coach could make all the difference too.

Hell I’d take Salo over Baumer at this point.

I'd love Salo back here. He and Ohlund are my all time favourites. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2