The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

13 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Come to camp boys; you're ready!

Pretty good crowd for an exhibition game in August, imo; am I correct?

Really have high hopes that Hogs can bounce back this coming season. So much talent. A little work on his d-side game will do wonders.  

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Really have high hopes that Hogs can bounce back this coming season. So much talent. A little work on his d-side game will do wonders.  

Thought for a while BB didn't like him much; but it was most likely his injury problems.

Can't wait for camp; BB is not going to mess around like old Greener & Bomber did and waste all that time on guys who weren't going to make the squad.

Also, are we not going to have the Prospects Tourney back this year?

I always like to see which prospects management decides they can do without and which they are going to invest in.

Vancouver, B.C. - The Vancouver Canucks announced today details for the 2022 Young Stars Classic, which is scheduled to return to the South Okanagan Events Centre in Penticton, BC from Friday, September 16 to Monday, September 19, 2022.

This year marks the marks the ninth edition of the Young Stars Classic and first since 2018, featuring prospects from the Vancouver Canucks, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, and Winnipeg Jets in a four-team, round-robin tournament format. 

A complete schedule for the 2022 Young Stars Classic is listed below. Ticket information will be announced at a later date. 

2022 YOUNG STARS CLASSIC GAME SCHEDULE 
*Subject to change 

GAME 

MATCHUP 

DATE 

TIME 

Game 1 

Winnipeg vs Calgary 

Fri, Sept. 16 

4:00pm PT 

Game 2 

Edmonton vs Vancouver 

Fri, Sept. 16 

7:30pm PT 

Game 3 

Calgary vs Edmonton 

Sat, Sept. 17 

7:30pm PT 

Game 4 

Vancouver vs Winnipeg 

Sun, Sept. 18 

2:00pm PT 

Game 5 

Winnipeg vs Edmonton 

Mon, Sept. 19 

11:00am PT 

Game 6 

Vancouver vs Calgary 

Mon, Sept. 19 

2:30pm PT 

In addition to the tournament game schedule, there will also be several community activations during Young Stars weekend for fans to enjoy: 

• Thursday - Hockey Talk with Cammi Granato 
  • Sunday (morning) - Minor Hockey Skills Clinic 
  • Sunday (afternoon) - Party on the Plaza 

Fans are encouraged to visit Canucks.com/YoungStars to be the first to receive latest information on tickets and community activations. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Beats Hockey talk with Thomas Drance. :rolleyes:

As long as Ray isn't there it could be ok; he hates the Canucks and always puts them down.

I am interested to see and hear other management personnel than just JR and PA (although I like and respect both of them).

• Upvote 1

Even if Hogs plays his best hockey, he may still spend time in Abby because he's waiver exempt.

The team has so many top 9 wingers, that it will be hard to fit them on the team.  I really don't like to

see any of these players (including Hogs) playing on the 4th line.  The other fws need to play on an

offensive line to be productive.  Kuze in particular, will need +++ of time playing on a JT's or Pete's line.

I think they will start off with Hogs in Abby and see how the team pans out.  I have a feeling Hogs

will play extremely well in the AHL and will force the management to make a change on the parent

club.

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Even if Hogs plays his best hockey, he may still spend time in Abby because he's waiver exempt.

The team has so many top 9 wingers, that it will be hard to fit them on the team.  I really don't like to

see any of these players (including Hogs) playing on the 4th line.  The other fws need to play on an

offensive line to be productive.  Kuze in particular, will need +++ of time playing on a JT's or Pete's line.

I think they will start off with Hogs in Abby and see how the team pans out.  I have a feeling Hogs

will play extremely well in the AHL and will force the management to make a change on the parent

club.

Hoglander can play on the third line, Pearson is much more suited as a fourth liner.

Garland Pettersson Podkolzin

Kuzmenko Miller Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Mikayev

Pearson Lazar Dickinson

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Hoglander can play on the third line, Pearson is much more suited as a fourth liner.

Kuzmenko Miller Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Mikayev

Pearson Lazar Dickinson

Yes, Pearson is more suited to the 4th line. 

Imo, the Canucks 1st line should be Pearson  Miller  Boeser.  Arguably the best line on the team, that may

even get better if Brock comes back and elevates his game. 

