The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JB and Bracket are starting to collect quite a few of these players other teams missed.  

Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes and now...potentially Hoglander?

Hee hee this brings me a lot of satisfaction.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Bert Diesel said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but go look at Hoglanders combine results. Normally, a player excels in one or two categories. Hoglander was top ten in more than half of all the tests. That’s potentially unprecedented. With that kind of strength and fitness, it shocks me that he fell to us. He is probably the best overall athlete in the draft. In my opinion this makes his size a non issue.

They were ecstatic to get him. It was his size and probably the usual "euro discount" that allowed him to get to us. Many scouts say he legitmiately has the best hands in the draft...From the videos of the on ice workouts at camp today, he battles extremely hard, and can dangle. Apparently he was the 'winner' at the combine as well.

He may very well be another steal if his size doesn't impede his ability to play in the NHL - but any kid with heart and intensity (which he seems to have) can overcome size as he's a solid skater as well.

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Saw some clips on twitter.  The kid not only has filthy hands, he has sick edges too

I see these were posted on a previous page.  I'll leave them up.  People should see these

look like he gave Teves more than he could handle :P

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Saw some clips on twitter.  The kid not only has filthy hands, he has sick edges too

I'll say it again... Hogs will be the second most skilled forward on this team in two years bar none... Barring a major  injury.  He's looking awesome!  So pumped!

Edited by Rodishred
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I see these were posted on a previous page.  I'll leave them up.  People should see these

Love the look on the defender (65) in that first clip.  Knew he had been completely burned on the move.  We aren’t going to be waiting long for this kid even though he doesn’t even look like a kid.

• Upvote 2

To me, size in itself is overrated.

*Weak* players get exposed in this league - in the playoffs in particular. But a smaller but strong player can still thrive.  Look at how Pettersson handled bigger guys last season.  Angles, smarts, speed, strength - these all factor into a player being able to fend off others. And he was literally still just a kid.  Add 20 lbs of muscle and his size will no longer be an issue.

Then there are guys who just play big for their size. Hoglander is in amazing shape and will be just fine. No, he might not be a physical crushing force, but he will be fine.  Besides, thats what we hope to have Tryamkin back for next year...

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Picked a Russian with the #10 pick. Picked a Swede with the #40 pick. I feel like good things are going to happen. If the Sedins taught me anything, the craziest things happened corresponding to their numbers.

Neat observation. I totally missed that. 

On 6/22/2019 at 11:04 AM, elvis15 said:

He's not the tallest player but not short, but you can see he's very solid in his build. Definitely has skill to pull of the move from behind the net, but looks like he can play the body as well.

Lol. Holy crap that was a cooker. Love how it just a nonchalant skate from the box to the bench with a a quick bomb on the way. Didnt even phase him haha

Edited by cuporbust
  • Like 1