The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

It's a joy to watch this kid play, his effort and care always shows, so easy to cheer for.

Last year I felt like his feet and hands were too fast for his brain, too much of a jitterbug.

I think now with some experience, the game is slowing down for him (in a good way) which allows him to execute plays much better.

Lots of potential here.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

It's a joy to watch this kid play, his effort and care always shows, so easy to cheer for.

Last year I felt like his feet and hands were too fast for his brain, too much of a jitterbug.

I think now with some experience, the game is slowing down for him (in a good way) which allows him to execute plays much better.

Lots of potential here.

I really think he's one who could really develop to the next level beyond expectations, which is kind of refreshing. If there's one thing fans are good at, it's having high expectations to the point where they end up never getting fullfilled. This seems to be the opposite of that.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, #Canucks said:

He shall be benched for this sorcery-Green

This is a good and bad stat IMHO.  It's good because Hog does well recovering pucks, he's our best forward right now.  It's bad because this is exactly what's wrong with the Canucks coaching style.  Green insists on a dump and chase approach, and if the Canucks had all players in the top recovery stat in the league, I'm positive we would have more dangerous chances, likely more goals and probably more points and wins as a team.  The problem is that we don't have the roster players that this style of play matches - we don't have the horses for this game.  I think a puck possession style is more suited to our roster make up so we will continue to languish until A) Coaching change or B ) he completely revamps his "system".  B won't happen

Edited by Canuckfan_Brett

• 2 weeks later...

What is this kids upside ? When you watch him play now, just now, think of Raymond, Kassian or even early Ryan Kesler. Kesler got 10 goals in 82 games in his first year. Hogs got 13 goals in 56 games last year. Hogs is making things happen now. What's he going to be when he matures ? :o

He doesn't look small out there at all either. He doesn't play small.

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

What is this kids upside ? When you watch him play now, just now, think of Raymond, Kassian or even early Ryan Kesler. Kesler got 10 goals in 82 games in his first year. Hogs got 13 goals in 56 games last year. Hogs is making things happen now. What's he going to be when he matures ? :o

He doesn't look small out there at all either. He doesn't play small.

My gut is that he peaks as a solid 2nd line guy, maybe 50-60 points. That said, he could probably get a lot more with excellent line mates.

From Vanisawesome

The best player on the Canucks at driving puck possession this season has been tiny power forward Nils Höglander, who has the team’s best corsi percentage at 55.58%.

Corsi is simply shot attempts for and against at 5-on-5 but works well as a proxy for puck possession. After all, you can’t shoot the puck if you don’t have the puck.

The Canucks have out-attempted their opponents 264-to-211 when Höglander has been on the ice at 5-on-5 and his resultant 55.58% corsi percentage is good for 48th in the NHL.

9.55 - Höglander’s scoring chances per 60 minutes

Höglander doesn’t just push puck possession in the right direction — he also does something with that possession. No one on the Canucks is creating scoring chances at a higher rate than Höglander, who is averaging 9.55 scoring chances per 60 minutes of ice time at 5-on-5, according to Natural Stat Trick.

That’s not too shabby, particularly with the Canucks’ overall struggles at creating scoring chances this season. There’s a reason he went on a tear, scoring 5 goals in 6 games after going goalless for 10 games to start the season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

From Vanisawesome

The best player on the Canucks at driving puck possession this season has been tiny power forward Nils Höglander, who has the team’s best corsi percentage at 55.58%.

Corsi is simply shot attempts for and against at 5-on-5 but works well as a proxy for puck possession. After all, you can’t shoot the puck if you don’t have the puck.

The Canucks have out-attempted their opponents 264-to-211 when Höglander has been on the ice at 5-on-5 and his resultant 55.58% corsi percentage is good for 48th in the NHL.

9.55 - Höglander’s scoring chances per 60 minutes

Höglander doesn’t just push puck possession in the right direction — he also does something with that possession. No one on the Canucks is creating scoring chances at a higher rate than Höglander, who is averaging 9.55 scoring chances per 60 minutes of ice time at 5-on-5, according to Natural Stat Trick.

That’s not too shabby, particularly with the Canucks’ overall struggles at creating scoring chances this season. There’s a reason he went on a tear, scoring 5 goals in 6 games after going goalless for 10 games to start the season.

I noticed his strong CORSI today while looking at some other stats. Definitely matches the eye test.

• Vintage 1

On 1/14/2021 at 5:02 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeppers. Like hug.

But with the stress on the second syllable, the G sound continued into the second syllable, and with a slight roll to the L.

Hu(g)-GLAN-der 

(Like how the Swedish women says it in the recording sample)

And for bonus level Scandinavian: 

Try singing it, and now you’re speaking Norwegian.

Try saying it with a hot potato in your mouth, and now you’re speaking Danish.

:lol:

Yes it's definitely not HOAG-lander, the way most in the media have been pronouncing it. Here is what I think is the correct pronunciation: https://forvo.com/word/höglander/

I remember it was Drance on the VanCast confidently declaring (I'm not sure how or where he got the confirmation) that it was pronounced HOAG-lander. It caught on and has remained ever since. It really drives me nuts when I hear Shorty say it during the games. I hope someone will correct this at some point.

I suspect what Drance figured was that the 'o' with an umlaut is written as 'oe' in English, which one might naively pronounce as a long 'o'.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had to complain about Hogs ever, but the last two games he kind of annoys me.

He gets in on an odd man rush and waits too long and tries to force a pass. He needs to shoot more. Its actually really irritating watching how he can break in with his speed and wastes it trying to thread a pass that leads to nothing. 

His game has looked a little shaky at times, some poor decisions with the puck overall.

On 11/17/2021 at 9:34 AM, kanucks25 said:

Lots of potential here.

He's a beauty. But I just want to see him lift the puck on his blade (lacrosse style)and pop it in from behind the net. :lol:

• Vintage 1

Very hot and cold player offensively lately. Scored 2 goals against the Jets, but those are his only two points in the last 7 games. Hope he develops some consistency when it comes to finish. Still seems to be as hard-working as ever though, so I'm not worried.