Regardless, we will see a lot of line juggling in preseason to find the right chemistry and balance. The  P/M/B

line will probably gel quicker than the other lines.  If that happens, Hogs will be competing with Garland and

Kuze

Just now, higgyfan said:

Yes, Pearson is more suited to the 4th line. 

Imo, the Canucks 1st line should be Pearson  Miller  Boeser.  Arguably the best line on the team, that may

even get better if Brock comes back and elevates his game. 

Regardless, we will see a lot of line juggling in preseason to find the right chemistry and balance. The  P/M/B

line will probably gel quicker than the other lines.  If that happens, Hogs will be competing with Garland and

Kuze

Pearson can play anywhere though and plays a heavier game than Hogz which will be more suited for the 4th line.

I thought Garland and Petey had awesome chemistry in the last part of the season.

Unless we’re boosting Pearsons value for a trade I don’t wanna see him on the first line. I see the lines being much more balanced if he can provide offense to the fourth line while playing a strong two way game.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

As long as Ray isn't there it could be ok; he hates the Canucks and always puts them down.

I am interested to see and hear other management personnel than just JR and PA (although I like and respect both of them).

I can't agree with that first point.  I think Ray is a straight shooter, who isn't going to sugar coat anything or be a cheerleader for the team, which is an approach that too many on CDC seem to be find incomprehensible.  I really miss the fact that we don't have any guys with that kind of inside hockey knowledge ( which exceeds Drance's by 1000%) on local  sports radio..

As far as hearing from other management staff is concerned, that's nice to hear sometimes, just to get to know them a little better, But I think that if you want to get any real insight into what management is thinking and what they might be trying to do, you want to hear from the guys at the top, which is why i'm personally more interested in interviews with them.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

On 8/20/2022 at 10:24 AM, higgyfan said:

The team has so many top 9 wingers, that it will be hard to fit them on the team.

As I'm quite pro-Hogs, I am hopeful he plays well enough in camp and preseason they will have no choice but to keep him up.

There's also nothing saying a trade isn't coming before the season starts, which would open up a spot - though I expect expect Joshua will be playing on the 4th.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 12:30 PM, DeNiro said:

Kuzmenko Miller Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Mikayev

Pearson Lazar Dickinson

When I'm putting my lineups together I try to put someone who is more pass-first on a wing on each line.

This is pretty good.

It would be nice for Horvat to finally have someone adept at getting him the puck though.

So I tried this:

Mikheyev Miller Garland

Podkolzin Pettersson Boeser

Kuzmenko Horvat Hoglander

Pearson Lazar Dickinson

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I think might be able to squeeze Hog in there

Mikheyev Miller Brock

Kuzmenko Pete Podkolzin

Hoglander Bo Garland

Dicki Lazar Pearson

Dakota

He's gotta win puck battles if he's gonna bump Pearson so it should light a fire under him to play a more scrappy game we know he has it in him. 

Hey so Hoglander when we said finish your checks we didn't mean literally "Finnish Him!"

But this theoretically should be very very good line 5v5 with excellent possession metrics. Dare I say one of the best 3rd lines in the league if Hog can mainline some of that Garland energy.

7 hours ago, Muttley said:

Kuzmenko - Miller - Podkolzin

Garland - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander -Horvat - Mikayev

Pearson - Lazar - Dickinson ------ maybe they trade Dickinson ?

I’d love that, but I think the more likely answer is that they move Pearson which would be easier to do, and Dick plays left side and Joshua plays right side.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Crazy how many of his goals were pretty. Hard not to think he still has a lot of potential, despite his poor sophomore year.

Hopefully he joins the many players who come back and have great careers after having a sophomore slump. That's a thing right? Please tell me that's a thing.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Playoff Beered said:

Hopefully he joins the many players who come back and have great careers after having a sophomore slump. That's a thing right? Please tell me that's a thing.

It's definitely a thing. There's a term for poor second years for  a reason. Although not all players bounce back, many do, at least to some degree.

5 hours ago, KKnight said:

The forward depth is unreal. 

Which makes you suspect that's where a trade is most likely to come from.

My guess is Garland. He's the most likely to get something back and he's my favorite (which means he's probably doomed.) 

Garland gets traded, Hoglander moves up. My prediction.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just a reminder of why we can’t trade Nils Hoglander. He’s just too skilled and his potential is untapped. 
I don’t think he’s going anywhere for a rhd.  We would have to get a young budding star like Hogz to even consider it.  

Edited by Pure961089